Your personal misconceptions?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Your personal misconceptions?

Post by MrSatan2099 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:12 pm

Inspired by a recent post about "Kami teaching Goku to value life", I had a thought. I'm sure this is a topic that pops up from time to time, but what are some of the misconceptions you had personally in the early days of your fandom?

For instance, when I was first watching Z on Toonami, I for some reason just assumed the footage of the first three movies in the Rock the Dragon intro were from episodes of the series past the Namek saga. Anyone else have fun instances like that?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Your personal misconceptions?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:25 pm

Like many who first watched the show through Funimation’s dub I thought Frieza was supposed to be a woman

Due to the youthful design and Lalaina Lindjberg’s youngish sounding voice and Vollmer’s over the top valley girl ism I thought Bulma was suppose to be teenager in Dragon Ball Z

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:32 pm

i've mentioned this before because i really did believe it for like 10 years, but i read a very old thread on here that mentioned the rumor that hideyuki hori, ginyu's original VA, did the scream instead of nozawa when goku goes super saiyan. i think i just believed it because nobody said it was Untrue...but it's pretty obviously still nozawa with effects added on.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm

I thought Garlic Jr and Pilaf were the same person at one point

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:45 pm

I made a threat just like this a while ago:

EDIT: Wrong link, sorry.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:10 pm

10 years old me used to think Tullece was a relative of Goku, because of similar hair, face, voice. Another prominent one I used to have was the 'Toriyama planned to end DB on the Freeza Saga'.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:15 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm I thought Garlic Jr and Pilaf were the same person at one point
Lol, yeah, I had the same impression.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:19 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:15 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm I thought Garlic Jr and Pilaf were the same person at one point
Lol, yeah, I had the same impression.
Plus of course Shigeru Chiba voiced both Emperor Pilaf and Garlic Jr. in the filler arc, since Akira Kamiya didn't return to reprise the role from Return My Gohan/Dead Zone.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:20 pm

I thought Freeza was female until I found out the truth in high school(primarily due to Young's voice and Freeza's somewhat effeminate appearance in his final form).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:21 am

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:20 pm I thought Freeza was female until I found out the truth in high school(primarily due to Young's voice and Freeza's somewhat effeminate appearance in his final form).
A lot of people who were introduced to the series through the dub seemed to think he was female at first, including me, but the constant use of male pronouns made me quickly realize he was a guy. I’m not sure what FUNimation or Ocean or whoever was going for.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:13 am

Goku has a line just before teleporting off with Cell about having always done whatever he wanted (apologizing for being selfish, essentially) that I'd misremembered as being in the manga for the longest time. It is, in fact, anime-only. Kudos to whoever wrote it in, as it's probably one of the better small script changes the TV series ever got.

It fits the tone of the moment without betraying any established part of his character so well that I'd mentally lumped it in with the manga.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:40 am

I've had a few, but one that comes to mind is back when I was 8, years before I got into DB properly. It was when GT was first getting brought over to the west and I remember seeing a picture of Gohan (controlled by Baby) in a suit about to kill Pan with a sinister look on his face and thought it was Vegeta. So I assumed that Vegeta in GT becomes some kind of evil businessman/CEO.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:41 am

Goku was a teenager, Gohan was his little brother, and Chichi their mother.

Raditz, Vegeta, and Turles were all Goku's brother and at times all the same character.

Yamcha was a Saiyan.

The movies and tv series were all one shared continuity.

Kami was Piccolo's father.

The fly that Ginyu kills during the battle with Goku was actually one of Dr. Gero's spy robots foreshadowing the Androids saga.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:36 pm

That image of Krilin grabbing 17's ass by mistake reminded me that before the android arc kicked in, the first few images of 17 and 18 had me thinking they were two girls.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:36 pm That image of Krilin grabbing 17's ass by mistake reminded me that before the android arc kicked in, the first few images of 17 and 18 had me thinking they were two girls.
I also did that.

It's easy to do that with a lot of male anime characters it seems. When looking at pictures of Alistair from Yu-Gi-Oh I initially thought he was female(as did one of my high-school classmates) and once he spoke I was quite surprised to find out he was a dude.

I can see why the DiC and Cloverway dubs of Sailor Moon just flat out made it's two most effeminate male characters female(Zoicite and Fish-Eye).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:56 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:30 pm

It's easy to do that with a lot of male anime characters it seems. When looking at pictures of Alistair from Yu-Gi-Oh I initially thought he was female(as did one of my high-school classmates) and once he spoke I was quite surprised to find out he was a dude.
If its the character I’m thinking of I did too.

I can see why the DiC and Cloverway dubs of Sailor Moon just flat out made it's two most effeminate male characters female(Zoicite and Fish-Eye).
Not like they had a choice. Not if they wanted the show allowed to air on kids tv in the 90s/turn of the millennium. I guess maybe Zoicite could have been kept male and have his relationship with Kunzite/Malachite edited down to them being brothers or something but Fish Eye’s entire character revolving around cross dressing and seducing men to trap them to extract their dream mirror was never going to fly on Cartoon Network in 2000 without getting a gender change.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:15 pm

zirconia also had her gender swapped, which, is just weird honestly.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:28 pm

I thought Chiaotzu was Tien's son.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:43 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:15 pm zirconia also had her gender swapped, which, is just weird honestly.
The French dub did that too so I was wondering if it was a mistranslation issue.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:59 pm

I've got a pretty funny/interesting one. And before anyone laughs I was really young at the time. Years ago when I was rewatching Season 3 on Cartoon Network, I had a funny misinterpretation of a certain line relating to Vegeta crying during his death scene.

Goku says "A heart of stone can't shed tears like you did. You must have been fighting them back your whole life".

Then later on I was rewatching an earlier episode. It was the one where Goku goes into the healing tank following the fight with the Ginyu Force. There's a couple of parts where Vegeta begins to show signs of discomfort, with Krillin asking if anything was wrong. Of course we all know now that this was simply exhaustion, but at the time I interpreted it as him "fighting back the tears" because of the way his eyes looked. :lol:

It didn't help that the narrator says "Is Vegeta afraid of Frieza? Or is something else bothering him?". Because of this I interpreted it as him secretly being terrified of Frieza, to the point where the mere thought of fighting him caused him to experience trauma and almost cry. Given that he actually acts this way shortly before his death, I guess it wasn't that much of a stretch for my young mind.