Do you still enjoy non-canon Dragon Ball content?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Do you still enjoy non-canon Dragon Ball content?

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:40 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:36 pmMay of Age 779: Pan is born and Freeza is resurrected sometime after this. We'll keep it at this month since it's not clear.
September of 779: Freeza trains for four months and returns to Earth.
Actually, I think it's best to place the beginning of Movie 15 in January, AGE 779. Freeza takes four months to surpass everyone and goes to Earth in July. We know there is a six-month timeskip because Piccolo said so (the Dragon Balls were used six months ago). The other two months left I like to think is the time Freeza took to arrive on Earth.

With the later part of Movie 15 taking place in July, I would place the Champa tournament in August. I like to give characters time to breathe a little (this is where I change in order to cram more stories and timeskips should they appear).

If I place the Champa tournament in August AGE 779, then the Universe Survival saga must take place in August AGE 780 or after that (for the reason you yourself mentioned already).

With Universe Survival saga taking place in August, I would place Moro saga in September AGE 780. And that two-month timeskip during that saga get us to November of that same year.

So you see, we can't even afford to have another two-month timeskip anymore. If we do, I'll have to forget my preference to give characters some time to live their lives and the gap between the sagas would have to be shorter. All in order to cram more unnecessary stories and to avoid the problem with Bulma's line.
Skar wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:36 pmI know it's not too important but just something I was curious about.
Everything about AGES is important (to me at least), it's a way for we (well, me) to keep track of things.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Hasn’t Bulma’s line already been contradicted at this point?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:05 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:40 pmEverything about AGES is important (to me at least), it's a way for we (well, me) to keep track of things.
Why is that important to you?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:05 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:40 pmEverything about AGES is important (to me at least), it's a way for we (well, me) to keep track of things.
No worries. I like keeping track of the timeline for fun since it gives the sense of the passage of time. We're used to it in the original series when it's usually brought up how many years have passed. I wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama forgot about Bulma's line and only remembered she hadn't seen Goku in a few years. I recall Toriyama explaining why he chose this time period and that he made the characters too old in the final chapter even giving Vegeta a mustache. It seems like he forgot he gave Vegeta a mustache in his GT character designs and not in End of Z.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:41 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:01 pm Hasn’t Bulma’s line already been contradicted at this point?
Grimlock wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:54 amBulma says her and her family haven't seen Goku for five years. That establishes they shouldn't have been seeing each other since Future Trunks saga, as is the last saga of AGE 779. But considering we're just one year ahead of that, we can assume Bulma rounded it up, and they actually haven't seen each other for about four years and X months.
ABED wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:05 pmWhy is that important to you?
Because it helps me keep track of things. I like seeing characters aging, so knowing the years gives you a better notion of that process. I'm also a fan of consistency, so of course AGES plays a big part in it. And it's a fun hobby knowing when stuff take place.
Skar wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:05 amI wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama forgot about Bulma's line and only remembered she hadn't seen Goku in a few years.
I know it's possible that he forgot and that Toriyama may be like "despite Bulma said that, the reality is...", but I don't like when this happens just because or frequently. Is there really a need to retcon that line just to cram these stories? Why can't and shouldn't we jump to AGE 784 and then start to tell all the stories you want to tell?

It's good when you respect what characters say, you don't make them look like a fool.
Skar wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:05 amI recall Toriyama explaining why he chose this time period and that he made the characters too old in the final chapter even giving Vegeta a mustache. It seems like he forgot he gave Vegeta a mustache in his GT character designs and not in End of Z.
Yeah, and if he doesn't want an old cast, then we all know what he should be aiming at, don't we?

~ Day of the Machines ~

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:50 pm

I only like to keep track of time travel, even though ages might be included, but they're both important to know how old future Trunks is, because time isn't concurrent between past and future, only in a few instances.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Don’t the Tournament of Power and the Broly movie take place in Age 780? That alone would contradict the idea that Bulma hadn’t seen Goku in five years, wouldn’t it?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:08 pm

You're not actually reading the posts, are you? Again:
Grimlock wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:54 amBulma says her and her family haven't seen Goku for five years. That establishes they shouldn't have been seeing each other since Future Trunks saga, as is the last saga of AGE 779. But considering we're just one year ahead of that, we can assume Bulma rounded it up, and they actually haven't seen each other for about four years and X months.

~ Day of the Machines ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:49 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:08 pm You're not actually reading the posts, are you? Again:
It would have to be more than six months for her claim to still work. I think it’s giving Toriyama too much credit to assume he even remembers that line. It wouldn’t even be the only retcon. If you want to give an in-universe handwave for it, you can just assume Bulma deliberately exaggerates how long it’s been since she saw Goku, just like she lied about her age in BoG.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:41 pmI know it's possible that he forgot and that Toriyama may be like "despite Bulma said that, the reality is...", but I don't like when this happens just because or frequently. Is there really a need to retcon that line just to cram these stories? Why can't and shouldn't we jump to AGE 784 and then start to tell all the stories you want to tell?
I meant that he probably won't address it. We're left to assume that Toriyama either forgot that line or misremembered and thought she just said it's been a while. I prefer consistency when possible but if Toriyama was forgetful while working on the manga then his memory will be even worse 20 years later when he's in his 60's. He made it clear why he didn't want to go past EoZ and seems to have no interest in the next generation. I know a lot of fans hope for that but I feel it's best to let it end and move on.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Of all the things Super has messed up within the continuity, Bulma's 5 years line is where fans are drawing the red line ?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:26 pm

It would be one thing if it was something outlandish like Bulma being killed and never appearing for the events of EoZ, this would be a real issue but, her being off by just some months is just being pedantic.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:49 pmIt would have to be more than six months for her claim to still work.
Only if you really, really... Really want to be very, extremely, terrifically, exceedingly (and many other advebs) precise about it. And for that, we can also have a solution, we just have to assume the tournament takes place in the end of AGE 784. But really, there's no need to be so pedantic about it. We're still four years away, certainly this rounding stuff can be overlooked. After all, it's there to prevent a problem, why would we turn the solution itself into a problem?
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:49 pmIf you want to give an in-universe handwave for it, you can just assume Bulma deliberately exaggerates how long it’s been since she saw Goku, just like she lied about her age in BoG.
Technically we can't because, well, despite what I said that Bulma said they haven't met each other for five years, who actually said that was Goku, Bulma just confirms it. We could do that because we know Goku can get numbers wrong (it has antecedence, though it was shown later on he learned how to count), but because Bulma confirms the date Goku said, it has to be something close to "five years".
Skar wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:01 pmI meant that he probably won't address it. We're left to assume that Toriyama either forgot that line or misremembered and thought she just said it's been a while. I prefer consistency when possible but if Toriyama was forgetful while working on the manga then his memory will be even worse 20 years later when he's in his 60's. He made it clear why he didn't want to go past EoZ and seems to have no interest in the next generation. I know a lot of fans hope for that but I feel it's best to let it end and move on.
Oh, okay. It's just too bad that we're stuck in this time period and they keep coming up with more and more stuff in the middle of this short gap, while approaching the threshold from that line.

~ Day of the Machines ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:16 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:49 pmIt would have to be more than six months for her claim to still work.
Only if you really, really... Really want to be very, extremely, terrifically, exceedingly (and many other advebs) precise about it. And for that, we can also have a solution, we just have to assume the tournament takes place in the end of AGE 784. But really, there's no need to be so pedantic about it. We're still four years away, certainly this rounding stuff can be overlooked. After all, it's there to prevent a problem, why would we turn the solution itself into a problem?
I generally try not to be so precise about dates in fiction, but now that I think about it, wasn’t Pan officially born in Age 779? It’s stated that she’s 4 during the epilogue, so that would have to mean that her birthday is supposed to happen at some point later in that year. Then again, I suppose we could just assume that her birthday is only a couple of days away.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Retconning the timeline would be such a minor change that 99% of the fanbase wouldn't even notice it. If anything, when Super gets to End of Z (it will at one point, because Uub is mentioned in the ToP arc, so clearly the writers haven't forgotten about that) they will need to add a lot more dialogue so that the characters can address the Gods, God ki, Ultra Instinct, etc. Basically all the stuff that was introduced in Super. It would be very unnatural if no one brought up Beerus, Whis, Zeno, Jiren, Broly, basically all the new characters these people have met since the defeat of Majin Buu.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:16 pmOh, okay. It's just too bad that we're stuck in this time period and they keep coming up with more and more stuff in the middle of this short gap, while approaching the threshold from that line.
Who knows it might be ending soon :P. If he feels the characters are too old in EoZ, there's likely a few year timeskip after DBS so they could age. Toriyama may have forgotten the exact number of years but he seems to remembers that Goku hasn't seen Bulma long enough that she would noticeably age since he last saw her.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:03 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:33 pmwasn’t Pan officially born in Age 779? It’s stated that she’s 4 during the epilogue, so that would have to mean that her birthday is supposed to happen at some point later in that year. Then again, I suppose we could just assume that her birthday is only a couple of days away.
That is correct. Pan is stated to be four years old by the time the tournament happens but she was officially born in AGE 779. Like the thing with Bulma's/Goku's line, we have to come up with a tweak (assumption) in order for this to work. And that is precisely what you said, Pan is four but she'll turn five later that same year.

We have to do exactly this for Goku's, Bulma's and Gohan's ages too (let me know if you want details on it).

Of course, these assumptions/tweaks are my own since I care about this and I'm always paying attention to these details. Needless to say, one could ignore this solution and stick to what is true, which then it would mean that there is a contradiction. But I don't see any reason why someone would ignore it, like I said, it's here to solve issues. Then again, once we jump to AGE 781, not even rounding up stuff would solve, so I'll ask again: can we please go to AGE 784 or beyond already!? It's (literally) high time we should move on!
Skar wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:19 pmWho knows it might be ending soon :P. If he feels the characters are too old in EoZ, there's likely a few year timeskip after DBS so they could age. Toriyama may have forgotten the exact number of years but he seems to remembers that Goku hasn't seen Bulma long enough that she would noticeably age since he last saw her.
Hopefully it ends soon, enough is enough! Well, I do remember seeing in some promotional material (for Movie 14 or Movie 15 announcement) that Toriyama read the manga before coming up with these movies. I don't know if he really read it from the beginning to end or just the necessary parts for context, but if the former is the case, if he didn't remember it, now he should... Maybe. Unless he forgot once again.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:11 pm

I am fairly certain that even if Super reaches EoZ, or goes even past it, that relevant female characters like Bulma, Chichi, and 18 won't look as aged as they were at the end of DBZ, and in DBGT.

Same goes who Cheelai who wasn't around before DBS Movie, but still...

Btw, compare how Future Bulma looked in 90s, to how she was in 2010s...

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:57 am

Psajdak wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:11 pmI am fairly certain that even if Super reaches EoZ, or goes even past it, that relevant female characters like Bulma, Chichi, and 18 won't look as aged as they were at the end of DBZ, and in DBGT.
True but they might keep the hairstyles they had in EoZ which I think are more common among older women. The other changes I remember for the older cast were Krillin having grey hair, Mr. Satan balding, and Yajirobe growing a mustache but most of the characters stayed the same.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:19 am

I think it's simple why people care about what's canon and what's not. If a concept is canon then it can be expanded upon in the future and it lends itself to speculation and discussion. If it's not, then discussing it as it pertains to the continuation of a series is pointless as no one cares. It has nothing to do with quality and this doesn't apply to Dragon Ball anyway, since previous non-canon stuff made it in the generally accepted continuation of the series, namely Broly... Heroes is introducing entirely new forms... everything is fair game.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW