Is Gohan’s form referred to as “Ultimate Gohan” in Daizenshuu 3?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Is Gohan’s form referred to as “Ultimate Gohan” in Daizenshuu 3?

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Having a bit of a debate on twitter and I can’t seem to definitively figure out if Gohan was ever referred to as “ultimate Gohan” prior to Kai and Super. My understanding was that the form was never named in the series proper and it was called “saikyo no senshi” in the guidebooks. Someone posted an image supposedly from daizenshuu 3 where it does seem to be calling him ultimate Gohan.

Can someone help me out please, I’m very confused.

Here is a link to the tweet with the image in question.

https://twitter.com/errenvanduine/statu ... 90369?s=21
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Re: Is Gohan’s form referred to as “Ultimate Gohan” in Daizenshuu 3?

Post by ankokudaishogun » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:51 pm

yes, the characters in the red square translate as Ultimate Gohan

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Is Gohan’s form referred to as “Ultimate Gohan” in Daizenshuu 3?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:45 am

The "Saikyō no Senshi" citation in question is from Daizenshuu 2's "Growing Up" section. It's a bit odd in that it uses a combination of normal transformation names alongside more descriptive ones; for example, Cell arc Super Saiyan 2 Gohan is just "Super Saiyan 2" while 25th tournament Super Saiyan 2 Gohan is "High School Days Super Saiyan 2." It is this same section whose highlight box says "Saikyō no Senshi" alongside Ultimate Gohan.

Daizenshuu 7's pull-out poster labels him in this form as "Super Son Gohan".

But yeah, Ultimate Gohan was in usage before what you mentioned; he is also called that in "Sparking! METEOR" for example (and at least as early as the first "Sparking!" but my screenshot collage is from the third game).

That all being said, the image in question from Kagari/Erren's tweet that you linked is actually from Daizenshuu 10, which was likewise released long before that.

And there's also his Super Battle Collection figure, where he's "Ultimate Version".

(We have posts on this very forum going back to 2005, a year after the furthest-back install/archive we have, actively using the term "Ultimate Gohan.")

(This is probably worthy of an article or something...)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::