Do you think Toei botched Jiren?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Do you think Toei botched Jiren?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:42 pm

Meh. The backstory is about as generic as they come, but it does at the very least manage to flesh out his character a bit. I’m not sure I really wanted a tragic backstory, but I suppose it gives them an excusse to have Jiren act like a dick beyond “he’s so badass”.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Personally i liked his backstory but only because it fits with what little we saw of Jiren's character before it was revealed and it explains why he is a douche.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I really like how this explains why he's so emotionless. He only believes in strength, anything else is meaningless to him. That's why he's so stoic.

I like the way his backstory was told. This isn't anything we haven't seen before, but it does a good enough job at explaining why he's called Jiren the Grey.
Pretty much my opinion of it. It's a generic backstory but gets the job done of pretty much explaining why he is quite stoic and cold towards everyone. It wasn't anything amazing, but it did give us more insight to his values and perfectly explains why he's become more emotionally numb. His backstory is more like Batman's than anything else. He ain't deep by any means, but he now has some depth to him
Plus, they have set up a new story in the future about the evil-doer that killed Jiren's family. Which I think will come back in the future but obviously not in Super. I could see it being told in a spinoff manga down the line.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:23 am

Jiren's backstory is probably the greatest story ever told in the history of anime. I felt for the little gray alien and his plight against the evil-doer.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:54 am

Imo jiren's backstory is
1.Generic
2.Explains his character
3.Terrible execution,may be I have just become used to one piece but it's no better than the androids.It explains his character but it's just for the sake of background.Rushed would be the better word.

Conclusion
JazzMazz wrote:I feel like Jiren's belittling nature about strength and cursing people for being weak should have been brought up earlier to actually set up a mystery for why he is so obsessed with strength? Then they could have established a que for the audience and the characters to become invested in Jiren's obsession with strength. Then they could have told us Jiren's backstory. That way we wouldn't have had to suffer through so much of Jiren being so plain.

His backstory isn't particularly interesting and is in fact rather generic, but it is at the very least something.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:28 am

Generic, almost unneeded. I'm rarely negative on something... but his backstory left me completely unfazed.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:37 am

I was so excited when I woke up this morning to see the preview image of little baby Jiren. After having seen the episode, I was like "mmm...coulda done without it".

I maintain it could have been done well, but the narration was what killed it. It's actually got me thinking how it could be handled better in the dub. People complain about how they've been punching up the scripts, but if you ask me this was a script in dire need of a punch up. Anything would be better than "he trained and made many friends to fight the evil doer but then the evil doer killed his friends and that was A Sad."

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:17 am

Hawk9211 wrote: 3.Terrible execution,may be I have just become used to one piece but it's no better than the androids.
The androids don't have a backstory.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 am

Y'all should be grateful he got a backstory at all. Dragon Ball was never generous about providing those. Keep in mind that we had to get bits and pieces even about Gero and the Androids. Any backstory is already a lot for DB.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:32 am

I honestly liked how Jiren's backstory went.

It was short, sweet, simple, and it fits.

Everything justifies his "blandness" and "stoicism", because he's abandoned the things that would flesh him out to pursue strength, strength above all, strength as the determining factor. There's nothing but strength, and why should there be? If you're not strong enough, you perish. If you are, you forge your own path of justice.

It's probably not the intent, but to me, I see a little bit of meta-commentary. Only strength matters to Jiren, much like how the fandom often plays this card when discussing the series, at least when it comes to the stereotypical vocal minorities.

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:30 am

I found the backstory ok. Good thing that they're trying adding layers in Jiren's personality.

By the way, that evil enemy is clearly Black :D

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:06 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: 3.Terrible execution,may be I have just become used to one piece but it's no better than the androids.
The androids don't have a backstory.
I was talking about the interview.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball