If another US Live Action Movie was made, would you want a remake, or a reboot?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: If another US Live Action Movie was made, would you want a remake, or a reboot?

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:40 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:10 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:32 pm It wasn't changes to the original plot and characterization that killed Evolution, it was poor writing and directing. Goku and Chichi being high school lovers wasn't the problem.

Had the production not been rushed and the people involved stepped up their efforts, Evolution could have been successful.

If any kind of live action Dragon Ball were to be made, it would probably work better as a television series on a streaming platform. There would be less pressure to make it into a family-friendly product, as well as more freedom to do weirder and less conventional things with the material.
Was it really unsuccessful? Evolution barely missed making twice its budget back at cinemas, and grossed another $8 million on home video.
It was a total flop domestically and primarily got a boost from curious Asian countries.

And then Resurrection F poured more salt in the wound by making 1 million short of its domestic gross on only a ten-day, limited release and a couple of weeks of promotion.

Not to mention, Fox hoped Evolution was going to launch a franchise. The horrible reception and bad domestic gross killed any foundation for such a thing, regardless of passable international returns. In that regard, it was a total failure.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: If another US Live Action Movie was made, would you want a remake, or a reboot?

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:30 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:10 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:32 pm It wasn't changes to the original plot and characterization that killed Evolution, it was poor writing and directing. Goku and Chichi being high school lovers wasn't the problem.

Had the production not been rushed and the people involved stepped up their efforts, Evolution could have been successful.

If any kind of live action Dragon Ball were to be made, it would probably work better as a television series on a streaming platform. There would be less pressure to make it into a family-friendly product, as well as more freedom to do weirder and less conventional things with the material.
Was it really unsuccessful? Evolution barely missed making twice its budget back at cinemas, and grossed another $8 million on home video.
I mostly meant critically unsuccessful, not necessarily commercially unsuccessful. However, I had thought it was a box office bomb.

Either way, the point is that with a moderate amount of more effort put into the development and production, Evolution could have found enough success to get a sequel. Regardless of all of the changes to the source material.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:58 am

Those are some fair assassments. Every film is different but making double your budget is usually considered the minmum qualifcation as sucesss. That said might be differnt for a film that made most of its gross overseas.

I was definitely the only one in the thatre when I saw it.

Kind of surprised they were able to get popular JPOP star Ayumi Hamasaki to make a song for it.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:21 am

Kid Buu wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:58 amKind of surprised they were able to get popular JPOP star Ayumi Hamasaki to make a song for it.
I was surprised they bothered. Not saying she isn't talented, quite the opposite, but she always struck me as stylistically mismatched for a Dragon Ball movie, and I felt the same was true of her song for the film.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:18 pm

DBE was definitely not a success. It didn’t even crack $10 million at the domestic box office. Fox seemed more than happy to just forget about it.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:41 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:21 am
Kid Buu wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:58 amKind of surprised they were able to get popular JPOP star Ayumi Hamasaki to make a song for it.
I was surprised they bothered. Not saying she isn't talented, quite the opposite, but she always struck me as stylistically mismatched for a Dragon Ball movie, and I felt the same was true of her song for the film.
Yeah it kind of was a surprise that they got a big JPOP star for it. Though I heard even back then her career was kind of on decline.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RurrlockGodOfPower

Post by RurrlockGodOfPower » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:51 pm

I used to be very against the idea of another US Live Action movie based on Dragonball. I felt like it was a story that just wouldn't translate well into a film, but over the years, I've not only warmed up to the idea, but I feel that it has the potential to really be something great. If you get a cast and crew that really brings out the adventurous spirit of the story, and find the right balance between action and comedy, I think it can work really well.

For me, I think the way it could be structure is with the first film taking inspiration from the Pilaf and Red Ribbon Army Sagas (focusing a bit more on the latter), the second film could be about the World Martial Arts Tournament (focusing on Tien and the rivalry between the Turtle Hermit and Crane schools. A fantasy-epic version of Karate Kid), and the third film being about Piccolo. From there, it can have a film focused on each of the DBZ sagas, rounding the film series off nicely and fittingly to 7 films.

The way I see it, a film is going to happen at some point, whether in five or ten years. If it is, I have a feeling that the filmmakers may put more effort into getting this right so that they don't have another DBE situation.

So yeah, I would be cautiously optimistic for a live-action Dragonball film series. I even spent a weekend making a concept trailer to give a better idea of what a film could be like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aVfFMldEzQ
One more story is another adventure to discuss with friends. :)

Concept trailer that I made for a live-action Dragonball film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aVfFMldEzQ

My original stories: https://www.wattpad.com/user/Thomas-LF

My Fanfiction stories: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2272593/Ru ... d-of-Power

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:59 pm

RurrlockGodOfPower wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:51 pm I used to be very against the idea of another US Live Action movie based on Dragonball. I felt like it was a story that just wouldn't translate well into a film, but over the years, I've not only warmed up to the idea, but I feel that it has the potential to really be something great. If you get a cast and crew that really brings out the adventurous spirit of the story, and find the right balance between action and comedy, I think it can work really well.

For me, I think the way it could be structure is with the first film taking inspiration from the Pilaf and Red Ribbon Army Sagas (focusing a bit more on the latter), the second film could be about the World Martial Arts Tournament (focusing on Tien and the rivalry between the Turtle Hermit and Crane schools. A fantasy-epic version of Karate Kid), and the third film being about Piccolo. From there, it can have a film focused on each of the DBZ sagas, rounding the film series off nicely and fittingly to 7 films.

The way I see it, a film is going to happen at some point, whether in five or ten years. If it is, I have a feeling that the filmmakers may put more effort into getting this right so that they don't have another DBE situation.

So yeah, I would be cautiously optimistic for a live-action Dragonball film series. I even spent a weekend making a concept trailer to give a better idea of what a film could be like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aVfFMldEzQ
By that point, a show on Netflix or some other streaming service would be much more likely. At the very least, I don’t think movie theaters are going to survive for much longer.

RurrlockGodOfPower

Post by RurrlockGodOfPower » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:34 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:59 pm
RurrlockGodOfPower wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:51 pm I used to be very against the idea of another US Live Action movie based on Dragonball. I felt like it was a story that just wouldn't translate well into a film, but over the years, I've not only warmed up to the idea, but I feel that it has the potential to really be something great. If you get a cast and crew that really brings out the adventurous spirit of the story, and find the right balance between action and comedy, I think it can work really well.

By that point, a show on Netflix or some other streaming service would be much more likely. At the very least, I don’t think movie theaters are going to survive for much longer.
That is a good point. As much as Dragonball would work well on the big screen, who knows what's going to happen to cinemas by that point? A show might actually work better telling the story so they won't have to rush anything or worry about cutting too much out. There would be more time to flesh out the world and characters and really grasp that sense of adventure.

Concept trailer that I made for a live-action Dragonball film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aVfFMldEzQ

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:40 pm

I think OG DB should be off limits. This goes against what a lot of people say, but Americans don't "understand" DB like they do DBZ. In the sense that a large segment Americans of a certain generation have absorbed Funimation's Dragon Ball Z into their psyches or whatever. Whereas with OG DB, Evolution was kinda tolerated because Piccolo Daimao was much much less a childhood cultural phenomenon as "Frieza" and Cell. If they did a live action movie, they would have to pick a whole arc. And since the Saiyan Arc is the shortest, that would be the necessary choice.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:26 pm

Zestanor wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:40 pm I think OG DB should be off limits. This goes against what a lot of people say, but Americans don't "understand" DB like they do DBZ. In the sense that a large segment Americans of a certain generation have absorbed Funimation's Dragon Ball Z into their psyches or whatever. Whereas with OG DB, Evolution was kinda tolerated because Piccolo Daimao was much much less a childhood cultural phenomenon as "Frieza" and Cell. If they did a live action movie, they would have to pick a whole arc. And since the Saiyan Arc is the shortest, that would be the necessary choice.
Evolution wasn't tolerated in even the mildest sense of the word.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:48 am

If another film does get made I hope Edgar Wright adapts it. He did an amazing job directing Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

RurrlockGodOfPower

Post by RurrlockGodOfPower » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:40 am

Kid Buu wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:48 am If another film does get made I hope Edgar Wright adapts it. He did an amazing job directing Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.
Edgar Wright would be an awesome choice. I also think Taika Waititi could do a good job. He strikes me as someone who would get the action and comedy. If I wanted to go a bit more out-there with a choice, I'd also consider S. S. Rajamouli. He's a director who's done a few Indian blockbusters and his films have an over-the-top fantastical action feel to them that I think would work well with Dragonball.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:50 pm

I've seen What We Do in the Shadows? and The Hunter for Wildernerss and think Taika Waitit could do humour parts really well. Likewise Dragon Ball action done in Baahubali style could be fun too.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:23 pm

It would need to be redone from scratch and pretend Evolution never happened. Also half of the cast would need to be CG, or at least part CG for it to work IMO. If I were doing it I'd make kid Goku, Roshi, Chiaotzu, Oolong, Pilaf, and Shu full CG, Bulma, Mai, Tien, and Yamcha could be actors, Piccolo and Ox King would be a mix of CG and live actor.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Honestly I would not be totally opposed to the idea. All I would ask is for a crew / director who is well-versed in DB, actually cares about doing the source material proper justice, and wouldn't take the project just for a chance at a quick paycheck.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:38 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:23 pm It would need to be redone from scratch and pretend Evolution never happened. Also half of the cast would need to be CG, or at least part CG for it to work IMO. If I were doing it I'd make kid Goku, Roshi, Chiaotzu, Oolong, Pilaf, and Shu full CG, Bulma, Mai, Tien, and Yamcha could be actors, Piccolo and Ox King would be a mix of CG and live actor.
Negro, WHAT?!
Cold World (Fanfic)

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:50 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:38 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:23 pm It would need to be redone from scratch and pretend Evolution never happened. Also half of the cast would need to be CG, or at least part CG for it to work IMO. If I were doing it I'd make kid Goku, Roshi, Chiaotzu, Oolong, Pilaf, and Shu full CG, Bulma, Mai, Tien, and Yamcha could be actors, Piccolo and Ox King would be a mix of CG and live actor.
Negro, WHAT?!
😂
I just don't feel like those characters would translate well to live action, so I'd make them CG. Dragon Ball has a very cartoonish quality to it, and making all of it live action just wouldn't feel like Dragon Ball to me.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:36 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:50 am
Negro, WHAT?!
😂
I just don't feel like those characters would translate well to live action, so I'd make them CG. Dragon Ball has a very cartoonish quality to it, and making all of it live action just wouldn't feel like Dragon Ball to me.
I could understand Pilaf, Shu, and MAYBE Chiaotzu...but there is absolutely no need to make Goku and Roshi CG. None whatsoever. At most, CG hulked up Roshi for his Kamehameha but otherwise...why spend money rendering an old chinese man with a beard and shades? And Goku? Find a short Jackie Chan looking kid, grease up his hair and plop a tail on him. CG for two perfectly human looking characters is a ginormous waste of money and defeats the purpose of live action.
Cold World (Fanfic)

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:48 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:36 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:50 am
Negro, WHAT?!
😂
I could understand Pilaf, Shu, and MAYBE Chiaotzu...but there is absolutely no need to make Goku and Roshi CG. None whatsoever. At most, CG hulked up Roshi for his Kamehameha but otherwise...why spend money rendering an old chinese man with a beard and shades? And Goku? Find a short Jackie Chan looking kid, grease up his hair and plop a tail on him. CG for two perfectly human looking characters is a ginormous waste of money and defeats the purpose of live action.
A kid with messy hair just wouldn't feel like Goku to me. I would want the movie to have a very animated feel to it, so half of it would need to be CG, and I'd make the animals and dinosaurs look like 3D versions of Toriyamas art instead of realistic. An actor could do Roshi, but if I'm doing half CG anyway and I had to pick a human character to be a 3D version of their manga counterpart, it would be Roshi.