I've got the Dragon Ball Fever.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boured

I've got the Dragon Ball Fever.

Post by Boured » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:12 am

When I was a kid in the early 2000's, I was quite into DBZ, but never actually saw much of the show. Most my family got was VHS's (Still own a fair few of them, unfortunately all edited varients), 2 DBZ movies, one being The Worlds Strongest Pioneer release and the other being an edited release of Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan (Lost that unfortunately), and Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 for the PS2 which to this day is one of my favorite games.

Though recently it seems the Dragon Ball fever still exists long after Toonami as I got a very bad case of it. Recently got all of OG dragon ball, mostly the Saga Sets, and it is very entertaining, and have watched up till the end of the Tournament Saga. Which I cannot stress enough, the japanese audio version of Jackie Chun and Goku got my blood pumping.

Gonna need to suffer finding the Dragon Boxes cause I need the original aspect, though if it stays this entertaining, I'm down going through a eBay hunt.

But yeah, just stoked to go deeper into one of the animes that influenced me, seeing the stuff I missed.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
"If you'll let me, I'll never leave you."

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Re: I've got the Dragon Ball Fever.

Post by Vorige Waffe » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:59 am

Boured wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:12 am Gonna need to suffer finding the Dragon Boxes cause I need the original aspect, though if it stays this entertaining, I'm down going through a eBay hunt.
You best have some deep pockets then. Even if you find all of them, you're basically going to pay the amount they cost when they came out in Japan at this point. Honestly, as mediocre as they are, I'd say wait for the new steel books. It's based on their 30th Anniversary remaster, but at least they're 4:3. There's also the original singles, but even some of those are starting to fetch high prices. They also look terrible.

If you're going to go down this rabbit hole, get ready to be dissatisfied with this franchise being bereft of any consistent quality home release.

Boured

Post by Boured » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:40 pm

Vorige Waffe wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:59 am
Boured wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:12 am Gonna need to suffer finding the Dragon Boxes cause I need the original aspect, though if it stays this entertaining, I'm down going through a eBay hunt.
You best have some deep pockets then. Even if you find all of them, you're basically going to pay the amount they cost when they came out in Japan at this point. Honestly, as mediocre as they are, I'd say wait for the new steel books. It's based on their 30th Anniversary remaster, but at least they're 4:3. There's also the original singles, but even some of those are starting to fetch high prices. They also look terrible.

If you're going to go down this rabbit hole, get ready to be dissatisfied with this franchise being bereft of any consistent quality home release.
Oh I have done research, have had to after the DB saga sets. Honestly the steelbooks are looking a bit nice for me. Do wanna own them boxes at some point though as I'm quite the one for video quality.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:14 pm

Boured wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:40 pm

Oh I have done research, have had to after the DB saga sets. Honestly the steelbooks are looking a bit nice for me. Do wanna own them boxes at some point though as I'm quite the one for video quality.
The Dragon Boxes are possible to find in the wild for ok-ish prices if you know where you look, i managed to snag most of them for pretty decent deals between $50 to $80 at the low end aside from Vol. 1 which came from a movie store in my area (now since closed) for a dirt cheap $25. The most i've had to spend on any singe one was $250 on Vol. 4 and that is actually a bargain compared to what most listings go for on eBay, and for me personally that was a better option in getting them separately than unloading a grand or more on a full set.

It took me four years to get them all, though i feel the effort was worth it for being the best quality release that FUNi has released.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Boured

Post by Boured » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:45 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:14 pm

The Dragon Boxes are possible to find in the wild for ok-ish prices if you know where you look, i managed to snag most of them for pretty decent deals between $50 to $80 at the low end aside from Vol. 1 which came from a movie store in my area (now since closed) for a dirt cheap $25. The most i've had to spend on any singe one was $250 on Vol. 4 and that is actually a bargain compared to what most listings go for on eBay, and for me personally that was a better option in getting them separately than unloading a grand or more on a full set.

It took me four years to get them all, though i feel the effort was worth it for being the best quality release that FUNi has released.
Yeah, however nowadays most pawn shops that would carry these look up ebay and other sites for prices, its very unlikely ill get one for that low. Ill keep an eye out, however eBay might be the best place to find them provided id have to be rather lucky. Was planning to get them one at a time like I did OG Dragon Ball.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:10 pm

Boured wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:45 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:14 pm

Yeah, however nowadays most pawn shops that would carry these look up ebay and other sites for prices, its very unlikely ill get one for that low. Ill keep an eye out, however eBay might be the best place to find them provided id have to be rather lucky. Was planning to get them one at a time like I did OG Dragon Ball.
Yes, i definitely got real lucky with my Dragon Boxes in finding them for those prices. Just jumped on deals whenever i could even though getting them all one at a time took longer than just going for an entire set in one go would've been. Still, didn't really break the bank too much although the auction i won for Dragon Box Vol. 4 was by far the highest of them (though $250 is indeed pretty good considering) due to that being the hardest and most elusive out of the seven volumes to get for good deals along with Box 2.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:16 pm

Similar case with me, I enjoyed the show as a kid and watched whenever I could(which was whenever I visited my grandmothers house with my mom once a week since she had cable and we didn't as it wasn't offered in our area and my parents didn't want to pay for satellite) but for whatever reason I never rented any of the video releases from my library(even though I did that all the time with Sailor Moon) but now as an adult i've been catching up. No way am I ever buying the really expensive stuff (Dragon Boxes, 30th Anniversary sets, Rock the Dragon box set, Kai Blu-Rays, etc) but i'm fine with collecting all the singles and movies.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Boured

Post by Boured » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:52 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:16 pm Similar case with me, I enjoyed the show as a kid and watched whenever I could(which was whenever I visited my grandmothers house with my mom once a week since she had cable and we didn't as it wasn't offered in our area and my parents didn't want to pay for satellite) but for whatever reason I never rented any of the video releases from my library(even though I did that all the time with Sailor Moon) but now as an adult i've been catching up. No way am I ever buying the really expensive stuff (Dragon Boxes, 30th Anniversary sets, Rock the Dragon box set, Kai Blu-Rays, etc) but i'm fine with collecting all the singles and movies.
I'm a videophile by trade, i come from the retro gaming sphere with things like Component and SCART (Look it up). So I'm willing to pay a lot for the best possible quality, especially cause I still only own a DVD player in the form of a PS2, and I'm not getting the Orange Bricks.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:21 pm

Boured wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:52 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:16 pm Similar case with me, I enjoyed the show as a kid and watched whenever I could(which was whenever I visited my grandmothers house with my mom once a week since she had cable and we didn't as it wasn't offered in our area and my parents didn't want to pay for satellite) but for whatever reason I never rented any of the video releases from my library(even though I did that all the time with Sailor Moon) but now as an adult i've been catching up. No way am I ever buying the really expensive stuff (Dragon Boxes, 30th Anniversary sets, Rock the Dragon box set, Kai Blu-Rays, etc) but i'm fine with collecting all the singles and movies.
I'm a videophile by trade, i come from the retro gaming sphere with things like Component and SCART (Look it up). So I'm willing to pay a lot for the best possible quality, especially cause I still only own a DVD player in the form of a PS2, and I'm not getting the Orange Bricks.
I knew going in that the Dragon Boxes would be tricky to get separately, it was a matter of waiting and looking around for whatever deals were out there. Buying them all piecemeal did take much longer than a full set would have though in the end was definitely less expensive collectively. With all of the ones i'd came across in the course of the last over four years, it proved to be the better way to acquire them without having to drop a butt load of cash and even though some of the sets were not in perfect condition or complete (mostly Vol. 2 and 7 missing the boxes themselves and Dragon Books though I overlooked those things) can't really nitpick too much because those prices were absolute steals of bargains particularly the $250 i got Box 4 for.

Keep looking around, you just might find some decent sales or auctions like i did.