Who composed Rock the Dragon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Who composed Rock the Dragon?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:11 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:01 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:59 pm “Ocean dub” sounds much catchier than “the original edited dub”, especially when the former was what fans had already been accustomed to calling it for years.
Agreed, and I think Vollmer meant she was the first Bulma that most people were familiar with.

Besides that's more accurate then "original edited dub" as that's technically not even true since Harmony Gold came before them.
The Harmony Gold dub was also an original edited dub. There can be multiple.

Plus, the Saban dub is the only "original edited dub" of Z, which is what that box set covered. :P
Planetnamek wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:30 pm Ocean dub still makes more sense.
It doesn't. Ocean's only involvement for most of the Saban dub was that they provided the recording studio. We don't call the Westwood Media dub the "Airwaves dub", or the BLT dub the "Dick & Rogers dub", and calling the Saban dub "The Ocean dub" is just as wrong as that. The actual producers of that dub were Funimation and Saban.

One other way to refer to it would be "The original Vancouver dub of DBZ", which is fine, because basically everything (the writing, the acting, the directing) was happening in Vancouver.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:11 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:59 pm “Ocean dub” sounds much catchier than “the original edited dub”, especially when the former was what fans had already been accustomed to calling it for years.
Agreed, and I think Vollmer meant she was the first Bulma that most people were familiar with.

Besides that's more accurate then "original edited dub" as that's technically not even true since Harmony Gold came before them.

Plus, the Saban dub is the only "original edited dub" of Z, which is what that box set covered. :P
It doesn't. Ocean's only involvement for most of the Saban dub was that they provided the recording studio. We don't call the Westwood Media dub the "Airwaves dub", or the BLT dub the "Dick & Rogers dub", and calling the Saban dub "The Ocean dub" is just as wrong as that. The actual producers of that dub were Funimation and Saban.

One other way to refer to it would be "The original Vancouver dub of DBZ", which is fine, because basically everything (the writing, the acting, the directing) was happening in Vancouver.
Well that's what most fans called it, so what'r you gonna do? Calling it the "Vancouver dub" is just going to make the average fan scratch their head in confusion.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:59 pm

At the end of the day it’s Funimation’s dub. They were in charge of production and post-production. They made use of Ocean Group’s recording studios, they hired the Vancouver voice actors. Funimation’s Barry Watson directed the Ocean actors and was in charge of the overall direction the dub took. Funimation hired the writers who continued to write after the cast change (funny enough Terry Klassen and Ward Perry joined the staff after the Texas takeover)

Calling it the Ocean dub is a misnomer. The 1996 dub, the syndicated dub, or the original edited dub are all more accurate than the Ocean dub

Shoot, even calling it the Saban dub, while still super misleading makes more sense since their draconian censorship had a huge impact on the overall product and most of what people remember about it

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Plus, people also refer to the Westwood dub as the "Ocean dub", so it's not like it creates less confusion or anything. I've heard people on Youtube say that the Saban era dub only ever aired in Canada, and that the music was recycled from Mega Man, since in their mind it's the same production, when in reality they are completely separate, and nearly three years removed from each other.

I'll always call it the Saban dub. That's the only DBZ-related thing they were ever involved with, so it's by far the most convenient moniker.
Last edited by Kakacarrottop on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:59 pm At the end of the day it’s Funimation’s dub. They were in charge of production and post-production. They made use of Ocean Group’s recording studios, they hired the Vancouver voice actors. Funimation’s Barry Watson directed the Ocean actors and was in charge of the overall direction the dub took. Funimation hired the writers who continued to write after the cast change (funny enough Terry Klassen and Ward Perry joined the staff after the Texas takeover)

Calling it the Ocean dub is a misnomer. The 1996 dub, the syndicated dub, or the original edited dub are all more accurate than the Ocean dub

Shoot, even calling it the Saban dub, while still super misleading makes more sense since their draconian censorship had a huge impact on the overall product and most of what people remember about it
Of course it's their dub, no one's arguing that, it's just that at this point the nick-name "Ocean Dub" is so associated with that portion of the series that there's really nothing else they could call it on DVD that wouldn't confuse average fans.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:17 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:59 pm At the end of the day it’s Funimation’s dub. They were in charge of production and post-production. They made use of Ocean Group’s recording studios, they hired the Vancouver voice actors. Funimation’s Barry Watson directed the Ocean actors and was in charge of the overall direction the dub took. Funimation hired the writers who continued to write after the cast change (funny enough Terry Klassen and Ward Perry joined the staff after the Texas takeover)

Of course it's their dub, no one's arguing that, it's just that at this point the nick-name "Ocean Dub" is so associated with that portion of the series that there's really nothing else they could call it on DVD that wouldn't confuse average fans.

The original Toonami dub, which is how they advertised it as ( nevermind they’re missing the portion voiced by their local talent and that the dub started on Toonami in 1998 not 1996)

The fact that they left out episodes 54-276 despite “this is what you watched on Toonami” being a major part of the marketing and refer to it as the Ocean dub all point to Funimation trying to distant themselves from this dub.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:28 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:17 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 pm

The original Toonami dub, which is how they advertised it as ( nevermind they’re missing the portion voiced by their local talent and that the dub started on Toonami in 1998 not 1996)

The fact that they left out episodes 54-276 despite “this is what you watched on Toonami” being a major part of the marketing and refer to it as the Ocean dub all point to Funimation trying to distant themselves from this dub.
Not really, because as another user mentioned the liner notes explicitly go into detail about DBZ's syndication broadcast history, if they were trying to distance themselves why include those notes?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Plus, people also refer to the Westwood dub as the "Ocean dub", so it's not like it creates less confusion or anything. I've heard people on Youtube say that the Saban era dub only ever aired in Canada, and that the music was recycled from Mega Man, since in their mind it's the same production, when in reality they are completely separate, and nearly three years removed from each other.

I'll always call it the Saban dub. That's the only DBZ-related thing they were ever involved with, so it's by far the most convenient moniker.
Remember Vortexx and the Android Saga of DBZKai. That was Saban too.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:49 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:

Saban owned Vortexx but they had no direct involvement with the dub. The Kai dub’s edits were based on FCC regulations and the CW network’s BS&P.

As opposed to the 1996-1998 dub where Saban was responsible for getting the show on tv and telling Funimation what they could and couldn’t do.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:54 pm

BASED ON, yes, because those are the rules they followed. Who did the actual edits then? Remember that additional edits were required to have it air on The CW.

I know it was probably 4K Media but its even moer likely that it was Saban.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:54 pm BASED ON, yes, because those are the rules they followed. Who did the actual edits then? Remember that additional edits were required to have it air on The CW.

I know it was probably 4K Media but its even moer likely that it was Saban.
Yes, Saban was demanding the edits despite not even owning the programming block when the dub started airing there

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Look how I said ANDROID saga. They bought the block and the rights to air DBZKai on their block. There was a lead time from the announcement of the sale to Saban to the actual premiere so that edits could be made.

Also,while I am talking to you, the guy I actually responded to didnt have such an airtight statement. Saban was involved in airing DBZ Kai. That much is undeniable.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:37 pm

It was the same type of edits being made before Saban purchased the block: Shenron too scurry for kids to see in the OP, kill and die are no no words, dead bodies breathe air, Popo is feeling blue, halos are controversial etc etc.

DBZ 1996-1998 syndicated dub

Produced by Funimation. Distributed in syndication by Saban. Funimation edited the show to conform to Saban’s standards well before the FCC or any network took a look at it. Saban also put togetber the new theme and score per Funimation’s request to have original music to make royalties off of it

Dragon Ball Z Kai. CW version

Produced by Funimation. Funimation themselves were responsible for getting a deal to air it on Toonzai which eventually became Vortexx. Funimation edited the show to conform to FCC regulations and CW’s BS&P. Nothing about the type of edits made changed from when 4K owned the block to when Saban owned the block. They were answering to the same BS&P

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:17 pm

4kids edited the show when it was on The CW. They took the Nicktoons footage of episodes 1 to 52 and edited them. Funimation lost all experience editing. The Nicktoons edits were by Ocean. They were way more competent at editing than 4kids ever was. That is why the CW edits look so freaking crappy.

EDIT:And Saban either had 4kids edit episodes 53 to the end of Kai 1.0 or they did the edits themselves.

This discussion is already meaningless because I was right. Saban did air DBZ Kai on their block and before you butted in that was my whole argument.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:37 pm Dragon Ball Z Kai. CW version

Produced by Funimation. Funimation themselves were responsible for getting a deal to air it on Toonzai which eventually became Vortexx. Funimation edited the show to conform to FCC regulations and CW’s BS&P. Nothing about the type of edits made changed from when 4K owned the block to when Saban owned the block. They were answering to the same BS&P
Whoever edited the CW version actually edited it based on the already-existing edited version that Ocean produced for their own dub, which Funimation licensed, and put their dub on (with some alternate lines used for those that, according to the FCC, are not TV-safe) for NickToons. The Ocean edit still had racist Popo, still had the dragon, etc., but the CW version, for some reason, was heavily edited, featuring blue Popo and various other changes.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:08 pm

Whoever edited the CW version actually edited it based on the already-existing edited version that Ocean produced for their own dub, which Funimation licensed, and put their dub on (with some alternate lines used for those that, according to the FCC, are not TV-safe) for NickToons. The Ocean edit still had racist Popo, still had the dragon, etc., but the CW version, for some reason, was heavily edited, featuring blue Popo and various other changes.
The Ocean edit=Nicktoons version correct?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:12 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:08 pm

The Ocean edit=Nicktoons version correct?
I did say that, yes.

Ocean made their edit of the show, and sent their edited master to Funimation. Funimation put their voices on it and sent it to NickToons. Popo was still his original racist design here.

An unknown entity then took the NickToons edit and edited it further for airing on theCW, most notably turning Popo blue.

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:49 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:

Saban owned Vortexx but they had no direct involvement with the dub. The Kai dub’s edits were based on FCC regulations and the CW network’s BS&P.

As opposed to the 1996-1998 dub where Saban was responsible for getting the show on tv and telling Funimation what they could and couldn’t do.
I don't think Saban was the one that had standards for their dubs....

I could be anything outside of them (Some tv stations wanting the show to be more sanitized)

Because.... come on, Digimon can show more violence and death on it's dub, than what DBZ got under Saban

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:55 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:32 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:

I could be anything outside of them (Some tv stations wanting the show to be more sanitized)

Because.... come on, Digimon can show more violence and death on it's dub, than what DBZ got under Saban

It was confirmed the heavy duty censorship for DBZ during the Saban days was because of Saban. Digimon was most likely more lax because

1. It aired in 1999/2000 where Saban was relaxing their standards(I seem to remember Power Rangers getting away with on screen child murder and suicide bomber insects the same year?) but in 1996 Mighty Morphin Power Rangers getting banned in some counties and being complained about by media watchdog groups was relatively recent which probably influence Saban being harsher on DBZ)

2. The violence (like 99 percent of it) in Digimon happens to Digimon read; non humans. And Saban didn’t seem to have an issue with that. They let the Saiyans get brutal on the arlians, they show the Saiyans eating the cricket aliens things at whatever planet they just conquered when receiving Raditz transmission, they keep in Gohan’s dinosaur friend having a bloody wound, and later getting eaten by a bigger dinosaur.

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:55 pm
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:32 pm

It was confirmed the heavy duty censorship for DBZ during the Saban days was because of Saban. Digimon was most likely more lax because

1. It aired in 1999/2000 where Saban was relaxing their standards(I seem to remember Power Rangers getting away with on screen child murder and suicide bomber insects the same year?) but in 1996 Mighty Morphin Power Rangers getting banned in some counties and being complained about by media watchdog groups was relatively recent which probably influence Saban being harsher on DBZ)

2. The violence (like 99 percent of it) in Digimon happens to Digimon read; non humans. And Saban didn’t seem to have an issue with that. They let the Saiyans get brutal on the arlians, they show the Saiyans eating the cricket aliens things at whatever planet they just conquered when receiving Raditz transmission, they keep in Gohan’s dinosaur friend having a bloody wound, and later getting eaten by a bigger dinosaur.
I... kinda get it... but it doesn't really make sense why they allowed the first 3 episodes run uncut with their standards (Death, Kill, etc)

I'm sure something must have happened to make their standards more strict

But at the same time, the explanation kinda makes sense