After Toriyama, Who do you think has the best grasp on DragonBall?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

After Toriyama, Who do you think has the best grasp on DragonBall?

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:02 pm

Whether its a scriptwriter like Koyama/Matsui/Watanabe/etc or mangaka/artists like DGL, Toyo, Ooishi, Who do you think has the best overall grasp of the world of db, the characters, the themes/tones, etc?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: After Toriyama, Who do you think has the best grasp on DragonBall?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:04 pm

The editor who told Toriyama that having your big bads be a fat china doll and an old geezer is ill advised.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:41 pm

Koyama was the best writer we have ever had. His TV specials were perfectly written in my opinion, even though they were tonally different from the stuff by Toriyama. His movies were a bit hit and miss but were closer to the manga in tone.
And the 2008 OVA he wrote perfectly captured Dragon Ball and his characters, in my opinion.

After Koyama, there’s definitely Toyotaro.
I don’t really like how he writes some characters at times, but his gags are perfectly DB, and he nails down the world and the tone of Toriyama’s world.
Besides, he’s been writing Super for 5 years and has been praised by Toriyama himself, so he might be the one person closest to Toriyama in style right now.

An honorable mention goes to DragonGarowLee who too seems to understand quite well Toriyama’s Dragon Ball. But there’s not enough of his material to give a full judgement.

I think some script writer from Super was always quite on-point, but it’s difficult to say exactly what they did as we don’t know if the DB Room, the directors or even Toriyama did some changes to various scripts.
Either way King Ryu, Tomioka and Toshio are names of writers I remember providing some nicely written episodes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:46 pm

I think Tomioka Atsuhiro and King Ryuu have the best grasp as writers. They understand the sort of lackadaisical nature of the character interactions and are both really good with writing engaging overarching plots. Heck, Tomioka's also got a great handle on interesting battle strategies. We don't just see this in Dragon Ball Super itself but also in his other battle series, like Pocket Monster.

For directors, I think Nagamine Tatsuya did a really good job for his limited oversight with the series. He brought his history with the series--originally being an assistant director during the mid-1990s franchise--and combined it with the experience he gained working on weekly long-running series and managed to--if only lightly--apply it to Dragon Ball through the recruitment episodes of the Tournament of Power arc. I think Hatano Morio also had a great mind for pushing Dragon Ball in new directions. He and Tomioka Atsuhiro really helped give the Gokuu Black episodes are unique and new atmosphere, combining mystery and intrigue with queer elements. I want to see Hatano given another shot at the Gokuu Black arc, this time with more support from the studio.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:21 pm

Sumizawa Katsuyuki...writer of Gundam Wing. lol