Dragonball GT DVD singles titles

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Dragonball GT DVD singles titles

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:08 am

Howdy doody Kanzenshuu'ers! I recently got all of the original Dragonball GT DVD singles by Funimation from a good friend of mine and noticed something I never paid attention too in the past. What was Funimation thinking with having TION at the end of all the singles titles? Their ''Lost'' episodes DVDs were Reaction. Rejection. Ruination. Conviction. Activation. And their other DVDs were Affliction. Incubation. Creation. Proliferation. Ramifications. Preparation. Annihilation. Salvation. Calculations. Evolution. Revolution. Realization. And a random Conversion lol and the final one, back to tion, Generations lol why so many ''tion's'' then give us 1 ''ion''? Lol I'm not hating on Funimation I actually really love a lot of the dub voice actors, but I just don't understand what made them do that? What's ya'lls thoughts? :P And it's been a long time since I heard that Grant tour rap I'm just like..Oh lord. Lol here we go lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragonball GT DVD singles titles

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:23 am

Mortal Kombat Annihilation.....Nuff said B)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:11 am

They probably wanted GT to come off as edgier and more serious than it was.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:42 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:11 am They probably wanted GT to come off as edgier and more serious than it was.
They definitely did.

I don't think Funi had any faith in GT at all, so they tried to market it as this serious, dark, edgy take on Dragon Ball, and basically rewrote the scripts as necessary, and skipped the first 16 episodes to accomplish this.
GT is already not a great series (not a bad one IMO, but not great either), but Funi's approach did it no favours; IMO they made an already mediocre series unbearably bad.
I'm very glad Funi has changed so much as a company since GT. It really was their lowest point.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:28 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:42 am
Matches Malone wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:11 am They probably wanted GT to come off as edgier and more serious than it was.
They definitely did.

I don't think Funi had any faith in GT at all, so they tried to market it as this serious, dark, edgy take on Dragon Ball, and basically rewrote the scripts as necessary, and skipped the first 16 episodes to accomplish this.
GT is already not a great series (not a bad one IMO, but not great either), but Funi's approach did it no favours; IMO they made an already mediocre series unbearably bad.
I'm very glad Funi has changed so much as a company since GT. It really was their lowest point.
The biggest issue I have is that while trying to "improve" it, they ended up making it worse, such as creating new plot holes like Dende asking for the first aid kit to heal Goku and Uub.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:28 pm

The Japanese version is indeed a flawed but not terrible show, but FUNi's GT dub OTOH tried so hard to be this "ZOMG HARDCORE AWESOMENESS!!!!!!" product and everything from the replacement score to the marketing centered around that god awful rap theme song and skipping the first arc until later with making a dub only recap reflected their mindset in spades. FUNi circa 2002/2003 was by far the worst state in terms of their treatment of the franchise when suits like Barry Watson and Dan Cocanhauger were still making those types of localization decisions. I think the "-ion" naming scheme on the singles went along with that as well, though the thing i really like most about them is they give you a better presentation of the Japanese version (credits, original logo, NEP's.etc) than the season sets owing to the masters they received from Toei which were pre Dragon Box scans compression and artifacting on the discs aside, although it lacks the dub with Tokunaga score track though that's no big loss to me personally because the dub itself still sucks even with the original music included as the former does and those pretty decent translations of Dan Dan and the four closing song animations.

The difference between FUNi then and the last decade or so is night and day.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:08 pm

They definitely did.

It did make the series a ratings success though, ironically the U.S. was one of the few places where GT was an actual hit. I always thought that show was underrated in both formats.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Did the GT dub ever get changed in any later release? Besides getting the Japanese music over the awful dub track, did they ever replace the narrator or anything else?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:51 pm

precita wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:14 pm Did the GT dub ever get changed in any later release? Besides getting the Japanese music over the awful dub track, did they ever replace the narrator or anything else?
I don't believe there were changes other than the music to the dub itself.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:14 pm

They definitely did.

Friendly reminder that this was allowed to exist in our timeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR46WbmYFyQ
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:12 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:51 pm
precita wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:14 pm Did the GT dub ever get changed in any later release? Besides getting the Japanese music over the awful dub track, did they ever replace the narrator or anything else?
I could be wrong, but I heard that the remastered GT dub was mostly the same as the original uncut dub... but some instances of "Mr. Satan" were reverted to "Hercule".
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:12 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:51 pm
I could be wrong, but I heard that the remastered GT dub was mostly the same as the original uncut dub... but some instances of "Mr. Satan" were reverted to "Hercule".
Yes, i think that was really the main difference between the two.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:10 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:08 am Howdy doody Kanzenshuu'ers! I recently got all of the original Dragonball GT DVD singles by Funimation from a good friend of mine and noticed something I never paid attention too in the past. What was Funimation thinking with having TION at the end of all the singles titles? Their ''Lost'' episodes DVDs were Reaction. Rejection. Ruination. Conviction. Activation. And their other DVDs were Affliction. Incubation. Creation. Proliferation. Ramifications. Preparation. Annihilation. Salvation. Calculations. Evolution. Revolution. Realization. And a random Conversion lol and the final one, back to tion, Generations lol why so many ''tion's'' then give us 1 ''ion''? Lol I'm not hating on Funimation I actually really love a lot of the dub voice actors, but I just don't understand what made them do that? What's ya'lls thoughts? :P And it's been a long time since I heard that Grant tour rap I'm just like..Oh lord. Lol here we go lol
They compiled these singles into a box-set called: Dragon Ball GT Constipation.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:13 pm

DBZimran wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:10 pmThey compiled these singles into a box-set called: Dragon Ball GT Constipation.
There's no way this wasn't mentioned by someone in the office while trying to come up with those names. :lol: