Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Amir wrote:He said perhaps when Jiren was really suppressed, so that "perhaps" heavily implied Jiren had indeed surpassed GoD state, they would never add that line if it wasn't true.

Even if Beerus doesn't think this GoD is stronger, the fact he beat him in arm wresing confirms Beerus and that said GoD are at least equal, and Jiren is stronger than that GoD.

Besides, in 130 Jiren broke his limits and got way stronger so if you still think he wasn't above the GoDs before, after that power up he FAR surpassed them.
Your implications are not factual.

Take it to the strength discussion thread.
ricky84 wrote:Some of the Super designs on that broad are not done by Toyotaro. And some of the info on the broad if you read closely also references events that were anime-only. That debunks your argument.
No, the events are speaking manga only. As the descriptions and pictures are Toriyama's manga continuing with Toyotaro's Super manga images along with V jump covers. Nothing anime specific except for the Broly movie images which continues the canon manga.
MisteryOne wrote:Literally all of the Super designs excluding obviously the Broly movie ones are done by Toyotaro and most of them even appeared in covers or V-Jumps. Are we looking at the same image? Also when does it show anime only stuff? I only see manga only things like Zamasu being alonside SS1 Black after he saved him.

It's amusing that people keep thinking the manga is a promotional product when it stopped being so back on chapter 9. When was that, 2 years ago?
Exactly.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:44 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:That’s a bad excuse. It doesn’t just apply to kids, humans in general have extremely bad attention spans. This explains why so many video’s on YouTube and Facebook are so short. People, especially these days, have terrible attention spans. I remember back when i was a kid, i could watch something for hours on end without getting tired of it. So that argument is invalid.
This reply is invalid because you’re using yourself as on outlier out of billions of people. Meanwhile, what they’re saying is true. Its proven for a while that normally kids tend to have way shorter attention spans than adults. And that explains why many of the pg and g rated movies are 1 hour to and 1 hour and 45 minutes long while pg-13 to r rated movies tend to be 2 hours or more most of the time.

The argument is still pretty valid and your own experiences don’t tip the scale of whats been studied and proven.

A better argument would be that a lot of the viewers of the movie will be teens and adults, not just kids, so something longer than 90 minutes isn’t really a bad idea.

But imo, i think things are changing. 2 hours are staring to become more normal for movies and kids can focus on them longer. I feel like between whats being told in this story and the wide age range of people watching the movie (not just kids), 2 hours would be the perfect length to have the movie be.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Jesus-is Lord
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jesus-is Lord » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:51 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:That’s a bad excuse. It doesn’t just apply to kids, humans in general have extremely bad attention spans. This explains why so many video’s on YouTube and Facebook are so short. People, especially these days, have terrible attention spans. I remember back when i was a kid, i could watch something for hours on end without getting tired of it. So that argument is invalid.
This reply is invalid because you’re using yourself as on outlier out of billions of people. Meanwhile, what they’re saying is true. Its proven for a while that normally kids tend to have way shorter attention spans than adults. And that explains why many of the pg and g rated movies are 1 hour to and 1 hour and 45 minutes long while pg-13 to r rated movies tend to be 2 hours or more most of the time.

The argument is still pretty valid and your own experiences don’t tip the scale of whats been studied and proven.

A better argument would be that a lot of the viewers of the movie will be teens and adults, not just kids, so something longer than 90 minutes isn’t really a bad idea.

But imo, i think things are changing. 2 hours are staring to become more normal for movies and kids can focus on them longer. I feel like between whats being told in this story and the wide age range of people watching the movie (not just kids), 2 hours would be the perfect length to have the movie be.
Don't tell me this movie is going to be PG? Please PLEASE don't tell me this movie is going to be pg

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Jesus-is Lord wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:

Don't tell me this movie is going to be PG? Please PLEASE don't tell me this movie is going to be pg
I just checked in B.o.G was PG. Nothing for R.o.F but i’d assume its the same. Even the first Broly movie was PG.

Thats kinda sad.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Jesus-is Lord
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jesus-is Lord » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:05 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Jesus-is Lord wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: This reply is invalid because you’re using yourself as on outlier out of billions of people. Meanwhile, what they’re saying is true. Its proven for a while that normally kids tend to have way shorter attention spans than adults. And that explains why many of the pg and g rated movies are 1 hour to and 1 hour and 45 minutes long while pg-13 to r rated movies tend to be 2 hours or more most of the time.

I just checked in B.o.G was PG. Nothing for R.o.F but i’d assume its the same. Even the first Broly movie was PG.

Thats kinda sad.
The first broly movie was PG? Whaaat? Are all DBz movies PG? No way.the broly movie had hardcore violence and blood, plus had slavery, maniuplution, murder and wide scale destruction...how in the world was that PG? Plus the character acted like adults and weren't overly exaggerated to appeal to children... Was the world much tougher back then, has society gotten to soft?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:07 pm

sintzu wrote:One Piece is a story first so if that's what's needed to tell the story then so be it. DB on the other hand is being made to move merchandise first so as long as the concept is on screen they can give it the minimum time run which seems to be 90 minutes.
DB is a story first, also. It's plot is in a fighting format while one piece is adventure. The run time can and should be as long as DB needs too.

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Miracles wrote:
sintzu wrote:One Piece is a story first so if that's what's needed to tell the story then so be it. DB on the other hand is being made to move merchandise first so as long as the concept is on screen they can give it the minimum time run which seems to be 90 minutes.
DB is a story first, also. It's plot is in a fighting format while one piece is adventure. The run time can and should be as long as DB needs too.
Ok.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:45 pm

But what’s the problem if it’s too long for them? It’s all about the money. If they can get all these kids in the cinema’s than it’s a win-win. And if they check out mid-movie, (because they’re getting tired of it), then the money will still be in their pockets. You pay BEFORE entering the cinema seats afterall. Not after.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Miracles wrote:DB is a story first, also.
It was back when the original manga was running but not anymore. All you have to do to see that is look at how this Broly movie was announced, Toriyama didn't say he was doing it because he had a story worth telling, not because he thought Broly's concept was interesting enough to revisit, instead, he clearly stated that it was simply due to him being popular and his "editor" wanting the movie to revolve around him. Another example is UI Goku, it didn't debut in the anime but instead in Heroes and XV2. A movie that's being made due to popular demand and a major (if not the most major) plot point in the anime being debuted in a card game says anything but DB being a story first. If that's not enough, DB is a merchandise driven franchise which means it lives and dies by its toy and card sales like what we saw with Kai. The original manga and its adaptions on the other hand had to rely on the manga's sales, i.e the story to survive so if said story wasn't up to par then sales of the manga volumes would drop and you'd end up with a Bleach situation where the anime gets cancelled followed by the manga. I've defended this Broly movie since it was first announced and I still think it'll be amazing but let's not kid ourselves about what DB has become today compared to what it was during the manga's serialization.
GodVegetto91 wrote:But what’s the problem if it’s too long for them? It’s all about the money. If they can get all these kids in the cinema’s than it’s a win-win. And if they check out mid-movie, (because they’re getting tired of it), then the money will still be in their pockets. You pay BEFORE entering the cinema seats afterall. Not after.
It's not that simple as the longer a movie is the less screenings it'll have. If this were to be 3 hours long it'll only get 8 screenings per 24 hours. If it's half that which seems to be the case then it'll get 16 screenings per 24 hours. They'll make DOUBLE the $$$ by having it be shorter.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:07 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:But what’s the problem if it’s too long for them? It’s all about the money. If they can get all these kids in the cinema’s than it’s a win-win. And if they check out mid-movie, (because they’re getting tired of it), then the money will still be in their pockets. You pay BEFORE entering the cinema seats afterall. Not after.
I would assume they would be worried about word of mouth. Stock depreciates or grows on info spread.
However, If the duration is entertaining it would keep people wanting more. Don't have to worry about length if the content is good.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:16 pm

sintzu wrote:
It was back when the original manga was running but not anymore. All you have to do to see that is look at how this Broly movie was announced, Toriyama didn't say he was doing it because he had a story worth telling, not because he thought Broly's concept was interesting enough to revisit, instead, he clearly stated that it was simply due to him being popular and his "editor" wanting the movie to revolve around him. Another example is UI Goku, it didn't debut in the anime but instead in Heroes and XV2. A movie that's being made due to popular demand and a major (if not the most major) plot point in the anime being debuted in a card game says anything but DB being a story first. If that's not enough, DB is a merchandise driven franchise which means it lives and dies by its toy and card sales like what we saw with Kai. The original manga and its adaptions on the other hand had to rely on the manga's sales, i.e the story to survive so if said story wasn't up to par then sales of the manga volumes would drop and you'd end up with a Bleach situation where the anime gets cancelled followed by the manga. I've defended this Broly movie since it was first announced and I still think it'll be amazing but let's not kid ourselves about what DB has become today compared to what it was during the manga's serialization.
Super is just like original DB with a story based on fighting entertainment. It is merely a battle comic which resolves it's issues with the fist. Toriyama stated Broly was interesting enough to the point that he would rearrange some things about his character. Afterwards Toriyama stated he felt this would make Broly more fascinating and worth showing to an audience. So stating that DB now has no story and is only interested in pushing merchandise is not true cause it has good characters which is part of the story that compels merchandise to be circulated.
Last edited by Miracles on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:19 pm

sintzu wrote:
It's not that simple as the longer a movie is the less screenings it'll have. If this were to be 3 hours long it'll only get 8 screenings per 24 hours. If it's half that which seems to be the case then it'll get 16 screenings per 24 hours. They'll make DOUBLE the $$$ by having it be shorter.
Fair point. Didn’t even think about that! My bad lol

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Then it’s a just waste of time, money, and content. You put all this work into storyboarding and animating 3 hours worth of footage just for the targeted audience to fall asleep half way through. Might as well make it 90 minutes so that they’ll get their money’s worth without having wasted content, time, or money.

Thats part of their mentality.

Jesus-is Lord
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jesus-is Lord » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:09 pm

sintzu wrote:
WOAH, Sintzu?! How the heck do you know all of this? If what you are saying is true, do you know how many debates you could have single handly ended with this information?
So is that why sheueisha and toei will never adapt manga for dragon ball, and is that why toyotaro manga won't be adapated anytime soon, what! Anime that adapat manga are reliant on the manga selling well, so instead of that: it's better to focus on products and toys as your income instead of also hoping on manga sales!? Which is what toei has done
Hold on a second, why does toyotaro keep promising he'll be ahead and what impact will that happen for the franchise?
And I agree, this broly is quite nice, though I remind you the idea of broly was brought to toriyama and found it interesting to craft an Orginal rebooted story, he rejected the garbage ideas toei tried to sell for him so story is still important for toriyama at least.

This does make sense why toei is so fan-service heavy with super, and I that information about running time was some awesome tid-bit, too!
Alright, Sintzu!

Jesus-is Lord
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jesus-is Lord » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Miracles wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Super is just like original DB with a story based on fighting entertainment. It is merely a battle comic which resolves it's issues with the fist. Toriyama stated Broly was interesting enough to the point that he would rearrange some things about his character. Afterwards Toriyama stated he felt this would make Broly more fascinating and worth showing to an audience. So stating that DB now has no story and is only interested in pushing merchandise is not true cause it has good characters which is part of the story that compels merchandise to be circulated.
Maybe he just meant toei side of dragon ball are mostly only interested in the bucks, and only uses the good side of dragon ball (the one that tries to make good lore or at least come up with it) since they are the key for them making money. Very interesting.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Sani007 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Sani007 wrote:But why does Toei insist on 90-minute DB movies? This is the third already. :cry:
Their most successful franchise in worldwide, does not it worth as much as One Piece?
One Piece movies usually don’t run more than 90 minutes. That’s the standard length to almost all animated movies.
The last three One Piece movies:

One Piece: Strong World - 113 minute
One Piece: Z - 108 minute
One Piece: Gold - 120 minute
Hence ‘usually’ and all of them were in development for years before before release with Strong World being revised several times and caused delay. This Dragon Ball movie would have over a year.

That and One Piece tend to be longwinded at times. Like Film Z had three encounters with the main villain.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:56 pm

PFM18 wrote:
bleed0range wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:Why does the question of whether the manga is canon or the show is canon give people such a boner?

What matters, for the sake of continuity, is to see what material the current series references for past events. DB Super has shown - again and again - clips from DB and DBZ for past events. Which means that for the DB Super anime, DB and DBZ (the anime, not the movies) are its canon. That's it. End of story. Stop worrying about whether the manga is more canon or not - that's irrelevant. All you need to know is that the Super anime wants you to remember the DB anime and the DBZ anime as lore. Likewise, if the manga ignores the anime, that means that for the manga only the previous Shonen Jump DB issues are canon. They are two different takes on the same story, none is more canon than the other (which is *probably* why the creators avoid giving a concrete answer).

Can we go back to the topic now, please?
Everyone gets so caught up on the tiny details of what is or is not canon. But honestly, the Super anime decided that future Trunks suddenly has blue hair and that makes no sense. The “canon” is really whatever Toriyama comes up with and it’s extremely loose.

“Super,” in manga or anime form IS the canon and the major plot points are what matter. Think of it as a story told by word of mouth where the details get mixed around a bit.
Trunks was always intended to have Blue hair but Toei fucked it up when they made the DBZ/Kai anime. He was always supposed to have blue hair and Toei was simply fixing their previous mistake. Geekdom made a video on it IIRC.
You’re confused. Trunks had purple hair in the original manga too.

https://goo.gl/images/HF1sjd

What changed was Bulma’s hair. It was purple in the manga, but the anime made it aqua green.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Finally Gohan revelead:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Miracles wrote: No, the events are speaking manga only. As the descriptions and pictures are Toriyama's manga continuing with Toyotaro's Super manga images along with V jump covers. Nothing anime specific except for the Broly movie images which continues the canon manga.
BS. How in the world could the Broly film be based on the manga canon when the manga's ToP arc isn't even finished yet? Also, the film was in production back in early 2017 when the DBS manga was still in the Black arc. Plus, Toriyama himself had already confirmed back in January 2018 that the film was following the anime version and that the manga would do its own adaption of the film afterwards:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/03/12/of ... a-comment/

I swear, manga fans go out of there way to validate Toyotaro's version smh.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Noah wrote:Finally Gohan revelead:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Stop clickbaiting all the time. People are tired of it. People expect to see a real legit thing from the movie and all they get is some kind of stupid meme. These jokes are old and have never been funny in the first place. Kanzenshuu is not a clickbait website.