Does the fact the DBS anime is not returning make you loose intrest in DB?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Does the fact the DBS anime is not returning make you loose intrest in DB?

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:46 am

Hell nah! The manga never stopped and it’s so dope! I wish mire DB fans would read the original manga as well.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:11 pm

The animated aspect still adds main value to Dragon Ball as it filled the crib to give birth to its biggest success. It's one of the most typical shounen of all shounen anime. Reading a manga like Death Note non-animated or seeing it animated makes only a small difference in comparison with reading DBS-manga or seeing it animated.

shomangaka

Post by shomangaka » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:27 am

I still read the dbs manga and I play fighterz. I re-read the original manga and have a rewatch of the show in Japanese every 5-6 years or so. Right now I am doing a rewatch of all the movies in Japanese because I never had a chance to do so before.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Absolutely not.

As far as I'm concerned, the manga is definitively better -- better storytelling, better characterization, more focused plot beats, better use of themes, doesn't incessantly waste the audience's time with surface-level "moments" and padding (except for the current arc I guess), I could go on and on about why I prefer the comicalized medium over the animated one.

The Galactic Patrol arc has its share of serious problems, but I still prefer it to any story the anime has ever told.

If the shoe was on the other foot and the TV series kept going while the manga ended, then I would lose interest in Super completely.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:52 pm

No. Look no further than the Potafuer arc. TOEI should not do anything without Toriyama.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:26 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:38 pm The final hope for DBS to return in 2020 has somehow faded with the announcement of the new Digimon anime, which will air on FUJI-tv in April. What does that mean in relation with your personal commitment to the franchise?
Do you guys feel less invested and intrested now there hasn't been an anime for two years and does not seem to return anytime soon?
It's clear there are less posts in general here in comparison when Super was airing or even when the movie Broly was in preparation.

Are you less intrested the DBS manga arc of Moro now you know it's not going to be adapted anytime soon (it could even become never adapted in worste case)?
Do you feel you will only experience a new kind of 'hype' when the first trailer drops for the movie (which could be a wait untill 2021 or 2022)? Or do you really need a weekly anime to stay invested?

We will get a new Dragon Quest-anime in the second half of the year. That's not exactly DB but it's somehow related because it's very Toriyama-esque, as he made the art designs for the series way back in the 80's and 90's. The series definitely has a DB-vibe in it. In absence of a real DBS-anime, is that something that you would consider to give a chance?

would say yes ...
Dragon ball heroes ... do not help at all because it is only promotional material to sell cards ... and video games in general are only a material that only the Japanese can enjoy because they have access ... it is not the same in other continents if you don't have money ... those who think they are knowledgeable just by watching game play videos on the internet or reading synopsis of unknown characters are only proof that a video game cannot replace the animation

the manga went from acceptable to terrible in almost 2 years ...it's not that toyotaro is to blame but ... he think too much like a very old fan of the series .. focused on things that shouldn't matter and also makes mistakes ... with the relevance of certain characters
Matches Malone wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:57 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:51 pmI almost feel a breath of fresh air not hearing about what kind of stupid thing it did next. It made me enjoy the older stuff more, actually.
I honestly can't argue with this as I feel the same. I do however believe that if given extra time, things will change for the better, which we're already seeing in the current arc. I understand that it isn't for everyone, but at least we're getting something new for a change instead of just bringing someone back from the good old days. I'd take a new character and concept that aren't perfect over seeing Cell come back or Cooler being rebooted any day.
something new is not synonymous with "quality", moro arc is proof of that ...

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:28 am

Tai Lung wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:26 pmsomething new is not synonymous with "quality", moro arc is proof of that ...
I pointed that out, but despite it not being perfect, I'd take that over another nostalgic idea as it brings something new to the table.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:29 am

Honestly they should just recycle the Heroes Universal Conflict arc in the manga and in the anime when in it returns, it feels like the perfect arc to bring some closure to that whole pre-End of Z saga and all the main points of that storyline are perfect.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:49 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:29 am Honestly they should just recycle the Heroes Universal Conflict arc in the manga and in the anime when in it returns, it feels like the perfect arc to bring some closure to that whole pre-End of Z saga and all the main points of that storyline are perfect.
And more Zamasu is always welcomed.

:P

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 am

No. DBS anime killed my interest in the first place. Not at first, not at first. I was so hyped for new content and then they gave us poorly animated and badly written retellings. Then came something new: Tournament of Champa. I had hopes for something good, but it came out boring as hell and... ugly. Never before in my life I've been skipping episodes of Dragon Ball (or other anime). I wanted it to end.
Only good episodes of anime are the ones with slice of life stuff.
Manga brought back my interest with Future Trunks Arc. It's not perfect, has issues, but it never let me down as many times as anime did.

In fact, I'm more interesed now than before. I'm enjoying Moro's Arc so far but I hope they'll finally jump to EoZ territory.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:26 am

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:49 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:29 am Honestly they should just recycle the Heroes Universal Conflict arc in the manga and in the anime when in it returns, it feels like the perfect arc to bring some closure to that whole pre-End of Z saga and all the main points of that storyline are perfect.

Indeed it is. Especially since I really like the new look of Mecha Fused Zamasu, I don't prefer him over his Halo state but I still enjoy it. That was definitely one of the best decisions Heroes made.

Unfortunately Zamasu didn't really end up doing much in that arc, like all the other villains (Hearts included), but I know that that plot could be great if properly developed in an anime of full 22 minutes episodes.

Well when I said "recycle" I really just meant "borrow some plot points", obviously I am expecting a lot of changes. But things like Zamasu's potential return (which was a popular fan theory during the ToP arc), a new mysterious villain who seeks to dethrone Zeno, and a team-up between Goku-Jiren-Hit are very good points for a future endgame arc.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:38 pm The final hope for DBS to return in 2020 has somehow faded with the announcement of the new Digimon anime, which will air on FUJI-tv in April. What does that mean in relation with your personal commitment to the franchise?
Do you guys feel less invested and intrested now there hasn't been an anime for two years and does not seem to return anytime soon?
It's clear there are less posts in general here in comparison when Super was airing or even when the movie Broly was in preparation.

Are you less intrested the DBS manga arc of Moro now you know it's not going to be adapted anytime soon (it could even become never adapted in worste case)?
Do you feel you will only experience a new kind of 'hype' when the first trailer drops for the movie (which could be a wait untill 2021 or 2022)? Or do you really need a weekly anime to stay invested?

We will get a new Dragon Quest-anime in the second half of the year. That's not exactly DB but it's somehow related because it's very Toriyama-esque, as he made the art designs for the series way back in the 80's and 90's. The series definitely has a DB-vibe in it. In absence of a real DBS-anime, is that something that you would consider to give a chance?
No, I just hate waiting for more animated DB. I've been a fan sine the last 80's. My interest will never go away.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:13 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:31 pm

No, I just hate waiting for more animated DB. I've been a fan sine the last 80's. My interest will never go away.

Since the good old Club Dorothée-days? Me too.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Oui. I didn't know you were an old-time fan that got into it with the french dub, too :)

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:06 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:55 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Oui. I didn't know you were an old-time fan that got into it with the french dub, too :)

Yes, first as a kid i was only a fan of Saint Seiya and Bioman, but i got into DB because it was right before these shows.

Recently (september last year?) read the very sad news Ariane (voix du générique and co-presentator of Club Dorothée) past away at pretty young age. :(

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:12 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:26 am
ZombieVito wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:49 am

Indeed it is. Especially since I really like the new look of Mecha Fused Zamasu, I don't prefer him over his Halo state but I still enjoy it. That was definitely one of the best decisions Heroes made.

Unfortunately Zamasu didn't really end up doing much in that arc, like all the other villains (Hearts included), but I know that that plot could be great if properly developed in an anime of full 22 minutes episodes.

Well when I said "recycle" I really just meant "borrow some plot points", obviously I am expecting a lot of changes. But things like Zamasu's potential return (which was a popular fan theory during the ToP arc), a new mysterious villain who seeks to dethrone Zeno, and a team-up between Goku-Jiren-Hit are very good points for a future endgame arc.
I actually like his Heroes look a little better. I wish it was DLC for FighterZ or XV2.

You are also right, a proper developed Universe Conflict arc will honestly be a very good way to end Super and lead it to Oob.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:26 pm

From a collector's perspective, not really. Having a new series after so long was a lot of fun while it lasted and it felt good to be picking up the Blu-Rays and manga volumes as they came out.

Now, coming off 2 good enough movies at the time, a fun, but largely mediocre series, a solid third movie and a decent manga I'm content with new animated Dragon Ball for a little while. I don't mind it existing, I'm open to more coming but won't lose sleep if it doesn't as there are always advantages to having a breather.

Will I have the same craving for new Dragon Ball at some point? It's certainly possible but not a foregone conclusion as I'm mostly satisfied with what we've got in addition to the original run. This series is a huge part of my life and played a key role in my own personal development so of course if new content is coming I'll be intrigued, if it's good, even better.

Just hoping I'll be finished collecting Derek Padula's books by the time we get new stuff as my wallet is constantly preparing for new content and physical media to house it, especially as an adult when I have other expenses to cover.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:16 am

No. Dragon Ball Super was kind of bad overall. I'd rather not see it get worse.

If we do get more, it should be a movie written by Toriyama himself. Not a show Toei writes, cheaply animates, and drags on.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:28 am

Peach wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:16 am No. Dragon Ball Super was kind of bad overall. I'd rather not see it get worse.

If we do get more, it should be a movie written by Toriyama himself. Not a show Toei writes, cheaply animates, and drags on.
A lot of the issues Super 1.0 faced will be gone or massively reduced if it ever returns as it won't be rushed into production like before.

When it comes to the stories, Toriyama still gave us Minus and RF so he's not exactly perfect. Broly's story also wasn't anything to write home about.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:34 am

No. The lack of good content is a major force for one to lose interest. Almost a decade after the series finished, it was decided to bring it back but all it managed to accomplish was crap retellings and two boring tournaments in a row. Oh and there was just one saga with a plot somewhere in there (but it was an average one overall, unfortunately).

That and taking into consideration all the themes, subjects, possibilities and etc that have become so popular these days, it just gets even worse. As it feels like the series is stagnant and can't move on. If I want to see the same thing again, I would just watch the anime or read the manga of old. It was great that the Multiverse concept was introduced for a change, but it has yet to be properly explored, for instance. Not to mention other problems.

Well, thankfully we do have a counterbalance to that, though.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~