"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nato25
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by nato25 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:20 am

Nothing unfortunately

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:55 am

This DLC prooves that "Kakarot" centered around OG DB would've been a better game. Or at least start with OG DB and end on EoZ. Super and GT as DLC's. It's really that easy. More money for the company and more fun for us fans.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:53 am

That is very disappointing. I want my SS# Goku using a feet Kamehame-Ha! lol

Yeah this game really needed to start with OG DB and work its way up toward the flying away with Uub ending. It's called "Kakarot" but "Kakarot" isn't fully the star of the game. Plus We need more more OG DB content in general.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:35 pm

I figured I should log into my long-inactive account to post this here, since it's probably the most receptive audience to it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonballzkakarot/mods/388

I made a mod for the PC version that alters the English text to use names and terms that are closer to the Japanese ones, a mixture of FUNimation's subtitle track, Viz's English manga translation, and a few fan-terms/personal preference. (For instance, I changed Other World to afterlife, which is what Kanzenshuu's house style guide seems to use)

I'd been waiting to release this until the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai DLC since the update would break the version of the mod I'd been privately using, so both the main game and all the DLC packs including the brand new one will use these alterations. They might not all use your preferred translations, but I assume it'll still be preferable to seeing so many of the dub names while playing with the Japanese voices.
­

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:58 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:02 pm I don't know why they are still not calling him Demon King Piccolo? It's 2023, we are not on Cartoon Network anymore.
He was called Demon King Piccolo and referred to as “from the demon clan” though. They just used King Piccolo more often.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:45 pm

Note that the optional chapter is listed as part of episode 1 when replaying, between two other objectives.
However, it is actually impossible to access it when replaying the normal events of episode 1: unlike your first playthrough, when the game asks you if you want to start the bonus chapter, it won't take your answer into account this time and behave as if you said "No" even when you select "Yes".

To replay it, you must select it directly as an objective in the replay list, and unlike the regular objectives, it will behave as an episode in itself, making you start right at the beginning of the conversation that triggers it and kicking you out once you take control of Goku again when it's over (which is unusual as you are usually kicked out of the replay only when you reach the end of the full episode, not one of the objectives).

So yeah, despite being listed right in the middle of episode 1 as just a midway objective, it is actually counted as a separate episode that begins and ends on its own and can't be integrated in a playthrough of episode 1 anymore.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:23 am

GTx10 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:53 am That is very disappointing. I want my SS# Goku using a feet Kamehame-Ha! lol

Yeah this game really needed to start with OG DB and work its way up toward the flying away with Uub ending. It's called "Kakarot" but "Kakarot" isn't fully the star of the game. Plus We need more more OG DB content in general.
It's weird they chose to focus the Kakarot game on the part of the series that heavily focused on Gohan instead.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:20 am

Yuji wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:23 am
GTx10 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:53 am That is very disappointing. I want my SS# Goku using a feet Kamehame-Ha! lol

It's weird they chose to focus the Kakarot game on the part of the series that heavily focused on Gohan instead.
DBZ sells, DB doesn't. People need money in order to live. Simple as that.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:48 am

Another glitch, pretty minor: when viewing the last pre-rendered video cutscene in the notebook, the on-screen credits for voice actors (before the actual full-fledged credits) will only flash briefly for a quarter of second, instead of slowly appearing, giving time to read and slowly disappearing.

It's fascinating how it's hard to keep everything working properly in modern games, even when it's just using a system that was already implemented and used. The slightest change or reuse in another context can screw things up a bit.
Something can work fine in regular play and fail to activate properly on replay sessions (such as the dialogue and visions that wouldn't trigger on replay in the Bardack DLC, or the answer to a question to access a special chapter, or the credits glitching when you watch the video directly).

Another peculiar thing, though it's hard to say if it's intended or a glitch, is that the video starting the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc won't display the title of the DLC when watched from the notebook: no "Dragon Ball Z" nor "The 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai" logos, just the rain pouring on the tournament buildings for a few seconds.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:47 pm

Trouser wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:55 am This DLC prooves that "Kakarot" centered around OG DB would've been a better game. Or at least start with OG DB and end on EoZ. Super and GT as DLC's. It's really that easy. More money for the company and more fun for us fans.
Although I agree with that, the franchise's sales and marketing say otherwise. I would love for OG DB to be more valued, but Z is unfortunately or fortunately more popular and profitable. However, it would be great to have something different for a change. And the idea of Kakarot having a DLC that focuses on events prior to the Saiyan arc is fantastic, as I personally believe that Goku vs. Piccolo is one of the best fights in the manga.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:11 am

I played the DLC over the weekend, I loved it.

It's like a DB minigame, I enjoyed the fuck out of beating Piccolo Daimao with Kid Goku, it does seem too short, but it's better than nothing. The intro is also really cool.
The ground battle is awesome, it's nice to not fly or shoot ki blasts, for a change. The fights are really good, entertaining, the four Tenshinhan fight was great. Fighting Giant Piccolo, too. The destroyed arena looks great.
And Tenshihan's story with Tao Pai Pai was pretty cool, I was not expecting that.

However, the DLC could've included Piccolo vs Krilin, and some preliminary fights like Goku vs King Chappa. I can see why they wanted to save Jr. for the final, great move, and of course Goku vs Chappa would've been a oneshot fight, but still, I would've liked to play it, or at least see it.
They could've used this DLC to show how Yamcha got those scars... but we might be better off without knowing that.

I haven't played the post-game missions, but is really nice to get a glimpse at the pre-Z world map. No Satan City, no crater left by Raditz, the TB island being pretty much destroyed. I wonder if you can find Piccolo hidden somewhere, probably not since you cannot access Raditz' landing site.

Anyway, a short game about Dragonball, I never thought I would get to play something like this.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:58 pm

Because the French version of the game is translated from the English script, it gives you insight about the prototype English lines before they are shortened to match the dub, or apparently altered completely in one case to avoid naming a technic (or maybe because it would be too much to say in such a short time too).

Those examples are not word for word since I write them from memory (playing through it twice in French and seeing it multiple times in English on playthroughs), but that should be enough to show you how the English translation team seemingly updates some of their first takes when recording AFTER their initial script has been given to some other countries for local translations.

When Goku takes off some clothes against Tenshinhan, the latter goes...
FINAL ENGLISH LINE: "Overheating, huh? Do as you want."
PROTOTYPE ENGLISH LINE: "Overheating, huh? Do as you want, since you're going to lose anyway."

When Goku wins the beam-to-beam struggle, Piccolo sees the beams coming towards him and goes...
FINAL ENGLISH LINE: "Impossible..."
PROTOTYPE ENGLISH LINE: "Impossible... I am invincible!!"

When Piccolo counters the Mafuba...
FINAL ENGLISH LINE: "What goes around comes around!!"
PROTOTYPE ENGLISH LINE: "Evil containment wave, reflected!!"

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:51 pm

Is their even sales figures for Og Dragon Ball that says Z says better? I'm sure that is the case, but are their actual sales figures? Also with that said, I have never seen og DB (tv show) get any advertising, so doesn't that in essence fight against the series? In theory.

Because this dlc seems to be popular. Granted casuals have never seen og DB so for them this is a breath of fresh air, (it is also the best part of DB in my opinion) but maybe this could build interest in the series?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:10 am

Is this game still bad? I remember people not wanting to play this game anymore due to random enemy encounter over and over. It gets annoying fast.

Copirachez

Post by Copirachez » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:22 am

I played the DLC and have mixed feelings. It's not too bad, but perhaps it's just me; I was expecting more.

The best thing is the ground battles. I was curious whether there would be ground battles since the original game, but there weren't any, and I was disappointed. However, as we can see, it really works, and it will be interesting to see a full game in this setting. Additionally, I liked the fact that the developers provided us with OGDB content. For me, the first season was the highlight of the entire franchise, mainly because it focused less on fights and more on the plot.

But let's be honest, Kakarot is more about fighting, and I can understand why they chose the 23 Tenkaichi arc for adaptation - it's very reminiscent of DBZ in terms of epic battles. However, the most disappointing aspect is that they skipped a lot of fights! There were a few moments when I was eager to play after a cutscene, only to find it was yet another cutscene. Tien's story - it's just... existing without much substance. We can't even play as him in free roam. Perhaps the only positive was the police missions after the main story, but in comparison to the previous DLCs, it seems quite lackluster. You need to replay them 3 times to achieve 100% completion, yet there's no noticeable difference. And is it just me, or are the animations in the cutscenes this time exceptionally poor? It almost feels like the DLC is a beta version, and the release should have been much later.

Oh, and there is no outfit changing, which the community has been asking for since the Trunks DLC or even earlier. It's quite disheartening :(

Well, I'm just hoping that this DLC was mostly an experiment with the ground mode and that it has been successful. This would pave the way for a full-fledged game based on OGDB.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:37 am

I'm surprised that there are so many -well, not that many, side quests involving Pilaf. He keeps failing and escaping or trying to fool Goku, it's quite fun. He hides one DB again, too.

I feel this DLC has captured a decent amount of magic of Dragonball. Makes you think how good an actual DB game would be if a $15 DLC can be this entertaining.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:57 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:37 am Makes you think how good an actual DB game would be if a $15 DLC can be this entertaining.
And for that I will always recommend DB Origins 1 & 2. They're full of the DB magic, and even with some what if stories no less!
I doubt they'll ever do any full-fledged classic DB console game at this point, so that's the best bet!

Revenge of King Piccolo has some great graphics by the Wii standards, but sadly it didn't sell well, making them look away from that part of the series for a good decade.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:02 am

Wished there was a patch that would change the Chinese names to better match the Hong Kong dub. Bandai's official Chinese translations uses a mix of the Taiwanese names and a mix of transliteration of the Japanese names.
The world is your's.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:30 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:57 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:37 am Makes you think how good an actual DB game would be if a $15 DLC can be this entertaining.
And for that I will always recommend DB Origins 1 & 2. They're full of the DB magic, and even with some what if stories no less!
I doubt they'll ever do any full-fledged classic DB console game at this point, so that's the best bet!

Revenge of King Piccolo has some great graphics by the Wii standards, but sadly it didn't sell well, making them look away from that part of the series for a good decade.
I have a feeling that DB games were released back in an era when Z and GT were the main interest of ours. Power ups, transformations, fusions, etc. So I can see why a game about old Piccolo Daimaoh did so bad.

I would not have cared about a DB game in the 2000s, nor rewatch DB. I was much more interested in Broly, SS4, Gogeta, Janemba, Shadow Dragons, Buu, and not so much about more down to Earth villains and fights.
Now, after the revival I've been much more open to revisiting the original material, which I have, I've rewatched DB twice, re-read the pre-Z portion of the manga many times. Back in the day, I would've never gone to check out stuff before Raditz's arrival.
I don't know how or what DBS had to do with that but it did, at least for me.

I think nowadays a DB game would be much more appreciated it.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:03 am

DBZ: KAKAROT DLC 6 will be officially revealed at Battle Hour! Sparking! ZERO News is also officially confirmed!

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1745266778228629933