Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:18 am

Zamasu55 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:39 am This has to be the most disappointing episode of the lot.
Did Heroes reach a new rock bottom?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:27 am

I'm starting to wonder why I'm still even bothering to check this stuff out. It's because there might be content to post about sometimes. Sometimes you can definitely tell that this is just a promotional anime, and this episode was one of those times. It's just... empty. The only really interesting part of the episode was Moro's energy drain but not done by Moro, but that's only because it was Moro's energy drain but not done by Moro. (I know that sounds silly, but it should be understandable enough... I hope.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:52 am

Xeno Goku still hasn't displayed any happiness characteristic, always speaking with a smile printed on his face or screaming. He's been consistently serious and calm in these "tense" moments. Loving it, as this is how a grown-up Goku, no matter the dimension, should act anyway. And the contrast is even clearer when he's in the presence of Dragon Ball Super Goku. Please keep it up Toei. :thumbup:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:09 pm

I feel like I am the only one enjoying every single episode... or maybe I know what the anime is capable of and my expectations are not too high.

Nevertheless I liked this episode because it's not only fighting and we learn things step by step. Can't wait for the next episode

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:05 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:18 am
Zamasu55 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:39 am This has to be the most disappointing episode of the lot.
IMO it's still an average episode, as bad as always. Maybe it's disappointing because the fight between Goku (with Vegeta and Trunks) and Beerus was pretty meh, and Fu's plan is more or less "Tree of Might".

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:54 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:05 pm
sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:18 am
IMO it's still an average episode, as bad as always. Maybe it's disappointing because the fight between Goku (with Vegeta and Trunks) and Beerus was pretty meh, and Fu's plan is more or less "Tree of Might".
They literally built up Goku's rematch against Beerus for 4 months and they give us this.

And the plot seems boring as hell. Turles and Bojack? Really?

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:08 pm

you know, after over 20 episodes of heroes, i still dont know why people have high hopes of expectations for this "promotional" anime.
do not have any expectations at all, and the disappointment wont be as bad

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:20 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:08 pm you know, after over 20 episodes of heroes, i still dont know why people have high hopes of expectations for this "promotional" anime.
I don't want to sound annoying, but I totally agree with this. If you guys have watched all the episodes until now you should have a general idea about the SDBH anime and not force yourself to keep watching it if you don't like it or find it boring. And you won't lose anything if you don't watch it anyway.

Maybe lowering your expectations can be a good start to not get disappointed everytime a new episode comes out.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:44 am

My favorite part:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:50 am

I'll say that I like how Beerus is still portrayed as being above Goku and Vegeta, and they gave a good reason to sideline him so he doesn't take part in the main conflict.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:50 amI like how Beerus is still portrayed as being above Goku and Vegeta.
Beerus being above them stopped making sense in RF, now it's just ridiculous. SsjG Goku in BOG was able to hold his own against him, yet somehow, after all the training and power ups Goku's gotten since then, he's still below him ? Same goes for Vegeta, he got a few good hits as an enraged Ssj2, yet he's still below him, despite everything he's been through ?
Grimlock wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:52 amXeno Goku still hasn't displayed any happiness characteristic, always speaking with a smile printed on his face or screaming. He's been consistently serious and calm in these "tense" moments. Loving it, as this is how a grown-up Goku, no matter the dimension, should act anyway.
Original Manga Goku acted very similar, even before he was an adult. I don't know what's so hard for Super's staff to have Goku act according to the situation.
Zamasu55 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:39 amThis has to be the most disappointing episode of the lot. They literally built up Goku's rematch against Beerus for 4 months and they give us this.
I'm surprised you expected much from it. This show has being going on for awhile now and it seems like nothing's ever stood out, which probably won't change anytime soon. I remember the SsjB vs Ssj4 fight was also hyped up, only to end up being a few hits.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:52 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:08 pm you know, after over 20 episodes of heroes, i still dont know why people have high hopes of expectations for this "promotional" anime.
It's because we have to wait a month for this crap.
And now next episode's going to air at the end of March. It's just embarassing at this point.
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:50 am I'll say that I like how Beerus is still portrayed as being above Goku and Vegeta, and they gave a good reason to sideline him so he doesn't take part in the main conflict.
It's just ridicolous tbf. I hope he'll do more than this honestly, couldn't care less about Bojack and Turles.

Also, why didn't he destroy Fu and Dogi-Dogi on the spot and just stood there doing completely nothing?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Scientist Fu wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:20 pm
I don't want to sound annoying, but I totally agree with this. If you guys have watched all the episodes until now you should have a general idea about the SDBH anime and not force yourself to keep watching it if you don't like it or find it boring. And you won't lose anything if you don't watch it anyway.

Maybe lowering your expectations can be a good start to not get disappointed everytime a new episode comes out.
This tbh. I lost interest in Heroes as soon as Zamasu was killed in literally 10 seconds. Heroes is so disappointing.

The ideas are interesting though, so I hope they are borrowed by Super when it returns.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:22 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:50 amI like how Beerus is still portrayed as being above Goku and Vegeta.
Beerus being above them stopped making sense in RF, now it's just ridiculous. SsjG Goku in BOG was able to hold his own against him, yet somehow, after all the training and power ups Goku's gotten since then, he's still below him ? Same goes for Vegeta, he got a few good hits as an enraged Ssj2, yet he's still below him, despite everything he's been through ?
Personally, I've been under the impression that Goku surpassed, or at least got on par with Beerus, back when he learned to stack Kaioken with Super Saiyan Blue. This is based on the nervous reaction he had when he heard that Goku was originally saving that technique for their rematch. And since then, Goku has gone Ultra Instinct. A feat that even the gods rarely achieve. And he uses it to overpower Jiren, who is said to have been stronger than a God of Destruction.

However, I do concede that Battle of Gods does leave Beerus' true strength up in the air. If I remember correctly, it was stated (maybe in the anime version of the events) that Beerus was always holding back against Goku, even at his peak strength. Where Beerus stands seems pretty much up in the air, until an official rematch actually occurs. At which case, they'll probably make him stronger than Goku anyway, just so the battle will be more exciting.

As the great Prince Vegeta once said, "Power levels are bull$#*+!!!"

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:28 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:22 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pm
Personally, I've been under the impression that Goku surpassed, or at least got on par with Beerus, back when he learned to stack Kaioken with Super Saiyan Blue. This is based on the nervous reaction he had when he heard that Goku was originally saving that technique for their rematch. And since then, Goku has gone Ultra Instinct. A feat that even the gods rarely achieve. And he uses it to overpower Jiren, who is said to have been stronger than a God of Destruction.

However, I do concede that Battle of Gods does leave Beerus' true strength up in the air. If I remember correctly, it was stated (maybe in the anime version of the events) that Beerus was always holding back against Goku, even at his peak strength. Where Beerus stands seems pretty much up in the air, until an official rematch actually occurs. At which case, they'll probably make him stronger than Goku anyway, just so the battle will be more exciting.

As the great Prince Vegeta once said, "Power levels are bull$#*+!!!"
dont know how anybody comes to that conclusion at all, when Jiren needed to blink away a spirit bomb for whis to state that his power is like a god of destruction, and perhaps above it. and Vegito blue should have destroyed that notion as even someone of his caliber in the FT arc wasnt 100% guaranteed to be above beerus. it takes UI or a current blue fusion to be above.

i really dont know why people came up to that conclusion way back then. did people miss toriyamas statement about him not having any plans for goku or vegeta to surpass beerus anytime soon? (that statement was made at the time of kaioken blue goku)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:39 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pmOriginal Manga Goku acted very similar, even before he was an adult. I don't know what's so hard for Super's staff to have Goku act according to the situation.
If Dragon Ball Super: Broly is anything to go by, maybe Toriyama is partly to blame too. There was that gag moment right before the fight starts that wasn't really necessary. But that one can be overlooked, I guess. It wasn't Goku being full dorky as he is throughout the entirety of Dragon Ball Super.
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pmI remember the SsjB vs Ssj4 fight was also hyped up, only to end up being a few hits.
We shouldn't expect a full spectacle in a nine-minute episode. And in the arcade, well, for being an arcade we don't actually see the fight. But for what's worth, in the arcade we get to know that Goku is stronger than Xeno Goku and in the manga the latter doesn't even know about these new transformations. Two very interesting and important information if you ask me. So it was worth that they faced each other.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:46 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:39 pm ...in the arcade we get to know that Goku is stronger than Xeno Goku and in the manga the latter doesn't even know about these new transformations.
If "these new transformations" are SSG and SSB, doesn't that actually settle a discussion people have been having? People have been arguing for and against Xeno Goku knowing about SSG if I recall correctly. But maybe I'm misremembering what the debate was.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Yes, it does settle it. But as we know, in most of the cases people argue just for the sake of arguing.

The unnecessary discussion, from what I've seen, happens because the only argument those who argue for use comes from another source totally unrelated to the arcade and its manga/anime. In Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X, it seems Xeno Goku actually transformed into Super Saiyan God. That's one of the Nintendo 3DS games, and its content/story doesn't even take place in the same dimension as the main game and its promotional materials.

It should be very clear why that argument can't be used, the manga explicitly says he doesn't know those forms, the game says otherwise. So we have two contradictory information. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would think the 3DS game, which is meant to be standalone and self-contained, not related to anything else, would be the prioritized version here.

Other than that argument, if there's anything else I wouldn't know. I often ask people for a source that can prove what they're claiming but generally I get no response (that goes for other subjects too) back. Which just leads me to think that they just want their "headcanon" to be right despite the official evidences being right before their eyes.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:01 am

While I find Heroes to be a lot more interesting than DBS, the most recent episode with God's of Destruction has to be most "overhyped, under-delivered" episode in quite some time

I remember fondly Cumber single-handedly takin on Bluper Goku, Veggie, Trunks, Golden Cooler. Goddamn...it even took Bluper Vegito & UI Goku to stand any real chance against Cumber

Then, Goku vs Hearts, thx to Shida. This episode suffered from the overhyped Goku/Beerus fight, only for it to peter-out by focusing on plot rather than fight itself. Maybe cuz I never had over-expectations hence was not affected by it's outcome

Gotta miss those DB/DBZ days when "action/fights" are used to enhance plot, rather than being "action for the sake of action". Toriyama was a genius

Goku using underwater KHH to distract Frieza based on his intuition that Frieza isn't able to detect chi culminatin into Frieza's eventual defeat bein sliced by his Destructo Disc at tail end of Frieza Arc is such a genius example of how writing & choreographing a fight cud be used to enhance plot

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:21 am

Vijay wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:01 amGotta miss those DB/DBZ days when "action/fights" are used to enhance plot, rather than being "action for the sake of action". Toriyama was a genius

Goku using underwater KHH to distract Frieza based on his intuition that Frieza isn't able to detect chi culminating into Frieza's eventual defeat bein sliced by his Destructo Disc at tail end of Frieza Arc is such a genius example of how writing & choreographing a fight cud be used to enhance plot
2 things have changed since the old days:

1- Toriyama was actually writing a full story back then, not just simple notes like he does now.

2- The fans weren't running the franchise like they are now. A great example from the original manga that proves fans shouldn't be listened to is them not wanting Toriyama to kill off Vegeta on Namek. imagine all the great moments we would've missed out on if he listened to fans like he does now ? That's not to say fans should be completely cast aside, but I don't think they should have an influence on major plot points.