Question about this animation cel

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JFK

Question about this animation cel

Post by JFK » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:32 am

Hello,

I bought this animation cel from a Japanese auction site:

I'm trying to track down the source frame.

The cel appears to be from the scene in Dead Zone where Garlic Jr. and Kami duke it out. But unless I'm mistaken, this exact cel does not appear there. The closest one I can find is this:

But small details such as the position of his irises and the lines across his knuckles don't match up.

Is this an unused cel that was removed from that punching sequence? I mean, where else could it come from?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Question about this animation cel

Post by Vijay » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:42 am

How much did it cost? Just for research purposes...

Guess it's from one of the episodes Garlic duked it out with Piccolo...in Garlic Jr Arc from Z...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:11 am

Could be that it was retaken later.

Alternatively, scrub forward or backward a frame or two on the video. It's possible there are several similar frames and you happened to land on one that isn't exactly the cel you bought.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JFK

Post by JFK » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:45 am

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:11 amCould be that it was retaken later.

Alternatively, scrub forward or backward a frame or two on the video. It's possible there are several similar frames and you happened to land on one that isn't exactly the cel you bought.
I went through each frame of that punching sequence and it does not appear there. Nor does it appear in the Garlic Jr. saga during the flashback of the fight (and Garlic Jr. is in his Super form when he tussles with Piccolo.)

Can you elaborate on, "retaken later"? I'm brand new to animation cel collecting.

My best guess is that they shortened that punching sequence for whatever reason and this cel got left on the cutting room floor. Is that plausible? I may decide to sell it in the future, and want to be able to describe it as clearly as possible.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:41 pm

JFK wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:45 am Can you elaborate on, "retaken later"? I'm brand new to animation cel collecting.
Retakes are when an animation sequence is decided to not quite be good enough, so the cels are re-photographed. Usually, this is done when certain cels aren't good, and need to be replaced with better drawings.
JFK wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:45 am My best guess is that they shortened that punching sequence for whatever reason and this cel got left on the cutting room floor. Is that plausible? I may decide to sell it in the future, and want to be able to describe it as clearly as possible.
Also possible.

It also may be just a fake.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:41 pmIt also may be just a fake.
It's very unlikely that this is a fake because

1) Not a character or a scene worth bothering to create a fake cel.
2) It's far easier to trace a drawing from the animation.
3) The lines are faded, which happens only with carbon-copied lines.

My guess is that this shot was cut short during the editing process, and the first few frames ended up being not shown in the final outcome. So, this cel was actually shot on film, but it was ultimately edited out. This always happens during film editing processes, so for example, in this my uncropped film scan, you can see the bottom of the unused frame from the next shot.

JFK

Post by JFK » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:59 am

@Robo4900 and kei17: Thank you for the information. I guess that's the mystery solved; this cel was left on the cutting room floor, so to speak.

I would have preferred a used cel, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:04 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:41 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:41 pmIt also may be just a fake.
It's very unlikely that this is a fake because

1) Not a character or a scene worth bothering to create a fake cel.
2) It's far easier to trace a drawing from the animation.
3) The lines are faded, which happens only with carbon-copied lines.

My guess is that this shot was cut short during the editing process, and the first few frames ended up being not shown in the final outcome. So, this cel was actually shot on film, but it was ultimately edited out. This always happens during film editing processes, so for example, in this my uncropped film scan, you can see the bottom of the unused frame from the next shot.

About your film scan, how come Goku’s gi is orange there but then it appeared red in the anime when it aired?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:57 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:04 pm
kei17 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:41 pm Image
About your film scan, how come Goku’s gi is orange there but then it appeared red in the anime when it aired?
It's to do with the colour grading of a raw, aged cell. Chi-Chi's clothing has red trim on her belt and bracers but they appear orange in the picture above, same as Goku's gi. We're all fairly used to the overly-saturated look of the Dragon Box sets, which while closer to the animation cells lose a lot of the more muted moods of many scenes.