Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Toriyama has watched at least the first two Broly movies. I was wondering if maybe he would think of giving Gohan the outfit from the second movie. That fits Gohan so well, and it would be a nod to that movie!
I am also very very curious about the lore of the history of the Saiyans.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:56 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Judging by the fact that his name was trending in Japanese yesterday, he seems to be pretty popular in Jalan as well.
Thats only because:

1. Anime is more popular their so something anime-related has a higher chance of trending

2. Dragon Ball is hella popular in general

3. The shock of a nom-canon character being the main villain of the dbs movie is enough to to cause buzz from even people who aren’t as crazy about Broly

He’s WAY more popular in the west.
Didn’t Toriyama partially justify including Broly in this movie by pointing out how popular the character is in Japan? Besides, if Broly managed to get three movies (which, keep in mind, were made before Dragon Ball ever became popular in most of the West), that would suggest that he does in fact have a following in Japan.
Good point
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:57 pm

emperior wrote:Toriyama has watched at least the first two Broly movies. I was wondering if maybe he would think of giving Gohan the outfit from the second movie. That fits Gohan so well, and it would be a nod to that movie!
Gohan has that outfit in the manga right now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:01 pm

sintzu wrote:
emperior wrote:Toriyama has watched at least the first two Broly movies. I was wondering if maybe he would think of giving Gohan the outfit from the second movie. That fits Gohan so well, and it would be a nod to that movie!
Does he? Isn't it closer to Piccolo's outfit? Piccolo's shoes don't really look good on Adult Gohan imo.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 pm

sintzu wrote:
The outfit Toyotaro is using in the manga is different from the one Gohan used in Movie 10.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:34 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Nakamura and Takami's interview about the universal survival arc more than demonstrates that there was indeed a great amount of thought and care placed into creating the TOP and I think it goes into a lot of depth about how and why they handled things the way they did.
To each their own, I think they handled the tournament horribly.

Yes, it has great moments in there, but that's surrounded by many extended fillery scenes/episodes that watered down the experience.

Like Jiren Vs Base Vegeta, who was the stupid that said "yes" to that idea?

To have Jiren evade Base Vegeta's attacks as it that should've hurt him, and on top of that taking half an episode for him to eliminate Vegeta, Jiren ignoring the time-limit more than Toei?

10 months to know anything about Jiren, besides he's strong.

Super Vegeta Vs Cell, Final Flash moment copied? Ugh.

So much time wasted with Ribrianne, from Vegeta, to Goku, to #18 (maybe even more if memory fails me) it was clear they had no idea what to do with her besides her elimination.

It should've been 15 episodes top, and without time-limit.
HeroR wrote:
Super has a lot of care, despite what fans think. I mean, you don't get something like 42 from people who don't care. Heck, I would go as far as to say that GT also had a lot of care despite the questionable execution. The same goes with the Super manga despite my issues with Toyo.
I don't see the care in delivering such an awful 1st episode, in unnecessarily repeating movies we just saw, or the horribly-looking episode 5.

They could've taken their time with it, but no, they wanted money A.S.P.A.

Once the horrible beginning of Super ended, at the start of U6 Vs U7, it was way better in some areas, it definitely improved, but the asspulls in the story were too many, too constant, it looks like a parody in some areas.

Why would they evolve though?

DB sheep will support them regardless of quality, over, and over again.

Issues with Toyotaro? I guess you and me see things very differently, as I see Toyotaro delivering WAY less inconsistencies than Toei, and Akira actually feeling present there.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Why do people take issue with Vegeta being scared of Broly? It'd make perfect sense why Vegeta of all people would be weary of the legend.

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 pm

I enjoy seeing Vegeta cower before Broly, and I hope we get more of that. Broly might be a mediocre character, but it's completely worth it if it knocks vegetable head down a notch or two.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:And as someone else talked about earlier, its weird how in the teaser, when we see the face of the saiyan, we don’t see a scar on their cheek where as Broly does have on on his cheek.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
It's on the lower part of his cheek, we are not supposed to see it from this close up. If you look at the second pic the scar starts about where his nose ends (the angle of his head can be confusing), and we don't even see the tip of his nose in the teaser, meaning that we are not supposed to see his scar.
Of course that doesn't confirms if the teaser saiyan is Broly or not, we don't know yet.
Last edited by KayDash on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Wow, so Vegeta will get thrashed again by the actual Legendary Super Saiyan? In Blue, no less.

Really excited to see how this will play out. But Broly becoming 'canon' will definitely be interesting. Perhaps Cooler is next. (Sylvestro voice: YEEEEETHHH ...)
Yeah I cant wait for this movie

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Nineteen wrote:I enjoy seeing Vegeta cower before Broly, and I hope we get more of that. Broly might be a mediocre character, but it's completely worth it if it knocks vegetable head down a notch or two.
I hope Broly makes Vegeta cry like Frieza and Jiren made him cry.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Nakamura and Takami's interview about the universal survival arc more than demonstrates that there was indeed a great amount of thought and care placed into creating the TOP and I think it goes into a lot of depth about how and why they handled things the way they did.
To each their own, I think they handled the tournament horribly.

Yes, it has great moments in there, but that's surrounded by many extended fillery scenes/episodes that watered down the experience.

Like Jiren Vs Base Vegeta, who was the stupid that said "yes" to that idea?

To have Jiren evade Base Vegeta's attacks as it that should've hurt him, and on top of that taking half an episode for him to eliminate Vegeta, Jiren ignoring the time-limit more than Toei?

10 months to know anything about Jiren, besides he's strong.

Super Vegeta Vs Cell, Final Flash moment copied? Ugh.

So much time wasted with Ribrianne, from Vegeta, to Goku, to #18 (maybe even more if memory fails me) it was clear they had no idea what to do with her besides her elimination.

It should've been 15 episodes top, and without time-limit.
HeroR wrote:
Super has a lot of care, despite what fans think. I mean, you don't get something like 42 from people who don't care. Heck, I would go as far as to say that GT also had a lot of care despite the questionable execution. The same goes with the Super manga despite my issues with Toyo.
I don't see the care in delivering such an awful 1st episode, in unnecessarily repeating movies we just saw, or the horribly-looking episode 5.

They could've taken their time with it, but no, they wanted money A.S.P.A.

Once the horrible beginning of Super ended, at the start of U6 Vs U7, it was way better in some areas, it definitely improved, but the asspulls in the story were too many, too constant, it looks like a parody in some areas.

Why would they evolve though?

Issues with Toyotaro? I guess you and me see things very differently, as I see Toyotaro delivering WAY less inconsistencies than Toei, and Akira actually feeling present there.
The bad animation wasn’t because of a lack of care. It was a lack of time. Super had an infamously bad pre-production and even the most talented animator could keep up, which is why Epsoide 5 happened.

And you not liking something has nothing to do with, ‘they didn’t care’ and it’s really annoying when people go to ‘sheep’ since it’s a big ‘stop liking what I like’.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm

BrolyKale wrote: This "new" Broly is a very interesting idea, they can do anything with him, its pretty exciting.
You know who else they could do something interesting and exciting?

Someone completely new, and not even saiya-jin, you know, something that shows they can do something besides being stagnant.
sintzu wrote:I have a question for everyone who're completely against this. If you're in charge of DB from a business standpoint and you know that people like certain concepts like Broly and you know Toriyama not only wants to do them but can also make them work, what would you do ? Keep in mind you're still going to get your new concepts mixed in liked Beerus, Hit, the pride troopers, etc.
Suggest Akira to create something completely new, make DB reach new heights, be way more than it is.

Also, Akira wouldn't had wanted poop, he didn't even remember about Broly, so I wouldn't have mentioned him, and voilá.

Broly? Irrelevant! He will keep selling regardless.

The best thing for sales is creating new characters A.S.A.P. with 131 episodes I would've at least 5 main villains to sell merchandise of, 6 counting the Not-Broly in the upcoming movie.

These guys move slow, I could do more with way less.
TheMikado wrote:
Dragono wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I wonder if people put this much effort into justifying Hollywood and TV execs “remaking” movies and tv shows on old concepts.
Absolutely. The force awakens was a rehash of a new hope and it made 2 billion dollars.
Um you do know the force awakens is a sequel not a remake
Yes, it's a sequel officially, but it's like a remake disguised as a sequel.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Alruneia wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I think that it has been confirmed that Paragus will be in the new movie as well.
Not exactly, but it's been noted that Paragus' VA is listed on the poster. He doesn't have to be playing Paragus specifically, though there's certainly a chance he will.
You do have a point.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:09 pm

You know who else they could do something interesting and exciting?

Someone completely new, and not even saiya-jin, you know, something that shows they can do something besides being stagnant.
This new Broly is a completely new character + this movie is about Saiyan's origins, and Broly will serve the story. Stop bashing Broly just because you don't like him, there's also Freezer in the movie, but people don't say anything about him being in the movie.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:13 pm

I do hope the new title will not be just "Broly". The experienced DB-fans of course all know Broly. But what about the new crowd? A subtitle 'Broly' is rather weak.

Broly, the Legendary Saiyan
Broly, the ultimate adversary
The Legend of Broly

Just 'Broly' says nothing to the crowd that doesn't know Broly. It just isn't a great title at all. From a commercial standpoint it's not very smart. It doesn't say anything. I really hope they'll still slightly adapt that.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:16 pm

They can change the title later on, don't worry.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:17 pm

IndieBooToo wrote:
Nineteen wrote:I enjoy seeing Vegeta cower before Broly, and I hope we get more of that. Broly might be a mediocre character, but it's completely worth it if it knocks vegetable head down a notch or two.
I hope Broly makes Vegeta cry like Frieza and Jiren made him cry.
I willing to BET Vegeta won’t get a worse thrashing than Freeza.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:I do hope the new title will not be just "Broly". The experienced DB-fans of course all know Broly. But what about the new crowd? A subtitle 'Broly' is rather weak.

Broly, the Legendary Saiyan
Broly, the ultimate adversary
The Legend of Broly

Just 'Broly' says nothing to the crowd that doesn't know Broly. It just isn't a great title at all. From a commercial standpoint it's not very smart. It doesn't say anything. I really hope they'll still slightly adapt that.
Even casuals know who Broly is thanks to being in video games.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:21 pm

BrolyKale wrote:They can change the title later on, don't worry.

They did it with their One Piece-films as well. 'Gold' and 'Z'. :thumbdown:

I am a copywriter myself: rule two is 'keep it short', rule one is 'say something meaningful in your title'.

That's really how it works.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.