What do you want with Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Mad Swami » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:28 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:10 pm
To bring this back to Broly. I don't see how much depth they can get from his sob story. It was almost comical.
Well I think a cute little friendship story, one about people not using him for gain and instead just care about him. His power and how he controls it was what Paragus cared about, Frieza, and Vegeta for more reasonable reasons. However few care about just him. That's all you need

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:57 am

Considerin how LSSJ Broly whooped Bluper Goku & Veggie's ass like nothin, dude pretty much rivals God's of Destruction.

Would like an entire Arc dedicated for Broly. Not the same old ass flashback. Something like Phantom Troope Arc for Kurapika in HXHX2011.

Proper storyline, buildup, villain & tie-in parallel to Goku/Veggie's storyline

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:57 am

Mad Swami wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:28 pm
To bring this back to Broly. I don't see how much depth they can get from his sob story. It was almost comical.
Well I think a cute little friendship story, one about people not using him for gain and instead just care about him. His power and how he controls it was what Paragus cared about, Frieza, and Vegeta for more reasonable reasons. However few care about just him. That's all you need
Maybe. I don't think he should be kept around that long, though.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:06 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:58 am
ABED wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:50 am Nothing. I find nothing remotely interesting about his personality and it's already such a huge stretch that someone in isolation and no real training is able to compete with seasoned fighters with god Ki all because he throws a hissy fit.

He worked fine as a one-off movie antagonist but yeah he’s not interesting enough to bring back..
I want to correct this Broly was never the antagonist he was the protagonist hence the movie name and that time where we see FPS style his fight against Goku, another point toward this fact is that Broly was saved by the Dragon Ball by Cheelai who saw the good in him. The antagonist where Frieza also to a lesser extent Paragus but mostly Goku, Vegeta and their fusion Gogeta.

Broly was 100% the Protagonist of this movie. No one else.
funrush wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pmI wanna see Broly develop more as a person too. Let's go all the way with that Tarzan thing and show him try to get accustomed to living in society. Maybe learning how to train with someone actually on his level. Learning to control his rage more, etc. There's some arcs there.
I love this because indeed Broly is totally a Tarzan expy here. And we can work so much stories that mirror the King of the Jungle.

As some people wanted too, I want also Broly to have a little arc where we saw him controling his power I think it can be done differently than what we got from Kale during the ToP.

One thing for sure is ... I want more from him and also I love the idea of the OP of this thread with making Broly a kind of Phoenix Ikki of the Z Team. A Wild card appearing when things got tough.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:06 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:58 am
ABED wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:50 am Nothing. I find nothing remotely interesting about his personality and it's already such a huge stretch that someone in isolation and no real training is able to compete with seasoned fighters with god Ki all because he throws a hissy fit.

He worked fine as a one-off movie antagonist but yeah he’s not interesting enough to bring back..
I want to correct this Broly was never the antagonist he was the protagonist hence the movie name and that time where we see FPS style his fight against Goku, another point toward this fact is that Broly was saved by the Dragon Ball by Cheelai who saw the good in him. The antagonist where Frieza also to a lesser extent Paragus but mostly Goku, Vegeta and their fusion Gogeta.

Broly was 100% the Protagonist of this movie. No one else.
funrush wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pmI wanna see Broly develop more as a person too. Let's go all the way with that Tarzan thing and show him try to get accustomed to living in society. Maybe learning how to train with someone actually on his level. Learning to control his rage more, etc. There's some arcs there.
I love this because indeed Broly is totally a Tarzan expy here. And we can work so much stories that mirror the King of the Jungle.

As some people wanted too, I want also Broly to have a little arc where we saw him controling his power I think it can be done differently than what we got from Kale during the ToP.

One thing for sure is ... I want more from him and also I love the idea of the OP of this thread with making Broly a kind of Phoenix Ikki of the Z Team. A Wild card appearing when things got tough.
FYI, antagonist doesn't mean bad guy. It's just the term for opposing force of the main character(s). I'll give you this though, an argument can be made that the film is about him, but I would still consider Goku (and Vegeta) the main characters.

The title character can be the antagonist.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:58 am

ABED wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:57 am
Mad Swami wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:28 pm
Maybe. I don't think he should be kept around that long, though.
Well that's fair

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:54 pm

Vijay wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:57 am Would like an entire Arc dedicated for Broly. Not the same old ass flashback. Something like Phantom Troope Arc for Kurapika in HXHX2011.
Obligatory "HxH is awesome!" comment. Seriously tho, I don't think anyone at TOEI is ballsy enough to make an arc like that work. The closest thing to the Yorkshin City arc we had in Super was the Zamasu Arc and that arc did not handle its moving parts well. TOEI is only ever successful when it keeps things straight forward. So a Broly arc would need to be the Broly show for it to work and that's not a deviation TOEI is likely to go with
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:31 pm

Broly was already doomed when they made him become BFFs with Cheelai and Lemo.

All that will happen with him now is he'll be one the new Vegeta now that Vegeta isn't getting as screwed over as much as he used.

So he'll be some good guy who will be used as a benchmark to make other antagonists look bad. This ruining what made the character so popular in the first place.

He should become a neutral third party. Neither protagonist or antagonist, the kind of character who would show up and beat the bad guy and save Goku and Vegeta only to continue his rampage and end up being more of a threat than the other guy.

That would be something very different which of course means it won't happen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:51 pm

Thunderbird wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:31 pmHe should become a neutral third party. Neither protagonist or antagonist, the kind of character who would show up and beat the bad guy and save Goku and Vegeta only to continue his rampage and end up being more of a threat than the other guy.

That would be something very different which of course means it won't happen.
So replay much of DBS Broly? Why should they replay that fight again? How is that different?

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:01 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:51 pm So replay much of DBS Broly? Why should they replay that fight again? How is that different?
No I didn't say that particularly. The series has more than enough antagonists become useless sidelined protagonists. Thanks to Super Dragon Ball Heroes that's yet again happened now with Hit and Jiren.

That is the fate that will most likely await Broly. He should be neither a protagonist or an antagonist, he should be his own uncontrollable beast that is a danger to anyone near him.

He should be what the T-rex was in Jurassic World. You run from the T-rex, you are frightened of the T-rex, you don't want that thing anywhere by you because nothing good will come of it....until there's a bigger dinosaur around, then you do want it there but still not anywhere by you.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:20 pm

Except the T-Rex is an amoral animal. It has only one instinct - survival. Broly is a good person with free will. He has rage issues and can't control his power, but that's an issue Goku can help with. It's not the same thing. I guess the best that can come from this is Goku taking on more of a mentorship role.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:49 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:20 pm Except the T-Rex is an amoral animal. It has only one instinct - survival. Broly is a good person with free will. He has rage issues and can't control his power, but that's an issue Goku can help with. It's not the same thing. I guess the best that can come from this is Goku taking on more of a mentorship role.
It could absolutely be the same thing if they don't make the tremendous mistake of having Goku mentor Broly to gain control of his power.

Broly has always been popular for his uncontrollable and explosive rage. Going from some timid looking welp to becoming the Hulk of Dragon Ball. Without that he's nothing.

So by that regard he could be exactly like the T-rex. He can snap and lose control to such an extent he'd soon attack Goku as he would Moro, becoming a danger to anyone around him. Might turn out good to have him there or it might be even worse.

There's more they can do with that because it can be different each time. Whereas if he becomes yet another supporting protagonist who can control his power then he'll soon become another Hit.

Kale's character went straight down the drain the second she got control of her power. Anything that made her stand out even a little was out the window once that happened. They'll end up making the same mistake with Broly, just watch.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:02 pm

It would be a mistake because it wouldn't be in character. If he's going to train with Broly, he would help him gain control of his power. It can take time, but if they play that note too many times, it loses its novelty REALLY quickly.
Might turn out good to have him there or it might be even worse.
Thus replaying the movie. The most I can see coming out of this is perhaps they bring him on some mission, and he doesn't turn on them, but his rage issues cost them the mission.
Kale's character went straight down the drain the second she got control of her power. Anything that made her stand out even a little was out the window once that happened. They'll end up making the same mistake with Broly, just watch.
yes, straight down the drain even though she wasn't there much longer, and it gave her a satisfying end to an arc. Yep, that's going right down the drain.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:22 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:02 pmThus replaying the movie.
Which movie? That didn't happen in no movie. Frieza brought Broly to Earth, he fought them, lost and he was sent back. That's not what I'm referring to.

I'm talking about a whole myriad of different things. He could show up to save Goku because he wanted to before defeating Moro and leaving. He could defeat Moro and because he's in such a state would then turn to someone else like Kale did with Magetta in the manga. Goku could teleport to him for help and maybe Broly doesn't want to know. Goku could bring Broly to Earth to defeat Moro but he instead ignores Moro and just attacks Goku.

Could save the day, could ruin the day, could do both or could do nothing.
yes, straight down the drain even though she wasn't there much longer, and it gave her a satisfying end to an arc. Yep, that's going right down the drain.
It was because that character has already been reduced to what you see now in Super Dragon Ball Heroes. She's now just another weak female Super Saiyan who will be used to show how strong another character is.

Her going all female Broly in the ToP even though it was yet another uncreative idea did make the character stand out amongst all the other characters involved. Then she got control of her power and lost the one thing that gave her any worth.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm

It did. Broly throws a hissy fit and Goku and Vegeta have to team up to defeat him, but he's not a bad guy.

I'd much rather they give her a satisfying arc than keep going with the Hulk gimmick. And isn't Heroes just a promotional anime and not really in continuity.
Her going all female Broly in the ToP even though it was yet another uncreative idea did make the character stand out amongst all the other characters involved. Then she got control of her power and lost the one thing that gave her any worth.
But within the context of that story it gives her a satisfying arc. She was allowed to stand out, but it also made her a character and not just a gimmick. It also showed her bond with her friend that she was able to break through. That's worth way more than you give it credit for. And that wasn't even the one thing that gave her any worth. And Kale stands out in the crowd by the VERY simple but unfortunate virtue of being one of a few female fighters, and one of a handful of female Saiyans.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:01 pm

The funny thing about Kale is that the manga didn’t even have a resolution to her not being able to control her powers. I don’t know if that means anything, but some people do seem to consider the manga to be more important than the anime, even though, in the case of Super, the former was made specifically to promote the latter.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:09 am

ABED wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm It did. Broly throws a hissy fit and Goku and Vegeta have to team up to defeat him, but he's not a bad guy.
But I didn't say they'd need to team up to defeat him again... Vegeta doesn't have to be there, could just be Goku so maybe Broly would kick his ass next time. There's a lot they could do with that character.

If they ever have him gain control over his power and become another ally, that character and any potential he could have would be ruined.

For once, there is a chance for them to do something that has not been done before. An opportunity to not have a former antagonist turn protagonist yet again.
I'd much rather they give her a satisfying arc than keep going with the Hulk gimmick. And isn't Heroes just a promotional anime and not really in continuity.
They took one of the few characters that stood out and then completely removed that thing. Without the gimmick that character is nothing. She is now just the less interesting of the female Saiyans.

Without that form, she is a dull and uninteresting character that will never be able to stand on her own. She is always going to be paired off with Caulifla now. You won't see one without the other because them as a pair of female Saiyans is all they have to offer.

Whether Heroes is important or not, it's clear how those characters are gonna be portrayed.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:12 am

I want them to quietly retire Broly. We've already seen 4 movies about this character.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:15 am

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:20 am

If any characters should come back it's the ones from the least interesting films. Look what happened to Bardock. He became a time travelling Super Saiyan who that befriends weird plant people. And that's when he's not going Oozaru to fight Broly.

With one dimensional, dull characters there's no where to go but up
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes