Umigame

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:18 pm

veshira wrote:I believe "iranai" means "No, thank you," in Japanese.
"Don't want to, or "don't want it" is how I've seen it translated before.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:29 am

"Iranai" would be pretty good, actually ("The Unwanted Crone"), but if I remember correctly, it's actually "urenai" that he says. "Urenai" means "unsellable," and euphemistically, unmarriable. He's basically calling her an old spinster.

Which, it must be said, is exactly right, just not very tactful.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:40 pm

Daimao wrote:"Iranai" would be pretty good, actually ("The Unwanted Crone"), but if I remember correctly, it's actually "urenai" that he says. "Urenai" means "unsellable," and euphemistically, unmarriable. He's basically calling her an old spinster.

\
You're not talking about the one that rides the crystal ball are you? She is hands down the one character who is content to ride in the background and have no influence over the events she sees. That's all I got to say about that. Don't slam Uranai Baba.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:14 pm

Daimao wrote:"Iranai" would be pretty good, actually ("The Unwanted Crone"), but if I remember correctly, it's actually "urenai" that he says. "Urenai" means "unsellable," and euphemistically, unmarriable. He's basically calling her an old spinster.

Yeah, I think he did say that but I also remember him saying iranai baba so he probably messed up twice. I don't have my manga with me so I can't verify that.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:34 pm

Mr. Announcer wrote:Yeah, I think he did say that but I also remember him saying iranai baba so he probably messed up twice. I don't have my manga with me so I can't verify that.
That's possible too.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:38 pm

I have mine and he does mess up twice. I don't know what he said in Japanese as I don't have that dvd nor can I read the language but in the US manga, he first to the ghost assistant calls her the "Ball-Seeing Crone", rather than the "All-Seeing Crone". Then to her face he calls her the "All-Seeing Bone". Both of them correct her. Been awhile since I've seen it dubbed but it was around the same calling her "Fortune Seller Baba" or something like that I recall.