How did you feel the first time you saw Bulma's panties in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How did you feel the first time you saw Bulma's panties in Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:29 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:32 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:36 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:03 pm

They removed most of it entirely. Pretty sure after Goku blows Bulma a raspberry she goes straight to offering that they travel together.

I do remember in the third episode they changed Roshi asking to see Bulma’s underwear to asking to see her belly button.
FUNi entirely re wrote most all of Roshi's pafu pafu scenes if i recall correctly, including in the Mt. Frypan episode when Oolong (poorly) shape shifts into Bulma. It's been a while since i've last watched the dub so the exact dialogue escapes me but it was indeed majorly toned down from the Japanese version.
The DVDs kept the "let me see your underwear" for Roshi intact. For the Fire Mountain stuff, the dub changes it to a date I think, but Oolong/Bulma still clearly pulls her top down and Roshi's reaction afterwards is clearly more than just getting a date.
In the context of the uncut dub after Oolong!Bulma goes on about how Roshi makes her heart beat like a drum and go boom boom (s)he says “just look” and pulls her top down. I guess the implication is “she” was so excited by Roshi blowing up the mountain she had to flash him. So to recap

Japanese version- Roshi wanted something perverse (to poke Bulma’s tits) and Oolong takes it further by having him do a pafu pafu on “Bulma’s” bare breast

1995 Funi dub- Roshi wants something pure and innocent (to have Bulma set him on a date with a women his age) and Oolong gets his revenge by having “Bulma” hit on Roshi and say he should date her (and a comment from Roshi that she’s too young for him)

2001 Funi uncut dub- Roshi wants something pretty innocent but kind of lecherous since she’s underage (a walk on the beach) and Oolong gets his revenge by having Bulma talk about how how sexy he is and how excited he makes her and then flashes him (but I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have Roshi motorboat her and Roshi just gets excited at seeing her breast)

2001 Funi edited dub- Same as above without the flashing

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How did you feel the first time you saw Bulma's panties in Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:48 pm
Good job, Funi. I know you wanted to change the dialogue so that Bulma could lift her skirt... but wasn't that scene still cut on the CN broadcast? xD
Bulma lifting her nightgown up and down repeatedly to secure the dragon ball was definitely kept (and I want to say Roshi’s nose bleed was kept but not 100 percent on that part) the first time Bulma pulls up her nightgown and her bare butt is exposed was removed (for obvious reasons) which is funny because unless we’re suppose to believe Bulma is wearing shorts underneath Roshi got to see her panties anyways in the edited dub.

...of course, BLT had the exact opposite problem of breaking Roshi's character in a way that jars immediately, since one of the first scenes of ep 14 is Roshi watching an exercise program and one of the last scenes is Roshi saying he wants a girl that's, among other things, "not too old"... and since ep 13 is the last episode BLT did in its run, you can see how that would be problematic...
I actually kind of want to know how Funimation/BLT would have handled the later stuff with Roshi. I guess they could have changed Roshi wanting female company to wanting a housekeeper? (Since that’s basically what Lunch was anyways).

I’m almost positive Toonami somehow kept the whole Roshi wanting Bulma’s microband to spy on her taking a piss (I guess since he wasn’t successful it was okay?) no clue what the hell Funimation could have/would have down in their much more toned down 95 dub.