Comparing the DragonBall series to the Rocky series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gogeta101

Comparing the DragonBall series to the Rocky series

Post by Gogeta101 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:44 pm

Can anybody compare Dragonball to the Rocky series? I am fans for both and I want to know if anybody can compare the two. I know Apollo Creed could be the Piccolo, and Goku to Rocky Balboa. If necessary, compare Dragonball to the upcoming "Rocky Balboa" ( December 22 in theaters everywhere ).
I am neither Goku nor Vegeta!!
Jump! Friend Code:[b]3479 7919 1171[/b]

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Rocky plug was really unnecessary, and no, I really dont see how you can compare the two.

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:13 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Rocky plug was really unnecessary, and no, I really dont see how you can compare the two.
Talks of Rocky and DragonBall started off as a small joke in some of the intro threads and the chat but you can definately link them together. Even though this is a silly concept, my Rocky fandom won't let me deny this.

[The beginning]

DragonBall
We first meet Goku. We see his friendships at the beginning (Krillin and Bulma), we meet his first formal instructor (Roshi) and he loses the big fight that everybody expects him to win (world tournament).
Rocky (I)
We first meet Rocky. We see his friendships at the beginning (Paulie and Adrian), we meet his first formal instructor (Mickey) and he loses the big fight that everybody expects him to win (superfight).

[The legacy]

DragonBall and some Z
Goku fights again and wins (this time, Piccolo). He marries his wife after a big match (23rd tournament) and has a baby boy that isn't exactly a fighter but he has the potential and is bright like his mother intended (Gohan). Goku relearns his roots after an encounter with a fighter like him (Raditz/Vegeta).After his friend dying, he's left with "If he can't do it, who will" (Piccolo being killed). Later, Goku fights enemies from the past (genetically altered foe Cell, red ribbon).
Rocky (II-IV)
Rocky fights again and wins (this time, Apollo). He marries his wife after a big match (superfight) and has a baby boy that isn't exactly a fighter but he has the potential and is bright like his mother intended (Rocky Jr.). Rocky relearns his roots after an encounter with a fighter like him (Clubber Lang).After his friend dying, he's left with "If he can't do it, who will" (Apollo being killed). Later, Rocky fights enemies from the past (genetically altered foe Drago, USSR).

[The finale]

DragonBall GT
After years of fighting, Goku goes back to his roots (as a child).
Rocky V
After years of fighting, Rocky goes back to his roots (loses money).

Rocky Balboa being AF blah blah... That's all I have for now. Does it make sense?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Gogeta101

Post by Gogeta101 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:22 pm

Awsome. :shock:
I am neither Goku nor Vegeta!!
Jump! Friend Code:[b]3479 7919 1171[/b]

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:24 am

If you like the Rocky & Dragon Ball series, I'd recommend you check out Hajime no Ippo or "Fighting Spirit" as it's known here in the states.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Alucard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Alucard » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:50 am

There's that scene in the Freeza saga, where Freeza punches Goku into the water, and then Goku starts to see all his friends and loved ones (Chichi, Gohan, Kami-sama, Yajirobe, Muten Roshi, and others), and at the end Freeza laughing. After that, Goku gets strength and does a X10 Kaioken on Freeza.

I don't know if it's filler or not, but it sure does have similarities to the Rocky movie.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:41 am

Alucard wrote:There's that scene in the Freeza saga, where Freeza punches Goku into the water, and then Goku starts to see all his friends and loved ones (Chichi, Gohan, Kami-sama, Yajirobe, Muten Roshi, and others), and at the end Freeza laughing. After that, Goku gets strength and does a X10 Kaioken on Freeza.

I don't know if it's filler or not, but it sure does have similarities to the Rocky movie.
To me, that's one of the top 5 best instances of filler in the whole dang series. It actually ENHANCES the situation, mood, etc... of that fight.

Ok, sorry to be OT.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:55 pm

I've long held that nobody has as much heart as Rocky, except for Goku.

Plus, they both do their best fighting shirtless.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:01 pm

The Rocky series always makes me cry, allowing me to release all of the emotion I accumulate. But with Dragonball... not really.

I guess you could compare that punching machine thing (that Ivan Drago uses) with the one that Vegeta EXPLODES before the tournament. :P
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:05 pm

Daimao wrote: Plus, they both do their best fighting shirtless.
Agreed on that one. "Ripped-shirt Goku" >>>>> All

:lol:
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:08 pm

Daimao wrote:I've long held that nobody has as much heart as Rocky, except for Goku.Plus, they both do their best fighting shirtless.
Rocky has his shirt on in the final fight of Rocky V. Hey, was that a subtle Rocky V jab (no pun intended)? :o
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]