Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:45 am

Fionordequester wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 amWell, he'll be the new guy. He won't have any of the baggage associated with other folks, he'll just be the guy who came in to fill Vic Mignogna's shoes.
I think he was referring more to the #IStandWithVic crowd who, let's not mince words, are QUITE vocal. I can only really see Sabat being a replacement that won't cause too much fire (outside of "you got rid of him to take his job" conspiracy theorism).

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Nah, they just need to get someone more famous than Vic, and really that isn't too difficult. Even just a more prominent actor for bigger video games or cartoons. Not that I really need to see Nolan North or Troy Baker in their fifteen millionth performances, but if they showed up Vic supporters wouldn't just be able to go "oh look at this no-name faggot taking our hero's place".

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Personally, I'm kind of halfway hoping for Travis Willingham to get to be Broly. He's wanted a role in Dragon Ball for ages now (and he has previously been the stand-in voice for Cell, but now it seems like they'll keep getting Clarke back eternally again), and it'd be somewhat ironic given his and Vic's characters relationship from FMA.

And as far as Vic's acting goes, obviously everything is subjective and opinions are going to differ from person to person, but I've always been a fan of his acting. His Edward Elric and Tamaki Suoh are easily my preferred voices for the characters, and his bit in the Oh! Edo Rocket anime may be his finest comedic work I've ever heard (especially since the character was about as far from a 'Yeah, this is a Vic Mignogna' role appearance-wise a you can possibly get). As far as DB related roles go though...I like his Broly for what it is, but it's not exactly going to be impossible to replace, as has been said. It'll take some getting used to since I'm so used to hearing him in the role, but it's not going to be the same feeling of 'whoa, this is different' that a lot of fans had upon the Kai re-casts for example. I admit I preferred his Burter to Sabat's, but they've never kept strictly with him since Kai anyway, and it's not like their takes are really that different - I just preferred a take where it wasn't yet another role from the old days of when Sabat was 90% of the incidental cast.

Even with my ability to separate the art from the artist though, there will be certain roles or lines that leave me with a slightly uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach now though, simply because of how the character acts that might bleed itself a little too easily back into what we now know. Namely Kurz Weber in Full Metal Panic.

I mean...yowza.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:09 pm

If Willingham voiced him I'm not sure I'd be able to stop myself from drawing buff Sonic Boom Knuckles in Broly's getup. It's a wonderful idea.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:09 pm If Willingham voiced him I'm not sure I'd be able to stop myself from drawing buff Sonic Boom Knuckles in Broly's getup. It's a wonderful idea.
I didn't realize how much I needed this art until I read it in a sentence. Now I doubly want Willingham for the part.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:26 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:45 am
Fionordequester wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 amWell, he'll be the new guy. He won't have any of the baggage associated with other folks, he'll just be the guy who came in to fill Vic Mignogna's shoes.
I think he was referring more to the #IStandWithVic crowd who, let's not mince words, are QUITE vocal. I can only really see Sabat being a replacement that won't cause too much fire (outside of "you got rid of him to take his job" conspiracy theorism).

That’s exactly what it will be. Sure Chris Sabat is a producer and voice director and voices Piccolo and Vegeta but he really wanted to be Broli and get his role as Burter back.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:59 pm

In before Sabat calls Scott McNeil to voice Broli.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:27 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:49 am
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:06 am I prefer Nozawa, but being so harsh on Schemmel is just uncalled for. He does a fine job.

As for Vic, the role of Broly is mostly just screaming so there's really not much to say about how he does it. I've also only watched a few episodes of the dubbed FMA anime (the old one, back when it was on Adult Swim in the mid-2000s). I don't know if he did the voice of Edward in that one, but if he did, I guess he was okay, from what I remember.
He DID play Edward in the 2003 FMA and reprised for the FMA Brotherhood show.
He also plays the role as E-123 Omega from the Sonic The Hedgehog.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:27 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:06 am I prefer Nozawa, but being so harsh on Schemmel is just uncalled for. He does a fine job.

As for Vic, the role of Broly is mostly just screaming so there's really not much to say about how he does it. I've also only watched a few episodes of the dubbed FMA anime (the old one, back when it was on Adult Swim in the mid-2000s). I don't know if he did the voice of Edward in that one, but if he did, I guess he was okay, from what I remember.
Duh, I know. You don't need to tell me the bloody obvious. What's with people telling me the fucking obvious, anyway? You remind me of two people who have done that to me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 pm
Duh, I know. You don't need to tell me the bloody obvious. What's with people telling me the fucking obvious, anyway? You remind me of two people who have done that to me.
Forget those people man. Idc.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Going by the recent games, Sabat already got Burter and Jeice back. (And Zarbon too?)

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:41 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:27 pm He also plays the role as E-123 Omega from the Sonic The Hedgehog.
You have said this so many times. Everyone knows already. It's such a minor role that the character has been recast four times and it's only been noticeable once.
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 pm Going by the recent games, Sabat already got Burter and Jeice back. (And Zarbon too?)
I'd chalk that up less to Sabat "getting them back" and more the game dubs not being as high a priority or having the resources and planning needed for the anime, meaning lesser characters fall to the waysides when it makes things easier.
Last edited by Shaddy on Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:42 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 pm
I don't know if you are having a bad day but I recommend taking a breather cause this hostility is unwarranted.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:31 pm

I'm having a perfectly fine day. It just annoys me when people feel the need to tell me things I already know.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:02 pm

I can’t believe that people donated over $100,000 to Vic. Think about all the worthy causes out there and this is what people donated to. I feel sick

Also this guy Nick R seems like a pretty crappy lawyer.

Edit: Removed Link. Good Point!
Last edited by Kinokima on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 pm

I suggest removing the link, even when most of this forum has it's head screwed on straight we still don't want to advertise the man's shitty campaign.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:10 amThe new movie was the first time I ever really enjoyed Vic's Broly. His Super Saiyan transformation was genuinely well done, capturing the appropriate level of raw anguish.

That being said, I think he was only good because the better material and direction elevated him. Any replacement actor could do at least an equally fine job with it, which is what I expect to see when we finally learn who that is. There may be some teething problems- Daman Mills' Freeza took some time to nail- but I wouldn't worry. Even if his latest (and ONLY his latest if you ask me) take on Broly was good, it isn't irreplaceable.

I just hope the replacement actor won't have to deal with too much bullying from the internet saddo brigade when they finally get announced. Although call it a hunch, but I think this guy won't get nearly as much hate as Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi have been getting and are continuing to get. Can't think why...
I mean, he's gonna be a replacement actor. Even the most talented voice doubles get shit if the original voice was replaced for reasons other than they died, or just couldn't do the voice for whatever reason. Like, I could take or leave Mignogna as Broly. I'll watch the Broly movie when it comes to Blu-Ray next month, since I couldn't see it in theaters due to the nearest theater showing it to me was in goddamn Vermont & I live in upstate New York, & decide on how he did when I do. But, just know that the new guy won't be the first VA to get shit for replacing another one & he won't be the last. I imagine the ones to get the most shit is FUNi themselves, since they fired him to protect their image (yes, I know they did their own internal investigation where they interviewed, what, 16 people? And THEN decided, but if they didn't think having him still employed under them was gonna ruin their image, they probably wouldn't have done it since he didn't work for them much anyways outside of his recurring roles & some others here & there), so they're gonna take the brunt of the vitriol.
The question is, who's gonna play Sabo in One Piece? They're gonna have to find a good voice mimic to voice him, since he can't just have a different voice tone from Vic's, since he used a variation of his own voice tone.
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 pmGoing by the recent games, Sabat already got Burter and Jeice back. (And Zarbon too?)
I mean, their replacements from Kai never voiced them in the games anyways. At least not Jeice, whom I never really liked Jason Liebrecht voicing him. He just never fit. Always felt like someone doing a poor imitation of Sabat's voice for him, which he was. Burter, however, as far as I can see, was never assumed by Mignogna for the games for long, only for Tenkaichi Tag Team, Raging Blast 2, & Ultimate Tenkaichi. After that, he was defaulted to just Broly. Even then, he did a flawless impersonation of Sabat's voice for the character anyways (which probably wasn't hard since he basically sounds like Cobra from G.I. Joe in the dub & TFS had already done the same for DBZA). Sabat also reassumed Zarbon for Xenoverse, which is odd since J. Michael Tatum voiced Mira, so you'd assume he'd do Zarbon as well.

Disclaimer: Typed that as I found the info, so if it seems disjointed or contradictory, that's why.
Kinokima wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:02 pm I can’t believe that people donated over $100,000 to Vic. Think about all the worthy causes out there and this is what people donated to. I feel sick.
Also this guy Nick R seems like a pretty crappy lawyer.
Edit: Removed Link. Good Point!
I mean, some people feel Vic was wronged & they'd like to see something happen for him in this. He might have a point in lawyering up in this case, but we'll see what comes of this in the coming months.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Telling you now that Vic going to court will be the worst mistake he'll ever make outside of his acts on these women.

Him going to court is essentially asking for more evidence to be thrown at the allegations to be discovered. This won't benefit him.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 pm Telling you now that Vic going to court will be the worst mistake he'll ever make outside of his acts on these women.

Him going to court is essentially asking for more evidence to be thrown at the allegations to be discovered. This won't benefit him.
Should be interesting to see either way, though.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm honestly curious what Vic would stand to gain in court too, actually. I mean...the decision lines have been drawn for the most part, any company that's already cut ties with him (FUNimation, RoosterTeeth, not sure if any others have made statements yet) aren't going to hire him back now. Even if he wins a court case, he's not going to achieve anything in the way of regaining those gigs.

So basically it'd just be money (as I assume he's going for libel against them all?) and the hopes of 'clearing his name' enough to hopefully get re-invited to cons again in the future and be eligible for more acting gigs at other companies? I'd say his hope for the former has potential for him to get it, maybe, but the latter? That's...really, really unlikely at this point.
Twitter