What version/release of DB/Z have the most accurate colors?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

What version/release of DB/Z have the most accurate colors?

Post by 10gigtriforce » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:42 pm

The dragon boxes have tint to them, as do the selectavision from what I've been able to see so those are out. Funi's [color] dbz bricks all have that washed out/bleached look. their blue DB bricks have other weird color issues too. The level sets crush blacks. The madman/funi single vhs/dvds(and UUE) I've been told are too dark to what they should be.

So is there a version with accurate colors? By now I'm guessing the original master's have rotted even more. But the 3rd gen strips funi got had decent colors so maybe the 2nd gen film? Or possibly the recordings of original airings that broadcasters kept in japan?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: What version/release of DB/Z have the most accurate colors?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:24 pm

"Accurate colours" is an inherently naive thing to look for; every source out there will distort the colours in one way or another, you can only look at several nice-looking sources and decide which ones you think are the nicest, and consider that your preferred grade.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:11 pm

The sweet spot for me is probably somewhere between the DBoxes and the Level sets. DBoxes are pretty close to the original source being from the actual Toei film and all.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:11 pm The sweet spot for me is probably somewhere between the DBoxes and the Level sets. DBoxes are pretty close to the original source being from the actual Toei film and all.
This is just the wrong things to say... Everybody should know even because it is from original negative film that does NOT mean anythings about the accurate of color after many years

The most accurate color would actually be old Chinese VCD. I say because there is no tint and no black crush or overbrightness like funimation sources. but it have same hue as funimation sources. it is like mix of original broadcast recording and dragon ball kai. but very rare and also VCD so it have low quality.

funimation sources (even orange brick) have accurate hues. they always just have bad alpha and luma and saturation issue but hue are accurate
Last edited by HakkaiBills93 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:45 pm

I'm surprised none of the blurays (at least that I've seen) don't have a manga filter. Like movies that have noir filter like Logan to make black and white

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:00 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:58 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:11 pm The sweet spot for me is probably somewhere between the DBoxes and the Level sets. DBoxes are pretty close to the original source being from the actual Toei film and all.
This is just the wrong things to say... Everybody should know even because it is from original negative film that does NOT mean anythings about the accurate of color after many years

The most accurate color would actually be old Chinese VCD. I say because there is no tint and no black crush or overbrightness like funimation sources. but it have same hue as funimation sources. it is like mix of original broadcast recording and dragon ball kai. but very rare and also VCD so it have low quality.

funimation sources (even orange brick) have accurate hues. they always just have bad alpha and luma and saturation issue but hue are accurate

I didn't say the colors were 100% accurate on the DBoxes...but the overall presentation is much closer to what was intended to be seen compared to any of FUNi's releases.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:31 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:00 pm I didn't say the colors were 100% accurate on the DBoxes...but the overall presentation is much closer to what was intended to be seen compared to any of FUNi's releases.
I did not say you said 100% accurate. This thread topic is accurate color and you say DBox is good source because toei film... Everybody know DBox color are some of worst color of DBZ ever.

do you even know what the difference happen when toei film vs multi generation film? You say DBox must be closest to original look because from toei film but please explain HOW this difference is. What exactly make DBox closer to original about Toei film than other film

also i will explain to you later, but Funimation DBZ singles are closer to original color than DBox. Even orange brick is more closer except too much saturation and contrast. but hue of orange brick is like original colors

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:13 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:31 pm

I did not say you said 100% accurate. This thread topic is accurate color and you say DBox is good source because toei film... Everybody know DBox color are some of worst color of DBZ ever.
I disagree. Are they perfect..nope but they are pretty damn good considering the options out there. What's your evidence that you are using here?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:37 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:13 pm What's your evidence that you are using here?
please first answer my request for you to explain this thing you said, then you can make your requests to me for a thing like evidence.

if you need remind:
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:31 pm do you even know what the difference happen when toei film vs multi generation film? You say DBox must be closest to original look because from toei film but please explain HOW this difference is. What exactly make DBox closer to original about Toei film than other film

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:10 am

SSJmole wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:45 pm I'm surprised none of the blurays (at least that I've seen) don't have a manga filter. Like movies that have noir filter like Logan to make black and white
You can easily do that with your TV settings. That aside, it wouldn't be an accurate manga filter unless you're a BIG fan of the "black and white inks" look that Tankobon gives the coloured Chapters. Greyscale is not the same as black and white manga inkwork!

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:10 am
SSJmole wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:45 pm I'm surprised none of the blurays (at least that I've seen) don't have a manga filter. Like movies that have noir filter like Logan to make black and white
You can easily do that with your TV settings. That aside, it wouldn't be an accurate manga filter unless you're a BIG fan of the "black and white inks" look that Tankobon gives the coloured Chapters. Greyscale is not the same as black and white manga inkwork!
I agree it wouldn't be. But like the Noir comic filters they are cool even if inaccurate. I'm just surprised they don't add that feature , should be easy to do and some may like it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:37 am

SSJmole wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 am
I agree it wouldn't be. But like the Noir comic filters they are cool even if inaccurate. I'm just surprised they don't add that feature , should be easy to do and some may like it.
As I said it's even easier to do if you just opened the Picture settings on your TV and adjust the Colour setting down to 0. Even my first CRT television could do that!

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:16 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:37 am
SSJmole wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 am
As I said it's even easier to do if you just opened the Picture settings on your TV and adjust the Colour setting down to 0. Even my first CRT television could do that!
I still like having it as a feature lol I watched Logan that way on my 2nd viewing (1st cinema , then when I got Blu-ray I watched it that way) it's just a harmless feature lol

It's like you can just YouTube the textless intro and end song but I like having them on disc lol

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:30 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:42 pm The dragon boxes have tint to them, as do the selectavision from what I've been able to see so those are out. Funi's [color] dbz bricks all have that washed out/bleached look. their blue DB bricks have other weird color issues too. The level sets crush blacks. The madman/funi single vhs/dvds(and UUE) I've been told are too dark to what they should be.

So is there a version with accurate colors? By now I'm guessing the original master's have rotted even more. But the 3rd gen strips funi got had decent colors so maybe the 2nd gen film? Or possibly the recordings of original airings that broadcasters kept in japan?
From what I've seen of the original animation cells of Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Kai is as close as we'll probably ever get. From what I've been shown, they're pretty much a perfect match. In regards to how it looked on TV in Japan, VHS recordings from the time are probably your best bet (though, let's be real, that isn't going to be super readily available).