Why the dub can still be enjoyed even after Super ends in Japan

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Why the dub can still be enjoyed even after Super ends in Japan

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:40 pm

I just got to thinking about how some fans have understandably dismissed the dub as being a source of DB entertainment when Super ends in Japan (due to knowing the whole story already), but here's the thing: When I was a kid, I basically knew the entire DB story due to the video games. Sure, I didn't see every anime bit in those games and it's also different from now because there was no internet streaming services back then. Still my basic point is: A lot of the fans who grew up in my generation already had access to the home releases, video games, etc. I was born in the later part of the '90s so I grew up in the space between Z's original "Hope of the Universe" Toonami run AND Kai's "Son Goku" Nicktoons run - which basically meant I knew the whole story, but still had new stuff coming out in a way. But that was the fun of being a fan. We knew the bits and pieces of the stories, but it was like a puzzle piece that we had to put together by getting the rest of the home releases. I hadn't even seen all of Z when Kai came out, so that is a big part of my point.

When I was younger, I asked if I could get Dragon Ball GT: Generations (the final Funimation GT single because the Lost Episodes). I watched these last four episodes and knew how DB "ended", but that didn't stop me from still wanting to watch the rest of the series and its various movies. It's kind of the same principle for me now because I honestly haven't seen all of the Future Trunks Arc and Universal Survival Arc - despite knowing how each arc ends. Y'know why? Because I wanted to preserve that childhood wonder of seeing the scenes I missed through the dub and I also figured Super would eventually end in Japan anyway.

So now, even though I will definitely know how Super ends in Japan once March arrives - I still have certain episodes from the last two arcs to enjoy in dubbed form because I haven't actually seen all of them, similar to when I was a kid. So yeah, you can still enjoy the dub after Super ends if you were like me and haven't seen all of it. And if not, you can still watch it for the novelty of seeing what is done differently in terms of script and performances. Maybe you even forgot some things? Thoughts, if any?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Why the dub can still be enjoyed even after Super ends in Japan

Post by Xeogran » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:42 pm

I don't care about the dub, English isn't my primary language anyway.

I don't understand the purpose of this topic either, whoever likes it will watch it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 am

Of course it can, thanks to retrospect and experience we have a great cast with Funimation. I'll gladly rewatch every episode, even a few times to see their work on screen.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:55 am

Even as a huge dub fan, I won’t be watching most of DBS dubbed. I really didn’t enjoy it subbed so why watch it again

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Even as a huge dub fan, I won’t be watching most of DBS dubbed. I really didn’t enjoy it subbed so why watch it again
I take it you would rather go hang out with Yamcha?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 am

uncutpokemon wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Even as a huge dub fan, I won’t be watching most of DBS dubbed. I really didn’t enjoy it subbed so why watch it again
Yeah he'd be a cool person to hang out with. :lol:

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:06 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
And maybe after that you can go get lunch with Aquaman, followed by watching Hellsing Ultimate with the cast of Twilight. :P

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:13 pm

uncutpokemon wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
And maybe after that you can go get lunch with Aquaman, followed by watching Hellsing Ultimate with the cast of Twilight. :P
No thanks. lol

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:14 pm

The dub in my country premiered in August or September, with 5 episodes a week, so in a little over 2 months, it already ended the Zamasu's arc and right now they are dubbing the ToP. When it premieres, so that means that in over 2 months i'll finish from episodes 68-131. Probably by May or June i'll already have watch the entire series dubbed.

I want Dragon Ball to continue... i want new stories...

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:20 pm

uncutpokemon wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
Aquaman? Sure, he`s an awesome character when you read it instead of just fishing the meme :crazy:

Twillight? Not even in the same universe.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:55 pm

'Why the dub'

There are like a lot of Dragon Ball Super dubs so you need to be specific so everyone knows which one you're referring to (we know it's the Funimation Dub but guests might not). I personally watched Super up until episode 60-ish in Castillan but gave up as the show has gotten so boring and the ToP arc doesn't really appeal to me either.

In 5 to 10 years time the goggles of DBS hype will fade away and folks will see for how flimsy, empty and shallow the show really is.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:07 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:'Why the dub'

There are like a lot of Dragon Ball Super dubs so you need to be specific so everyone knows which one you're referring to (we know it's the Funimation Dub but guests might not). I personally watched Super up until episode 60-ish in Castillan but gave up as the show has gotten so boring and the ToP arc doesn't really appeal to me either.

In 5 to 10 years time the goggles of DBS hype will fade away and folks will see for how flimsy, empty and shallow the show really is.
Why is it when anyone doesn't like DBS they come out with this silly retort? Acting you somehow above everyone because you didn't get caught in "DBS hype" and then why do you think that people who genuinely like the show are under the "goggles of DBS hype" we're over 100 episodes now the "hype" of a new series is long gone anyone who is still enjoying it (vast majority of people) are genuinely enjoying not under some sort of "illusion" like you're implying.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:43 pm

A person can know another human being for 50-60 yrs and never truly know him/her. A person can watch endless amounts of a series/movies/soap-opera and still enjoy but then there the day when he/she snaps out of it and realizes that it isn't as good as he/she thought it used to be. A person can listen to music and then one day he/she will think about it and come to the conclusion that it's just not very good at all.

It's like South Park's episode You're Getting Older — Things that Stan used to like became total garbage and to fix that, he got into the bad habit of drinking so all that became enjoyable again (or at least it's how I remember it).

That's really it. Give it time and you may be surprised at yourself in a few years to come in regards to Dragon Ball Super. Baggie, that's just how I feel about it obviously but I hope DBS satisfies you to the maximum (I'm hoping the next DB series does this for me.. probably not). :wink:
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.