Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:38 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
GokuDaimao wrote:
Thing is, from their standpoint, if they did that, it would be condoning and supporting piracy and we all know how these two companies in particular hate that.

I don't know about Maakuo but Kei has to do the right thing and follow through with the promise he made that he would give all of the audio in *his* possession to Chris.
no it it's not supporting piracy as fans already make the first step by asking the use of those audios officially... and in france for example it's very current that companies download or copy dvd from others companies to take the dub from it

for example in france sailor moon have an uncensored french dub but instead of asking to ab group those audios, they used other sources (probably tvrips , copy of vhs or other way....) some companies also sometimes used fansub translation for their release

custumer is the king originally , Companies have to seduce us to sold product, the main trouble is that no matter the shit , fans support official release, the best way to lead the things is :
if they offer upscale shit with DNR, then no one buy them and massive sent message to said that the failure is only caused by the worst quality product
as long as fans will massively buy dnr upscale, and make them having benefit with big shit product, nothing will ever change
What the...???? I can't make heads or tails of what your post is saying.
Let me put it this way. Does the BBC support piracy when asking for tapes for Doctor Who?
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:50 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
GokuDaimao wrote:
Thing is, from their standpoint, if they did that, it would be condoning and supporting piracy and we all know how these two companies in particular hate that.

I don't know about Maakuo but Kei has to do the right thing and follow through with the promise he made that he would give all of the audio in *his* possession to Chris.
no it it's not supporting piracy as fans already make the first step by asking the use of those audios officially... and in france for example it's very current that companies download or copy dvd from others companies to take the dub from it

for example in france sailor moon have an uncensored french dub but instead of asking to ab group those audios, they used other sources (probably tvrips , copy of vhs or other way....) some companies also sometimes used fansub translation for their release

custumer is the king originally , Companies have to seduce us to sold product, the main trouble is that no matter the shit , fans support official release, the best way to lead the things is :
if they offer upscale shit with DNR, then no one buy them and massive sent message to said that the failure is only caused by the worst quality product
as long as fans will massively buy dnr upscale, and make them having benefit with big shit product, nothing will ever change
What the...???? I can't make heads or tails of what your post is saying.
i mean that chris sabat got audios from fans asking him to make them into official release so it's not supporting piracy at all if they use the best audios from the net (as better than the officials one) into an official release
also that in France companies sometimes don't follow legal way like the example for sailor moon as instead of doing negociation and having to pay for uncensored audios, they choose to get others sources that are not official and censored

i also point that all people that massively buy crappy release like season sets are preventing good release to surface. we are fans, fans want quality release at good price, companies don't care about quality, companies want to make money so as long as stupid people will buyed crappy release, companies won't sold good release, that's why all DNR release surface more and more. Why bother ? it sold well

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:03 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:i also point that all people that massively buy crappy release like season sets are preventing good release to surface. we are fans, fans want quality release at good price, companies don't care about quality, companies want to make money so as long as stupid people will buyed crappy release, companies won't sold good release, that's why all DNR release surface more and more. Why bother ? it sold well
I agree with you here. Remember when FUNi did that poll asking if fans preferred 4:3 or 16:9 for their budget Blu-ray, then 4:3 won and FUNi basically told us all to go fuck ourselves and did 16:9 anyway? I fully expect that type of attitude here. I really don't expect anything to the level of quality the series deserves, so if you're hoping for a revival of the careful remastering the Level sets had or an HD Dragon Box I think you're going to be disappointed. Even if it does get a good remaster, Toei has shown they're just going to censor it anyway. Lose-lose.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:14 am

Char Aznable wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:i also point that all people that massively buy crappy release like season sets are preventing good release to surface. we are fans, fans want quality release at good price, companies don't care about quality, companies want to make money so as long as stupid people will buyed crappy release, companies won't sold good release, that's why all DNR release surface more and more. Why bother ? it sold well
I agree with you here. Remember when FUNi did that poll asking if fans preferred 4:3 or 16:9 for their budget Blu-ray, then 4:3 won and FUNi basically told us all to go fuck ourselves and did 16:9 anyway? I fully expect that type of attitude here. I really don't expect anything to the level of quality the series deserves, so if you're hoping for a revival of the careful remastering the Level sets had or an HD Dragon Box I think you're going to be disappointed. Even if it does get a good remaster, Toei has shown they're just going to censor it anyway. Lose-lose.
Tv sp1 is the perfect example of what we will get for sure, hd remaster from film but DNR and for episodes with middle fingers, they'll be edited like kai, there will be remaining color cast as Toei never correct this issue with old series (ken 2008 remaster is color corrected but have this color cast), movies etc

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:36 am

a lot of companies like Criterion and Shout use other sources for things like audio. I know for Criterions Poilice story they are using Fansourced original audio for Police Story as Fourtune Star did not provide them the original mix, and they have strict rules where you cant alter the video quality of materials they hand out, so I suppose it's possible and not uncommon

theres also been some other relases where extras were sourced from online and other places where it's questionable where there came from (IE and official source)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:40 am

Char Aznable wrote:
They apparently don't give a damn about providing the fans with a remotely good release, and as FUNi has shown before they just want the most amount of money for the bare minimum amount of effort or quality. They have milked their crap DNR'd to oblivion faux 16:9 releases to death and simply don't care, it's all about the green for them and fans' complaints about their horrid treatment of the series for the most part don't matter to them. If it appears that they are simply going to drop the ball yet again then i'm going to hold tight to my Dragon Boxes, i have my hopes a little too high on this because they have let fans down more than once.

True they have had some good points in their release history, but for the most part they have been proffering crappy quality releases in terms of DBZ since 2007. Though of course with the exception of the Dragon Boxes and Levels however sadly the former is out of print while the latter went belly up and was indefinitely shelved/cancelled, and there has been no sign of them putting out another decent release since then.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
They apparently don't give a damn about providing the fans with a remotely good release, and as FUNi has shown before they just want the most amount of money for the bare minimum amount of effort or quality. They have milked their crap DNR'd to oblivion faux 16:9 releases to death and simply don't care, it's all about the green for them and fans' complaints about their horrid treatmemt of the series for the most part don't matter to them. If it appears that they are simply going to drop the ball again then i'm going to hold tight to my Dragon Boxes, i have my hopes a little too high on this because they have let fans down more than once.
Man I still kick myself to this day for for selling Boxes 1-6 because I thought I'd never get 7, now I'm stuck scouring the internet for both a fair price and boxes that are not beaten up. I need to try and scoop these up now before these are announced.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:50 am

Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote: I agree with you here. Remember when FUNi did that poll asking if fans preferred 4:3 or 16:9 for their budget Blu-ray, then 4:3 won and FUNi basically told us all to go fuck ourselves and did 16:9 anyway? I fully expect that type of attitude here. I really don't expect anything to the level of quality the series deserves, so if you're hoping for a revival of the careful remastering the Level sets had or an HD Dragon Box I think you're going to be disappointed. Even if it does get a good remaster, Toei has shown they're just going to censor it anyway. Lose-lose.
They apparently don't give a damn about providing the fans with a remotely good release, and as FUNi has shown before they just want the most amount of money for the bare minimum amount of effort or quality. They have milked their crap DNR'd to oblivion faux 16:9 releases to death and simply don't care, it's all about the green for them and fans' complaints about their horrid treatmemt of the series for the most part don't matter to them. If it appears that they are simply going to drop the ball again then i'm going to hold tight to my Dragon Boxes, i have my hopes a little too high on this because they have let fans down more than once.
Man I still kick myself to this day for for selling Boxes 1-6 because I thought I'd never get 7, now I'm stuck scouring the internet for both a fair price and boxes that are not beaten up. I need to try and scoop these up now before these are announced.
I have all but volumes 4 and 7, and i've got my fingers crossed that they come up for a good price soon.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:10 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
I have all but volumes 4 and 7, and i've got my fingers crossed that they come up for a good price soon.
I have my eye on a few right now including a complete collection, but a few of the boxes have some physical damage. I have no problem continuing to hunt for replacements for the damaged ones to at least get a better quality box, luckily 2 and 4 are not among those. Considering buying the lot for those two alone. I'm sure I could even resell the damaged boxes from the lot because some people don't care about how the boxes look, they just want the discs in perfect shape and don't mind a crushed corner.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:14 am

Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote: Man I still kick myself to this day for for selling Boxes 1-6 because I thought I'd never get 7, now I'm stuck scouring the internet for both a fair price and boxes that are not beaten up. I need to try and scoop these up now before these are announced.
I have my eye on a few right now including a complete collection, but a few of the boxes have some physical damage. I have no problem continuing to hunt for replacements for the damaged ones to at least get a better quality box, luckily 2 and 4 are not among those. Considering buying the lot for those two alone.
Yeah the ones that i have are for the most part in good condition, although my Dragon Box 3 has a small tear on the back which most likely happened from the previous owner removing the leaflet.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:47 am

ZodaEX wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
sumpter360 wrote:Is there any chance that this new release will include the higher quality, broadcast JPN audio? I've heard people here saying Chris Sabat (I believe) has the files in his possession. And since this is a collaboration between FUNi and Toei, maybe it's FUNi sharing those? I'd also love it if this is announcing all three series receiving the Blu-ray treatment, not just Z. Similar to when the Dragon Boxes were first announced in Japan.

Very hopeful and not too likely, but still a guy can dream.
AnimeAjay did a video on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLBEzJQU9M
Basically, I'm assuming after the Season Set Blu-Rays came out, fans gave files for the original broadcast audio of Z to Sabat & co. They were gonna give it to Toei, but Toei just wasn't interested. However, for this release, they may yet use them. Sabat at least wants to use them for a US release & I doubt Toei would wanna give up the chance to have it too, since they'd be giving up on potential money from the Japanese audience. At least, I hope they're not that stupid.
What makes you think Toei wouldn't want to give up the chance using original Japanese broadcast audio literally two sentences after you said that Toei wasn't interested in using broadcast audio? Lol, you're confused.
I meant for a new release of a remastered version of the series. I'm not confused. My mentality on that was that they'd get the masters after finally realizing they need them & then use them for a new release of the series.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:55 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
I have my eye on a few right now including a complete collection, but a few of the boxes have some physical damage. I have no problem continuing to hunt for replacements for the damaged ones to at least get a better quality box, luckily 2 and 4 are not among those. Considering buying the lot for those two alone.
Yeah the ones that i have are for the most part in good condition, although my Dragon Box 3 has a small tear on the back which most likely happened from the previous owner removing the leaflet.
And outbid in the last two seconds. God I'm so furious right now, this is why I hate auctions and would rather do buy it now. Back to the hunt, I guess. Still no confidence in this release.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:03 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
GokuDaimao wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:I Hope if they use the broadcast audios that Chris Sabat will use the audio that animemaakuo release recently, cause it's better than the one he got before and have a whole 218 ep, can use ishikawa alternative for warnings
sadly as kei retain dragon ball audios there's no luck to see them in the "home release" if DB is part of the release

i think they will do announcement the 26 as it will be the day where first db episode was aired on tv in japan

I agree with you completely. I'm just saying those muckety mucks will think that downloading the episodes would be endorsing piracy because they're stupid.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:31 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote: I have my eye on a few right now including a complete collection, but a few of the boxes have some physical damage. I have no problem continuing to hunt for replacements for the damaged ones to at least get a better quality box, luckily 2 and 4 are not among those. Considering buying the lot for those two alone.
And outbid in the last two seconds. God I'm so furious right now, this is why I hate auctions and would rather do buy it now. Back to the hunt, I guess. Still no confidence in this release.
Ouch, i always hate when that happens whenever i'm bidding on things. :thumbdown:

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:37 pm

GokuDaimao wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
GokuDaimao wrote:

I agree with you completely. I'm just saying those muckety mucks will think that downloading the episodes would be endorsing piracy because they're stupid.
What sucks is that I want to support the official release, but I'm not being given any options! I will not buy 16:9 DBZ, period. I have to hunt down and spend ≥$100 for each Dragon Box (and 2, 4, and 7 are even more out there so that's cool) like I'm doing right now and that doesn't even have broadcast audio. So what exactly am I supposed to do? What is the non-pirating option to get the series that isn't in this insulting 16:9 garbage remaster format? If Toei goes ahead with censoring this release like the movies, there IS NO OTHER OPTION. I think the second-hand DBoxes will go up in value too if that's the case! So I'm trying to get as many as I can now.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
GokuDaimao wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:

What sucks is that I want to support the official release, but I'm not being given any options! I will not buy 16:9 DBZ, period. I have to hunt down and spend ≥$100 for each Dragon Box (and 2, 4, and 7 are even more out there so that's cool) like I'm doing right now and that doesn't even have broadcast audio. So what exactly am I supposed to do? What is the non-pirating option to get the series that isn't in this insulting 16:9 garbage remaster format? If Toei goes ahead with censoring this release like the movies, there IS NO OTHER OPTION. I think the second-hand DBoxes will go up in value too if that's the case! So I'm trying to get as many as I can now.
I'm in the same boat that you are when it comes to the show, as in that i simply am not going to waste my money on FUNi's cropped DNR'd to oblivion sets so as such i made the decision to gradually track down the Dragon Boxes. It really sucks that we don't have a convenient 4:3 average joe release readily available at this point for those who want the show in it's proper format and who want the dub score.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:20 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:a lot of companies like Criterion and Shout use other sources for things like audio. I know for Criterions Poilice story they are using Fansourced original audio for Police Story as Fourtune Star did not provide them the original mix, and they have strict rules where you cant alter the video quality of materials they hand out, so I suppose it's possible and not uncommon

theres also been some other relases where extras were sourced from online and other places where it's questionable where there came from (IE and official source)
I used to work for Joy Sales ten years ago when we had the Fortune Star license in Hong Kong. I second your statement on what the licensors provide to licensees. They are very strict on what can be altered on their home video releases. They were okay with me retranslating their movies that were not remastered but gave a big no-no on anything that gets digitally remastered. That caused a huge delay in their home video release of Ringo Lam's School on Fire. We eventually had to release it without the remastering.
The world is your's.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:30 am

Char Aznable wrote:
GokuDaimao wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:

It is a blunt lie on your behalf to claim that you don't have options.

A. Buy The Funimation Dragon Boxes. I just checked, they are all available on eBay.
B. Buy the old Funimation single DVDs. (also all on eBay and cheaper than Dragon Boxes)
C. Buy the Japanese version Dragon Box DVDs and apply fan made patches to the DVD images with a PC to add English subtitles to them
D. Buy the 4:3 digital streaming version from Funimation's site

Like them or not, you do have options and several at that. At least in your case releases exist and are out there to find, unlike Mystic Knights fans such as myself who don't even have any releases out in the wild to obtain.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:20 am

ZodaEX wrote:A. Buy The Funimation Dragon Boxes. I just checked, they are all available on eBay.
Only listing I see for Box 4 is $700 and Box 7 is $800, so unless I’m missing something we have very different definitions of ‘available’. Even if money wasn’t an issue, only a fool would spend that much on one box. I might get lucky one day on Box 7 but Box 4 seems truly impossible.
ZodaEX wrote:B. Buy the old Funimation single DVDs. (also all on eBay and cheaper than Dragon Boxes)
Considered but unfortunately incomplete, considering Saiyan and early Freeza would be censored dub-only.
ZodaEX wrote:C. Buy the Japanese version Dragon Box DVDs and apply fan made patches to the DVD images with a PC to add English subtitles to them
This is...an option, I suppose. Definitely more trouble than it needs to be, but yes it’s an option.
ZodaEX wrote:D. Buy the 4:3 digital streaming version from Funimation's site
Got me there, wasn’t aware 4:3 existed on their streaming service, which is more infuriating than anything else that they refuse to release it again on physical media.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:23 am

ZodaEX wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
GokuDaimao wrote:

It is a blunt lie on your behalf to claim that you don't have options.

A. Buy The Funimation Dragon Boxes. I just checked, they are all available on eBay.
B. Buy the old Funimation single DVDs. (also all on eBay and cheaper than Dragon Boxes)
C. Buy the Japanese version Dragon Box DVDs and apply fan made patches to the DVD images with a PC to add English subtitles to them
D. Buy the 4:3 digital streaming version from Funimation's site

Like them or not, you do have options and several at that. At least in your case releases exist and are out there to find, unlike Mystic Knights fans such as myself who don't even have any releases out in the wild to obtain.
Options 1-3 are various degrees of too expensive, and not to the degree that is reasonable for purchasing a 291 episode TV series. And not everyone likes streaming.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.