State of the Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Broadcast Audio?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zestanor
Regular

Re: State of the Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Broadcast Audio?

Post by Zestanor » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:28 am

For some reason when you said smashing tapes, I had the mental image of a guy smashing tapes over his head. The hammer is much less cool.

Regarding piracy: the broadcast audio is lost media, so to download it is not “piracy.” If everything had gone according to the original plan, yes, Sabat alone would have the audio. But syncing the BA to the DVDs I purchased a while ago is really easy. We shouldn’t act like there’s no silver lining to the leak. Big silver lining.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:54 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:36 am Wait a minute, when did you email AB and get the reply they don't care?
I didn't, but I've heard word previously that AB don't care to mess around with this or that unauthorised material. I think someone on this forum reached out about it.

Maybe I'm wrong, and they've changed their attitude (certainly, they seem to be thinking a little differently if they're looking at doing a proper HD remaster now), but I don't know. I'm not optimistic.
Zestanor wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:28 am Regarding piracy: the broadcast audio is lost media, so to download it is not “piracy.” If everything had gone according to the original plan, yes, Sabat alone would have the audio. But syncing the BA to the DVDs I purchased a while ago is really easy. We shouldn’t act like there’s no silver lining to the leak. Big silver lining.
1. It's still piracy. Yes, it's piracy of a thing you can't get through non-pirate means, which many would argue means it's not morally piracy, but it's basically the same argument as abandonware in video games -- no one's getting into trouble for it, and there's no moral issue with it, but it's still piracy.

2. This "Silver lining" is imaginary. Again, if the leak had not happened, then it would be on official releases. Instead, its only distribution is through piracy. The fact it's out there isn't the silver lining, you're just pointing out that this worst-case scenario isn't quite as bad as an imaginary situation in which we got neither.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:28 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:54 am 1. It's still piracy. Yes, it's piracy of a thing you can't get through non-pirate means, which many would argue means it's not morally piracy, but it's basically the same argument as abandonware in video games -- no one's getting into trouble for it, and there's no moral issue with it, but it's still piracy.
I have no idea what this means. If it’s not immoral then lets dispense with the spooky name “piracy.”

Filesharing is a breach of the law, but even the law provides a plethora of loopholes so that it can be enforced strongly against corporate offenders, but be mostly ignored for individuals, who in this particular case are in breach of the letter of the law. The intention of the lawmaker was one of lenience toward minor offenders.

Of course, merely breaking the law (even a just one) is not per se what makes an act immoral, under any ethical system. The form of the law, at least in the US, is not “thou shalt not”; rather the form is “if you are convicted of this thou shalt pay a fine or something.” Most ethical systems hold that it is immoral to disobey a legitimate authority. But we say “disobey,” we are equivocating a bit, in the US, since commands are given at the courthouse by a judge, not in the law itself.

On its face, filesharing does not appear to be moral or immoral. Therefore, the morality of filesharing only has up for consideration the effect it would have on our fellow man. And that‘s a personal judgment. It can easily be shown that some level of “piracy” is good for some copyright holders.

But you conceded from the start that you don’t think downloading the BA is immoral. It would be better, true, if there were an HD release with BA (it wouldn’t be better for me actually, since I’m content with the FUNi Dragon Boxes), but since that’s not going to happen, any fan can avail him or herself of the BA and cue it up to their preferred official release. If it’s not immoral then it’s not immoral, and there are no moral qualms about doing this, no matter if you call it “piracy.”

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:01 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:36 am
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:33 pm
Apollo Fungus wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:25 pm Hello. I haven't logged into this forum for like a year and a half, but I have been regularly lurking on various threads and I wanted to jump back in to ask a quick question about all this.

It's been said on many occasions that the leaking of the broadcast audio means that it can't be included on home video releases now, despite Chris Sabat being given it beforehand and saying that he would try to do so. My question is simply this: why can't it be included on home video now that it's leaked?
It's not that it can't be, it's that the only person at Funimation who took the time and effort to talk to the fans, and get ahold of the audio, Chris Sabat, has lost all enthusiasm.

On top of this, Toei don't care, AB Groupe don't care, etc., so as it stands... It's not going to happen.
Apollo Fungus wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:25 pm Or why did Sabat lose enthusiasm, if that wording makes more sense?
I think his view on it is "It's out there now, so it's not special." TBH, I don't think the endless drama over it helped, either.
To be frank though, I don't understand the attitude at play here either, but if Sabat's lost his enthusiasm, all is lost. There's no one left in any official standing who cares, so unless there's a major regime change here or there, it's not happening.
Wait a minute, when did you email AB and get the reply they don't care?
He didn't email AB, someone told him that i did , as usual he talk like if he is involve in anything wrongly
i explained it here cause I contacted someone inside AB myself and here is the discussion
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44115&start=140

without lot if drama i'll react to that "lies" spread here

as it's the topic i'll react to how the broadcast audios cames publicly by saying fact of what happened (as robo was allowed and not censored to say lies about me and what happened i ask not being censored as anyway it will be the final post about this story related to the topic and i await not being censored or edited cause robo4900 goes against my reputation by spreading lies to hide his nasty things

1) originaly a japanese collector kei17 gave me the audios because i gave him several pirated content (others bd and dvd release) i wasn't supposed to shared them publicly and would have never did it, i even asked him to do it , what he allways declined (he didn't wanted lambda people to get audios) , i told him that if he changed his mind i'll do it

Later, i learned from my friend shinmaru that he sent to kei whole westwood z tapes for digitalizing 3 years ago BUT since he got the tape, he didn't bothered answering thoses 3 years about thoses tapes (making the tapes "stollen tapes", i several time read things about kei doing that) , he allways ignored when shinmaru asked the tapes or files SO i choose to help my friend and started to asked kei answering him cause shinmaru a nice guy didn't wanted to fight kei.

So i started asking kei answering him but like he did with shinmaru,, he ignored me SO as i wanted to unlock it, i warned him 3 times that if he'll not do what he was supposed to do or returned the tapes, then i'll leak the audios. kei ignored thoses warnings and we all know what i did right after

so NO even if i unlock DB BA situation for everyone, it was only a revenge originally i am not a savior or anything like that i unlike some people here, assume being what i am and not fake being someone nice that i'll never be, Originally i could have kept them for myself if nothing really change , The "funny" things is that since i leaked them and exposed this story, finally after three years did what he promise to do and finally answered to my friend (so sad to do extremist things only to make someone respecting his promise)

2) About robo : Before leaking publicly i originally shared the audios to 1 and only people that i know is able to do clean thoses audios , a good audio engineer i'll called him mr "V", he asked me to give the audios to robo cause it's his friend, i was nice and accepted giving him so at that time only two people got the audios from me

I asked robo not using the audio for Funimation cause i know perfectly that they wouldn't have done anything (Funi don't listens to fans, if chris sabat is so influent, then why can't he even make funimation used the raw scans or not doing DNR?) more than that, nothing publicly showed ever said that sabat would really have tried if audios didn't leaked (and even with that i don't see why a pirated release prevent an official better one to be done).

SO i gave thoses audios to robo and some time later before the leak, i told robo, what i'll do.
Right there Robo asked me to wait before releasing, cause he wanted to use the oportunity to get from a member here "DBZimran" the westwood audios that he own (so mr robo asked me the use of pirated audios to get others pirated audios "so funny when you read him do morals to others") he did it , he got the audios from imran and wasn't supposed to shared them but he made imran uploading into Arian's server (full story here in webarchive)
http://web.archive.org/web/202005021127 ... 7117997056
i asked him sample of that audios to see if it was worthy to try to get back shinmaru's tapes, he declined hiding behind a non sharing promise that he already brake it by making imran uploading into Arian ftp server where some people was having access

Before that time i was nice with him and Arian even if they did me morals each time i am aggressive or give people personnals informations but right after robo get the westwood, with his friend made laugh about imran about his audios and teased him with things that they'll get using his stuffs from another collector (what is pretty nasty coming from people that make morals to others). After that i did an interpretation mistake and where only robo was really nasty (Arian didn't really did anything himself) i got against the two of them

SO That's why i left them, not robo's lies about them hoarding things (why would i have an issue with fuji tv recording cause i was having access to them?) thoses recordings was never meant for funimation it's recordings from someone called "D13" well known in the broadcast video sharing world and he sended them to Arian (robo never did anything as usual he take credit of what others did like when he claim being the one that gave audios to sabat , whole z audios were givent by his friends to derek padula that gave them to sabat, gt audios 27-64 i gave them myself to padula
so thoses recording i shared in lower quality i shared them also as a revenge (i got them years ago so it's not new) but i only shared what i was having permission to shared (fuji tv i got the original source permission to do it)

About what i said about kanzenshuu i was a little harsh and my bad grammar make the things badly understood it's not hoarding things (kanzenshuu and VegettoEX don't have anything to do with that)

what i said about this website admin was ONLY cause some influent members are allowed to say EVERYTHING they want including dramas and lies without being censored even when saying fake informations or lies about others members but only asked to stop where the opponent parts are banned or censored if they answered preventing the truth being discuss (or you delete everything or you let people answering to lies) and i am pretty sure that if this post is deleted or edited and myself banned, it will only show why i got the feeling about the admin. if i am censored, everyone should be if they said something out of topic or drama related but as

so that is what happened

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:52 am

Yeah I found the narrative posted on here to not be truthful but I didn’t want to bother speaking truth on the matter in case it just led to an endless debate.

The narrative here tells the story as if there were two sides: the good guys (Robo4900 and his friends) working so hard to take the BA to Sabat for an official release; and the bad guys who sold/traded it amongst each other and eventually leaked it to the public.

Without naming who it was to avoid drama, the funny part is it was Robo4900’s friend (the one he says ripped dougo’s Fuji tapes for Sabat etc) who was the one that sold the broadcast audio to someone on this forum for $200 and that person gave it to WinxBloom for it to be leaked. So, yeah, Robo4900’s complaints of people selling and leaking the audio impeding the righteous efforts of his and his friends is kind of funny when it was his own friend that he’s working with who immorally sold broadcast audio and is responsible for the leak. And almost everyone who was in the middle of those events back in 2017-2018 knows this, including Derek Padula.

Speaking of Derek Padula... the poster’s narrative puts himself (and his friend) at the centre of getting audio to Sabat. But I think this is very well known knowledge even here on the forum that it was Derek Padula and AnimeMaakuo who got audio to Sabat back in 2016-2017. The poser here had nothing to do with any of that, nor his friend who sold and led to the leak of the audio. Further, the leak of the audio happened still before the poster and his friend had any unique broadcast audio to contact Sabat with, yet the narrative points to strong familiarity with how Sabat viewed the leak at the time...

Anyway, yeah since I saw somebody else amending some of the bias of the previously posted narrative, thought I’d help out. It wasn’t a good guys vs bad guys routine.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:21 am

And with that, we reach the end of this thread!

Unfortunately, the discussion taking place at this point makes sense and is relevant to the small group of people in-fighting, and literally no-one else. It is almost completely inscrutable, and neither its tone nor content reflect our community guidelines.

While Kanzenshuu is 100% about documenting history (I think we've certainly proven that over our literal decades of work now, in addition to what's still yet to come!), what's being discussed here is not historical context: from what very little I can even remotely figure out, it's all just about weird shady deals and casting aspersions on anyone and anything possible. Your drama is yours alone; we want nothing to do with it, and we will have nothing to do with it.

What we have here on display completely outweighs any value of either the underlying source material or factual discussion about it, at least for the time being. That's incredibly disappointing.

Perhaps one day we will have companies that who, through their official ownership of the franchise, will seek out ways only they can to preserve their own history and find new and innovative ways to celebrate Dragon Ball in a manner that both respects its own inherent value and respects the fans who wish to view it in that same light.

Until then, I encourage you to read up on what copyright law actually is and how it is actually handled internationally, support organizations (and even politicians) who seek to reform draconian and irrelevant rules, and more importantly than anything else, just please be good to each other.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::