Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 07, 2021 3:28 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:59 pm I hope Tatsuya Nagamine will be back to direct the film.
I doubt that he will leave One Piece while the series has so much momentum from hus influence.

I would really love for Kamatani Haruka to be the director but Toei Animation would never let a woman direct a Dragon Ball film. I agree with Ajay that Nakamura Ryouta is a good guess for director. He worked on the TV series and isn't busy with anything else right now.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri May 07, 2021 3:36 pm

Very nice news, hope it's true. The way we learned about it is pretty funny though :lol:

It'll be interesting to see how this correlates to the current manga arcs and where you'll be able to place it on the timeline. It's quite hard to set it before Moro, but I don't believe they would set it after Moro either without adapting that one first.

This is very intriguing.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri May 07, 2021 3:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:20 pmWell, it'd be better off as a movie either way...but would Toriyama script it? Toriyama typically scripts his own storylines and it'd be a bit awkward if he scripted a film based on Toyo-tarou's story. Something tells me that to keep Toriyama as the script writer the production team would ask him to write his own film story.
It wouldn't be first time Toriyama works with someone else script, while he didn't write it himself, he did it with Battle of Gods. They could have Toriyama "script" the new movie like he did in that one.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri May 07, 2021 3:44 pm

I really hope that this movie doesn't try to canonize anything from the past (e.g Cooler), and that Yamamuro isn't the character designer.

I think I'll be happy as soon as it's confirmed those things aren't happening. If Shintani is back and it's an original story set after Granolah, I'll be very happy.

I hope that the announcement doesn't spoil too much about how the Granolah arc will turn out.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 07, 2021 3:49 pm

They seem pretty adamant about keeping Shintani so I doubt that Yamamuro is going to be the designer.

I definitely want an original story, though. I wanna see a monkey-wrench thrown into things!
She/Her
bisexual milf

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri May 07, 2021 3:58 pm

I hope the use the same team as the last film, it was the best Dragon Ball has ever looked

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:00 pm

I wouldn't mind Cooler, but what about an U6 movie? We still don't have a story about it. They can add broly, frost, new sayans ecc together.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 07, 2021 4:01 pm

If this movie is happening, please for the love of everything that is holy have the story be something original and not just a rehash of another film or have a form villain being brought back into the limelight.

My money is on this being an adaption of the Moro arc, but I so desperately want the status quo to be shaken up again. If Dragon Ball wants to keep telling new stories it can't afford to stay in the safety net of the 10 year period forever. For sake of some originality and more creativity, it needs to progress and in a meaningful way.

EDIT: Oh and keep Yamamuro FAR away from this.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri May 07, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Fri May 07, 2021 4:06 pm

With all this pre-production time ya'll really think they'll waste a brand new movie on a retelling? I seriously highly doubt that

This will be something new

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:11 pm

This leak has really made me happy. Looking forward to more info when it officially gets announced on Goku Day.

In regards to the actual contents of the film, as ridiculous as it sounds, a very small portion of me believes it's going to be a Moro movie, either condensed, or retold/revamped.

If they were to do another movie with some random new villain, what would they do with the Ultra Instinct situation? DBS: Broly had a pass because Goku had zero training or progress with UI after the ToP. Aside from that, in Broly, we just had Goku fighting with Blue or fusing to become Gogeta. Showing Goku fighting with Blue as his maximum state or showing Gogeta again (as cool as he is) would be kinda lame since we just seen him, and Moro/Granolah arc has already shown that Goku's past the need for Blue at this point. Moro arc is what shows Goku's progression into trying to master UI, and Granolah arc currently has Goku trying to go take UI into new heights.

Adding some random plot with no progression to UI whatsoever would feel clunky imo. On the other hand, if the movie features a new villain and it tries to add UI Goku progression, it would just make the UI training in Moro arc redundant if they plan on adapting Moro arc in the future. Another scenario would be if Toei never adapts Moro, whether in the upcoming movie or if the anime never returns, but not only would that be almost completely unlikely, if they wanted to adapt Granolah, it would have its own issues since Granolah arc starts exactly where Moro arc left off.

At the same time, tossing Moro into a film when it could easily be adapted into 16+ episodes for the anime would seem like a waste. Who knows man.

Obviously this is all just huge playful speculation :lol:
I mean there's literally nothing to make a judgement of yet, I'm just ecstatic we're finally getting new animated DB content that isn't Heroes.
Last edited by superfan2024 on Fri May 07, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri May 07, 2021 4:22 pm

Considering that the movie is supposed to be released in 2022, the story may take place after the conclusion of the Granolah arc. Honestly, the Moro arc is too big to be adapted into a movie of less than two hours. Not only that, it is much more advantageous for them to turn this arc into a saga for the anime if it comes back, as they can turn it into a lot more content. Considering all this, it seems a waste to use this moie to tell a story that we already know (although I would like to see the Moro arc with the best animation possible)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 07, 2021 4:30 pm

Nevaeh wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:06 pm With all this pre-production time ya'll really think they'll waste a brand new movie on a retelling? I seriously highly doubt that

This will be something new
Wr have zero idea of how much pre-production time the film has actually had.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri May 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Yasai9001 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:05 pm
Peach wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:56 pm A Cooler movie, maybe? There's a lot of potential for good storylines with a Frieza still alive for him to interact with.

I hope it takes place around the End of Z.
I hope it takes place around the End of Z, as well.

As for Cooler, though, how would that really fit? If we're to fit Cooler in, we'd have to change pretty much his entire origin as an explanation as to why he'd show up in the first place. Having him related to Freeza could definitely be a possibility, albeit the lack of mentioning in regards to him would have to be taken care of.

I mean, perhaps he was an outcast? Or maybe he's just one of the people from the clan who's decided to go ahead and try to make a rise to power. That'd be a more interesting storyline imo. And having it at the End of Z would be a nice chance to have the younger generation get involved with everything as well.

Cooler would be interesting, though tweaks will definitely have to come with him like it did for Broly.
Frieza seems interested in keeping Broly around as an asset to use in the future. Isn't it possible he'll seek out other assets like an estranged Brother? It isn't out of the realm of possibility that he may want a fusion partner too, after seeing Gogeta and Ultra Instinct.

My gut is telling me Frieza will 100% be involved in this movie. The end of the Broly movie heavily implies he's not done.

I think they may try to reboot his brother, giving him a slightly different personality, look, and new Japanese voice actor.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri May 07, 2021 4:35 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:22 pm Considering that the movie is supposed to be released in 2022, the story may take place after the conclusion of the Granolah arc. Honestly, the Moro arc is too big to be adapted into a movie of less than two hours. Not only that, it is much more advantageous for them to turn this arc into a saga for the anime if it comes back, as they can turn it into a lot more content. Considering all this, it seems a waste to use this moie to tell a story that we already know (although I would like to see the Moro arc with the best animation possible)
Yeah I think it would be a waste to retell Moro too, even though I did enjoy that arc and would like to see it animated, but they can save that for the return of the Super TV anime in 2023. I'm hoping they do the same thing as the last movie and have it take place between arcs, they'll have to be very secretive about it though so they don’t spoil Granolah and release it the same week that Granolah ends.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri May 07, 2021 4:36 pm

I hope we get a new story with a new villain, but I've been feeling pessimistic about DB for a while in terms of where they've been going with it in relation to what interests me about the franchise so it'll probably be a retelling of something.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri May 07, 2021 4:40 pm

I kind of feel no matter what the movie is people will be disappointed. Probably myself included

But there is that blissful period when you don’t know much and there is just a lot of anticipation in the fandom. We haven’t had that in awhile. And that is exciting.

I am even contemplating the idea of going to Japan for this movie. Hopefully things with Corona will finally be settled by then.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri May 07, 2021 4:49 pm

Hopefully, it will be an original idea, with an original villain.
It will be a chance for Goku to showcase UI in a movie, and for Vegeta to get hakai shoved up his ass :lol:

What if they revive Cell now? lol

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri May 07, 2021 4:49 pm

I have absolutely no idea what the movie will be about. Manga arcs are far too long and if its a villain from the past, which ones could you actually use at this point? broly was the most popular one.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri May 07, 2021 5:00 pm

If the film is about Cooler as some people are speculating, then the Granolah arc would be the best way to introduce him since it takes place in space and has Freeza as the center. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of the concept of introducing every movie villain into the story anyway

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:01 pm

It could be the trip to Universe 6 that people have been wanting so badly.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/