Which character and/or plotline in the franchise is the biggest waste of potential?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Which character and/or plotline in the franchise is the biggest waste of potential?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:55 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:28 pmWhy? Just why?
The simple fact of the matter is that modern Dragon Ball already set a precedent when it brought back Freeza and introduced a new version of Broly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Which character and/or plotline in the franchise is the biggest waste of potential?

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:19 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:55 pm
The simple fact of the matter is that modern Dragon Ball already set a precedent when it brought back Freeza and introduced a new version of Broly.
So you're fine with them doubling and tripling down on awful ideas?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:27 pm

I dislike villains returning, especially if they get redeemed or neutered like Frieza (what even is his purpose now? He's fodder, he needs to control Broly just to stand a chance). In the past I was an advocate to bring Zamasu back simply because he's my favourite character, but now I have found new appreciation for these "one-arc" villains like Zamasu and Cell. It makes them more unique, I guess, since they don't have too much screentime. In comparison I can't take Frieza seriously anymore, not after he was brought back 2 times (3 if you want to count Mecha Frieza).

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:53 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:19 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:55 pm
So you're fine with them doubling and tripling down on awful ideas?
I can’t say I’m really “fine” with anything modern Dragon Ball does. I’d actually be more fine if it could just end. I simply think that, if nothing else, there could maybe be some mild potential in bringing over a character like Cooler into the series.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:54 pm

I just can't see it adding anything other than a nostalgia fix.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:11 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:54 pm I just can't see it adding anything other than a nostalgia fix.
It would definitely be a nostalgia fix, but it would at least make a certain degree of sense in the story, since Freeza is now a recurring character (which I’m not crazy about).

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:21 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:55 pmThe simple fact of the matter is that modern Dragon Ball already set a precedent when it brought back Freeza and introduced a new version of Broly.
Toriyama talked about Broly's popularity as one of the reasons why he agreed to use him so he might not consider rebooting other less popular villains. What kind of story would Cooler have? RoF and DBS: Broly were relatively simple and mostly focused on fan service so I would expect the same for any other returning villain to be honest.

Broly was also easier to incorporate since he was banished to a far away planet and only surpassed Goku and Vegeta as he was fighting them. They might have to change Cooler's backstory to make him fit better. His original movie took place shortly after Freeza and King Cold came to Earth so they might have to come up with a different reason why this Cooler showed up decades after his family members were killed.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:28 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:21 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:55 pmThe simple fact of the matter is that modern Dragon Ball already set a precedent when it brought back Freeza and introduced a new version of Broly.
Toriyama talked about Broly's popularity as one of the reasons why he agreed to use him so he might not consider rebooting other less popular villains. What kind of story would Cooler have? RoF and DBS: Broly were relatively simple and mostly focused on fan service so I would expect the same for any other returning villain to be honest.

Broly was also easier to incorporate since he was banished to a far away planet and only surpassed Goku and Vegeta as he was fighting them. They might have to change Cooler's backstory to make him fit better. His original movie took place shortly after Freeza and King Cold came to Earth so they might have to come up with a different reason why this Cooler showed up decades after his family members were killed.
I suggested this in another thread on the Super board, but basically, they could establish that King Cold exiled Cooler for being weak. Maybe they could establish that he and Freeza had a duel to determine who would inherit their father’s empire, which Cooler would’ve easily lost, and that he had been spending all that time training in different universes in order to become as powerful as possible.

In terms of the catalyst for the conflict, they could have him show up to try and kill Freeza and take control of his empire, and Freeza would then be forced to seek help from Goku. Maybe his Armored Squadron could also show up?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:15 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:21 pm They might have to change Cooler's backstory to make him fit better. His original movie took place shortly after Freeza and King Cold came to Earth so they might have to come up with a different reason why this Cooler showed up decades after his family members were killed.
Coola came to Earth after Goku had defeated Freeza on Namek. Freeza returning with Cold was later on.

I think a long lost Coola who has been operating in the shadows might be something that could work. Maybe he's been secretly building his own empire over the years and is ready to come forward. They could also have him already surpassing the Golden form into something else entirely. Maybe make it a new kind of metal to tie in with the Metal Coola stuff.

That or an amnesiac Coola who resurfaces etc etc.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:10 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:28 pmI suggested this in another thread on the Super board, but basically, they could establish that King Cold exiled Cooler for being weak. Maybe they could establish that he and Freeza had a duel to determine who would inherit their father’s empire, which Cooler would’ve easily lost, and that he had been spending all that time training in different universes in order to become as powerful as possible.
That could have potential but would Toriyama really change that much about Cooler if he wanted to reboot him? He gave Broly a new personality but kept the same basic backstory and what he was most known for which is becoming a raging monster in his highest form.

Broly was also one of the few movie villains who hasn't inspired by an existing manga villain. I think the main difference between Freeza and Cooler was that Cooler trained to control his original form and transformation further which has been given to Freeza in RoF. Toriyama may not feel there are enough differences to warrant a reboot especially after creating Frost who barely differed from Freeza.

Mike XL

Post by Mike XL » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:52 pm

Piccolo and Tenshinhan. Piccolo should have never, ever been relegated to the sidelines, and Tenshinhan should have been more useful than he ultimately wound up being. He had the Shin Kikoho moment in the Cell arc, but he didn't do a ton else. And my goodness did they ruin him in Super.

I also think the retelling of the ROF arc in Super could have been done way better. They should have brought back Zarbon and Dodoria as well, had them all train maybe in some sort of room resembling the Room of Spirit and Time, or maybe even gravity training, and had a full scale legitimate, believable invasion where everyone could have been in on the action.

xm0c

Post by xm0c » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:25 pm

I'm gonna go with Frost. I will never understand the reasoning behind making him evil. As a hero, he could have provided a unique aspect of being the first good member of Freeza's race. Hell, he could have been used to give any insight into Freeza's race, at least a name given they've promoted it as a main race in Heroes and Xenoverse. It would have made fighting Universe 6 in the Tournament of Power that much harder knowing all the members were good people.

As a villain, he's just a less experienced version of Freeza. I understand the cathartic need to see Vegeta beat up someone like Freeza, but that could and should have been done in the prior arc, when Freeza was actually around. In fact, I think having Vegeta take his anger towards Freeza out on an innocent Frost would have been more interesting.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:09 am

Mike XL wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:52 pm Piccolo and Tenshinhan. Piccolo should have never, ever been relegated to the sidelines, and Tenshinhan should have been more useful than he ultimately wound up being. He had the Shin Kikoho moment in the Cell arc, but he didn't do a ton else. And my goodness did they ruin him in Super.

I also think the retelling of the ROF arc in Super could have been done way better. They should have brought back Zarbon and Dodoria as well, had them all train maybe in some sort of room resembling the Room of Spirit and Time, or maybe even gravity training, and had a full scale legitimate, believable invasion where everyone could have been in on the action.
I didn't choose Piccolo simply because I feel he had his share of spotlight moments, but I definitely agree (seeing as he is my favorite character, after all). As some who was once the main rival of Son Goku and even who managed to surpass him at points, he should still be a contender and perhaps even gotten the W against a main villain by now. It's still not out of the question to give Piccolo his own Garlic Jr.-type foe. And while Tien wasn't my pick either, I do agree that as of late he's gotten the shaft. The humans in general, especially when you considered they traveled Snake Way faster than Goku but for some reason weren't able to master Kaioken (due to a conscious shift to focus on the Sayans).

I loved Zarbon and Dodoria (especially Zarbon), and can't believe I didn't think of them. A big part of what drew me to Frieza was that he had these underlings flanking him who were powerful in their own right and very visually interesting/unique from one another. Zarbon in particular was the first character to my knowledge to transform at will WITHOUT the aid of something like the moon (so this doesn't count Vegeta turning into an ape), at least as far as I can recall as I'm currently on the Namek arc in the manga. And his beatdown of Vegeta in his transformed Hulk mode was brutal and badass. Definitely wish we had gotten more of him; I definitely feel like he could have gotten more powerful with training (like Frieza in ROF) and could have been a cunning villain in his own right.

The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:27 pm

Goten, nobody loves Goten :(