Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am a) Z brand is currently as bad as Kai was if not worse in Japan at the moment
Yeah you're right, it's not like they're celebrating it's 30th anniversary this year or anything.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:41 am DBS brand has taken over Z with the mentality of slap the logo and it'll sell over there. And a majority of DBS is still left unmarketed yet it's logo is literally flaunted everywhere. If they don't trust Z to sell its own related products I don't see much hope in a BD release doing well over there. At least not without them jacking the price way up to make up for the fact.
The facet I think you're forgetting is that Super is designed and marketed as the NEW Z. Many of Super's stories and designs are based off of stuff that appeared in Z during it's prime, for example Goku and Vegeta's outfits reverting back to the Android Arc's for no apparent reason, or Trunks and Goten perpetually staying the same age, or an entire arc returning to the Future Trunks setting for no reason rather than using it as a jumping-off point like the Androids did. Not to mention bringing back Frieza alive and well with his design palette-swapping his most famous appearance, or the latest movie adapting the movie famous villain of the Z movies.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Yeah that's a good point KBABZ. Super is basically just (an attempt) at Z-2, now with 15% more humor. It's new forms and fusions and Freeza and Future Trunks and Broli, and etc. etc. Marketing wise it's very similar. What Toei has clearly labeled the "Dragon Ball" portion gets an occasional callback and that's about it.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Branding aside I also don’t see DBZ not being popular .. it’s true that maybe SSJ merchandise isn’t as popular as say SSB or UI merchandise but that is because yeah I think fans do want something new and shiny not that they dislike the old stuff. I mean the gatcha games still make plenty of money off the old and new stuff so nostalgia is still high for the series.

But I don’t think that would translate to people in Japan not wanting to buy DBZ on Blu-ray . It would be very expensive but there is definitely a large enough collector market over there that I am sure it would sell.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:18 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:03 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am a) Z brand is currently as bad as Kai was if not worse in Japan at the moment
Yeah you're right, it's not like they're celebrating it's 30th anniversary this year or anything.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:41 am DBS brand has taken over Z with the mentality of slap the logo and it'll sell over there. And a majority of DBS is still left unmarketed yet it's logo is literally flaunted everywhere. If they don't trust Z to sell its own related products I don't see much hope in a BD release doing well over there. At least not without them jacking the price way up to make up for the fact.
The facet I think you're forgetting is that Super is designed and marketed as the NEW Z. Many of Super's stories and designs are based off of stuff that appeared in Z during it's prime, for example Goku and Vegeta's outfits reverting back to the Android Arc's for no apparent reason, or Trunks and Goten perpetually staying the same age, or an entire arc returning to the Future Trunks setting for no reason rather than using it as a jumping-off point like the Androids did. Not to mention bringing back Frieza alive and well with his design palette-swapping his most famous appearance, or the latest movie adapting the movie famous villain of the Z movies.
Nothing big is happening in Japan for Z though at least thus far. Literally only for the West there seems to be a big celebration.

I am not arguing it's influence but that the actual Z brand isn't so hot right now in Japan. Just like how Kai wasn't doing so hot they decided to play things safe and brand things as Z, in this case they're branding Z stuff as DBS.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:36 pm

I was thinking, once 3000 orders are made (that you apparently can't cancel) what obligates FUNi from acknowledging any updates. At the very least for all we know the box set could be completely different from whats visualized here and they don't have to tell us that because they stated *not final* when the order was placed.

I also wouldn't be surprised if another set of pre-orders were to come. Its like how the Batman TAS limited edition had a silent extended run

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:36 pm I was thinking, once 3000 orders are made (that you apparently can't cancel) what obligates FUNi from acknowledging any updates. At the very least for all we know the box set could be completely different from whats visualized here and they don't have to tell us that because they stated *not final* when the order was placed.

I also wouldn't be surprised if another set of pre-orders were to come. Its like how the Batman TAS limited edition had a silent extended run
Oh totally, I guarantee this won't be nearly as limited as they're saying, I wouldn't be shocked if they end up offering more than their supposed maximum of 6,000 copies. The "limited" aspect of this is totally just to get people to rush to reserve a copy, for fear of missing out.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:21 pm

I think when they say 6000..it will be 6000. Unlike the video source, it is a detail they have disclosed. No reason to think they will make more.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:21 pm I think when they say 6000..it will be 6000. Unlike the video source, it is a detail they have disclosed. No reason to think they will make more.
At least they bothered disclosing it's limited run this time around.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm

I was browsing the "Color Corecting the Dragon Boxes" thread and saw that some of the footage has some pretty bad damage.

Take this Videl screenshot for example:

Is this the reason for the zoom? If it is I have no qualms because that would take a hell of a lot money and work to even try to fix.

Also Mr. Satan:

This is pretty gnarly, look how high up on the footage the tape mark is.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:16 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm I was browsing the "Color Corecting the Dragon Boxes" thread and saw that some of the footage has some pretty bad damage.
Haha, you should look up the Pirate Cave episodes: the tape marks are so high up YOU CAN SEE THE TOP OF THE NEXT FILM FRAME.

Regardless, there's a better solution, which is to identify the shots where you can see the tape marks and fix just THOSE ones. There's no need to zoom in on the ENTIRE show when only 5% of it requires that sort of thing.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 pm

That pre-order bar sure is slowing to a crawl. Haven't broken 2400 pre-orders all day. And I'm pretty sure it was at 2400 last night.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 pm That pre-order bar sure is slowing to a crawl. Haven't broken 2400 pre-orders all day. And I'm pretty sure it was at 2400 last night.
It's five away from 2500.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:26 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:26 pm
Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 pm That pre-order bar sure is slowing to a crawl. Haven't broken 2400 pre-orders all day. And I'm pretty sure it was at 2400 last night.
Yeah but it's taken all night and all day to get there.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:26 pm
There is twenty-seven days left I have no doubt it will make it.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:32 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:30 pm
Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:26 pm

There is twenty-seven days left I have no doubt it will make it.
I'm just pointing out that it has slowed down a lot. That's all.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:35 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm I was browsing the "Color Corecting the Dragon Boxes" thread and saw that some of the footage has some pretty bad damage.
I’ve come across examples like these in Kai, but they’re always limited to a single frame, usually at the beginning of the shot, and unless you’re going through frame by frame, you’ll miss them. I’m guessing that’s the case with these examples as well. It isn’t actually a big deal and it’s an easy fix that doesn’t even require messing with the entire shot.

Those Pirate Cave episodes are a different case, but like KBABZ said, it makes much more sense to fix those on a shot by shot basis.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:35 pm
I’ve come across examples like these in Kai, but they’re always limited to a single frame, usually at the beginning of the shot, and unless you’re going through frame by frame, you’ll miss them. I’m guessing that’s the case with these examples as well. It isn’t actually a big deal and it’s an easy fix that doesn’t even require messing with the entire shot.

Those Pirate Cave episodes are a different case, but like KBABZ said, it makes much more sense to fix those on a shot by shot basis.
Huh, then I don't get the idea of the zoom. But I will wait for FUNimations explanation if they give one.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Looks like this last hourly update only netted two more reservations (from 2495 to 2497).
[Also it's post 500 for me BAYBEEE]
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Maybe people are hearing the flaws and are not backing it.

Also I want to know what everyone was thinking when they heard about this release back in February or January https://www.strawpoll.me/17769485

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:44 pm

Take this Videl screenshot for example:
Is this the reason for the zoom? If it is I have no qualms because that would take a hell of a lot money and work to even try to fix.

Also Mr. Satan:
This is pretty gnarly, look how high up on the footage the tape mark is.
Tape marks aren't hard to remove. Film restoration tools make it very easy to broadly paint areas of an image for the tool to grab information from a neighbouring frame and 99% of the time, a frame with a tape mark on it is a duplicate of a nearby frame that's clean.

They could also just delete the whole frame and duplicate the clean neighbour frame but that would mean static grain for 2 frames, which won't be noticeable when watching but probably not tasteful for purists.