What's your "how the hell did we get here?" moment?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

What's your "how the hell did we get here?" moment?

Post by jpranevich » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:26 am

I've been rewatching DB then DBZ, roughly one episode per day. And I just finished DBZ #50.

A series with martial arts fantasy roots, based on "Journey to the West"...

And Son Goku is standing on a spaceship wearing a "Dragon Ball"-branded space suit, firing Kamehamehas to try to steer the ship to avoid falling into a nearby star.

It's not even a "jump the shark" moment, just one where all you can do is stare agape, asking yourself "what show am I watching?"

Do you have any favorite moments like these?

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What's your "how the hell did we get here?" moment?

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:09 pm

I had this back in the syndication days. For the second season (first half of the Freeza arc), they started showing TWO episodes a week on my local station (FOX 59 Saturdays from 6AM-7AM. You bet your ass I got up every weekend for that). Unfortunately that meant they ran out of new episodes incredibly fast. It seemed like MONTHS passed before we got new episodes. Then, one weekend, it looked like a new episode! But...we were back on earth. Everyone was alive. How'd they get back from Namek? Who was this Saiyan who looked like an evil Goku and his budget Ginyu Force henchmen? I didn't know what to make of it - I thought they had jumped ahead in the story somehow. I didn't learn until a couple years later that it was a non-canon movie.

There was also that time that after several weeks of repeats, the new episode was the god damned Bulma and the giant crab episode, but that's another story.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: What's your "how the hell did we get here?" moment?

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Honestly, never. If you go straight from the first DB episodes to the Freeza arc, it will feel different, but if you watch everything from beginning to end, it all feels like an organic transition.

I did however experience this:
TheBigBoy wrote:I had this back in the syndication days. For the second season (first half of the Freeza arc), they started showing TWO episodes a week on my local station (FOX 59 Saturdays from 6AM-7AM. You bet your ass I got up every weekend for that). Unfortunately that meant they ran out of new episodes incredibly fast. It seemed like MONTHS passed before we got new episodes. Then, one weekend, it looked like a new episode! But...we were back on earth. Everyone was alive. How'd they get back from Namek? Who was this Saiyan who looked like an evil Goku and his budget Ginyu Force henchmen? I didn't know what to make of it - I thought they had jumped ahead in the story somehow. I didn't learn until a couple years later that it was a non-canon movie.

There was also that time that after several weeks of repeats, the new episode was the god damned Bulma and the giant crab episode, but that's another story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.