Better way to digitally preserve Laserdisc and VHS

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Better way to digitally preserve Laserdisc and VHS

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:25 pm

Came across this, and it seems like somthing that would be usefull *video wise* to archive the laserdics, edited VHS' and even the video to the original broadcasts.

Source:forum.videohelp.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNAwMmWLFTs
This method of backing up the actual FM radio signal contained on a VHS tape, to decode using computer software, is currently in Alpha stage.

There's also the option of raw-sampling the composite output of a VCR at what's called 8FSC (8-bit) or 4FSC (10-bit). The latter type of digital sampling was used in professional video production from the late 80s to early 00s; specifically the SMPTE D-2 format created by Ampex/Sony and the competing SMPTE D-3 system by Panasonic.

If you own a computer with PCI slots, you can capture the video signal using this method cheaply and without much difficulty.
  • $11 capture card + install Linux and the hacked drivers + free software onto your computer.
Eventually I will make a video tutorial that I will link in the first post of that VideoHelp thread.

Audio still needs to be captured to a separate sound card (or motherboard audio) at the same time you're playing the raw video signal into the CX2388x card.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Re: Better way to digitally preserve Laserdisc and VHS

Post by 10gigtriforce » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:12 pm

seems neat. Dunno if the extra cost and time of doing this would be worth it compared to my s vhs player and laserdisc with 3d comb filter on the s video port captures. but i certainly like what its trying to do.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:27 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have any computers that support PCI. Are there any half-rack PCI-e alternatives?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:41 pm

For Laserdisc, I know there's also the option of a Domesday Duplicator. I think I know a guy who has one, though I'm not sure if he's had the chance to use it yet.

I hadn't heard of this method of capturing VHS, though. Most interesting. I will watch developments of this with great interest.
I wonder how Hi-Fi audio works with that.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:33 am

I'll send the project info along to people with a better grasp of the subject and see what they say. LD is one thing. VHS/Beta...going to need some help with that I suspect. One guy I know might be interested in a project like that but I've lost track of him. Ah well...

Hmmm...it should be possible to extract the audio directly from an NTSC recorded Beta Hifi signal as that is recorded with the video signal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax#H ... io_upgrade

With VHS Hifi and Pal Beta Hifi, the recording method is different (depth multiplexing). I never really liked that system as it was dependent on having an almost perfect tape. Any problems with the tape and the audio recording is no good. With the Betamax NTSC solution though, even a poor picture would give excellent audio. I have done this with at least one episode of DB where the picture all but fades out because the tape has deteriorated but the audio is still good. If that was done on a VHS Hifi deck, there would be no usable audio...

Unfortunately the project seems to be worked on by a person in Norway and that is PAL land. Would need someone in NTSC land to make an adapter. Hmmm...