Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by Mystic Buu » Sat May 08, 2021 1:24 am

Moro arc is too long for movie adaptation, so it could be after Granolah arc or before Moro arc. If it is former, then that means the arc will end before movie comes out. Moro arc was 2 years long so this could mean Granolah arc will be even longer.

I would actually like more for it to be before Moro arc. Since it was said in booklet for Broly movie that the next movie will go in different direction, it could be something like trip for Planet Sadala or something casual like that. It could be a good time to start anime with Moro arc after it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 am

Finally some news! (or rather, genuine leak of a news)

I am very happy we are finally getting something, and cannot wait to see what it will be and, hopefully, to also get some key visuals or even better a teaser trailer.

Demon Slayer has adapted a whole arc in a movie so there is the possibility that they will condense Moro into a movie. But then, they already said they were preparing the movie back in 2019 so it might be something different. Were the Baby returns leaks true? We will soon know.

If I had to have it my own way, I would like the movie to happen after the End of Z. There were a lot of hints about the serie finally going there in Moro arc, and Granolah’s lifetime has been reduced to 3 years which is exactly the time left before End of Z.

For a serie like Dragon Ball, to maximize hype and achieve new box office records I think it makes more sense to release something new. If the movie was about retelling Moro, not everyone would be nearly as interested in it.

Also, Toriyama is writing the script for sure. I don’t think he would want to rewrite Moro, who he didn’t even design. The new villain will probably be a design of his. And this would explain why he hasn’t designed a character for the manga since Broly: he must have been working on the designs for the movie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Saiyan Emperor

Post by Saiyan Emperor » Sat May 08, 2021 2:50 am

Fingers crossed it's about Android 21 being introduced in the anime

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat May 08, 2021 3:15 am

Please let this movie not spoil Granolah's arc. I'm getting deeply invested into it and like the fraction war it's building. Suddenly it being spoiled by random trailers here would be off-putting. I hope the staff behind DB realizes it.

Just for that reason I kinda want it to be Moro adaptation.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat May 08, 2021 3:32 am

I don't really care who will be the main villain of this movie, just please let it be after or during EoZ...
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat May 08, 2021 3:46 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:04 pm Remember the movie rumours that briefly circulated in late December, suggesting that Baby-Vegeta might get a run-out in the main storyline, and that there would be a Goku-Broly fusion ("Gori")? On some level, that would seem a natural outgrowth of the arc running in the manga now, playing with the past sins of the Saiyans, and such.

Or it could be, y'know, anything else. Guess we'll see whether there's any detail in a couple of days.
I could see a ss4 form implemented in super, but a new baby? We had a second baby vegeta in super dragon ball heroes, so i don't know.
Everything is possibile, that's for sure. In the end, we got gogeta vs broly.
We'll see in less than 24 hours :D

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 08, 2021 4:37 am

All I'm going to say is that, if they want to maximize profits and marketing as much as possible, it would make the most sense to bring Goku Black back as the main villain. Whenever there's a character poll Black consistently ranks very high, only behind the main characters who have existed for 30 years. I'm not saying that Black will come back nor that it's even likely, just that if they wanted a villain who can be as marketable as possible, then Black is the answer.

Maybe the fact that he recently came back in Heroes is a clue :?: :?: :?:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat May 08, 2021 4:45 am

Nothing from Toei and Shueisha has impressed me since Resurrection F and I have literally zero expectations for the franchise at this point. A lot of people seem to like the last movie, but I hate it with a passion and I feel like I do not belong to the fanbase anymore. Anyway, I'm sure I won't go see the movie at a theater this time.
Last edited by kei17 on Sat May 08, 2021 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat May 08, 2021 4:45 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:37 am Maybe the fact that he recently came back in Heroes is a clue :?: :?: :?:
I remember that Cumber vs Vegetto fight from Heroes was a clue to upcoming Broly vs Gogeta, so everything is possible. Toei is behind both of these projects after all and they like to leave nudges for fans.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:06 am I think it'd be pretty weird if this was a new story. For better or worse the Moro arc includes some fairly important development, with Goku being able to use Complete Ultra Instinct at will by the end. Like, what do you even do at that point? (which is my same concern with the current arc in the manga)
That's what I was wondering. The Moro arc had a lot of padding that could be cut down but Goku learning UI at will was a pretty major development that carried over to the next Toriyama written arc. Demon Slayer: Mugen Train was the highest grossing anime film of all time and it adapted a manga arc from the best selling manga of the year. Its performance could be an outlier but the idea of a new DB movie adapting a completed manga arc wouldn't be impossible based on that.

If it does take place after Granolah, there could be some confusion as to when Goku learned UI at will for the general audience who has only seen the anime. Mugen Train was the following arc after what was adapted in the first season of the anime so it didn't require fans to read the manga to understand any events between the first season and movie. It could just hint at Goku already learning UI at will off screen like how Goku and Vegeta obtained SSJB during their training between BoG and RoF. If it's after Granolah then that could also mean there won't be major developments in that arc that are necessary to see first before watching this movie. It will interesting to see what happens.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:37 am All I'm going to say is that, if they want to maximize profits and marketing as much as possible, it would make the most sense to bring Goku Black back as the main villain. Whenever there's a character poll Black consistently ranks very high, only behind the main characters who have existed for 30 years. I'm not saying that Black will come back nor that it's even likely, just that if they wanted a villain who can be as marketable as possible, then Black is the answer.

Maybe the fact that he recently came back in Heroes is a clue :?: :?: :?:
When was the most recent poll? A poll held right after the Goku Black arc might not reflect the same opinions after the arc has aged a few years. I think it's unlikely Goku Black has that much lasting popularity that Toriyama would decide to bring him back since he wasn't referenced at all after his arc ended (aside from one comment from the U10 GoD in the manga). Freeza was likely the most popular villain in the original and referenced in some way in every arc between Namek and RoF.
Last edited by Skar on Sat May 08, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 08, 2021 4:57 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:45 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:37 am Maybe the fact that he recently came back in Heroes is a clue :?: :?: :?:
I remember that Cumber vs Vegetto fight from Heroes was a clue to upcoming Broly vs Gogeta, so everything is possible. Toei is behind both of these projects after all and they like to leave nudges for fans.
Honestly I think it makes sense to reintroduce Black in Heroes if you also want to make him the villain of an upcoming movie, because Heroes is the most popular Arcade videogame in Japan, so it would just maximize the marketing/exposure of the character to the masses. It's a smart marketing move.

Regardless I'm also ready for the movie to be about some old movie villain like Janemba or Cooler.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:07 am

kei17 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:45 am A lot of people seem to like the last movie
Also in Japan?
I think it's a fantastic movie, but this is just my opinion.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 08, 2021 5:09 am

Not really interested in having old villains back, but a TV Special remake of FT Trunks arc is something I've been wanting for a long time too. Such a great arc that it didn't have the production treatment that it deserved. Maybe one day.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat May 08, 2021 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Sat May 08, 2021 5:11 am

I hope it's not:

- A villain already seen previously, maybe with a recolor or something.

- A recycled story.

- Horrible Botamo or Ribrianne like designs.

- Senseless retcons.

- Poor treatment of characters and situations (like Freeza being a joke, Roshi fighting girls all the damn time, Piccolo sacrificing himself yet again for Gohan in RF, etc).

I hope it's:

- New, original stuff.

- Side characters have a say in the movie (like Yamcha or Tien or Piccolo).

- Blood.

- Less gags than in Super.

- Compelling new villain, not seen before.

- A story with some tension.

- Cool, interesting designs.

Let me be, a man can dream...

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:11 am

Skar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 am
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:06 am I think it'd be pretty weird if this was a new story. For better or worse the Moro arc includes some fairly important development, with Goku being able to use Complete Ultra Instinct at will by the end. Like, what do you even do at that point? (which is my same concern with the current arc in the manga)
That's what I was wondering. The Moro arc had a lot of padding that could be cut down but Goku learning UI at will was a pretty major development that carried over to the next Toriyama written arc. Demon Slayer: Mugen Train was the highest grossing anime film of all time and it adapted a manga arc from the best selling manga of the year. Its performance could be an outlier but the idea of a new DB movie adapting a completed manga arc wouldn't be impossible based on that.

If it does take place after Granolah, there could be some confusion as to when Goku learned UI at will for the general audience who has only seen the anime. Mugen Train was the following arc after what was adapted in the first season of the anime so it didn't require fans to read the manga to understand any events between the first season and movie. It could just hint at Goku already learning UI at will off screen like how Goku and Vegeta obtained SSJB during their training between BoG and RoF. If it's after Granolah then that could also mean there won't be major developments in that arc that are necessary to see first before watching this movie. It will interesting to see what happens.
They can still do a short recap at the beginning of the movie, maybe while training with Whis or Vegeta.
Basically, you go to the cinema because you know the events of the manga (90% of the cases), but of course everything is possible.

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Sat May 08, 2021 5:29 am

I would totally be down for an ancient namekian/saiyan film, maybe we could get info on where the namekians come from and stuff like that. There is also a possibility this could be a moro arc adaptation but condensed.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:59 am

OrangeBanana wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:29 am I would totally be down for an ancient namekian/saiyan film, maybe we could get info on where the namekians come from and stuff like that. There is also a possibility this could be a moro arc adaptation but condensed.
They are teasing something about the namekians in this arc, so they could follow this path and show us something new and interesting!

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat May 08, 2021 6:01 am

I wonder what the animation staff will look like for this. So many of the regulars from the Super anime and the Broly film are now regulars on One Piece, Digimon and Dragon Quest. Shintani coming back as the character designer is pretty much a guarantee after the universal praise Broly got for its revamped designs. I've got the feeling that both Digimon and Dragon Quest will end in October, so the staff for those two shows will go on to work on this movie.

I would love to see some other Toei animators that we haven't see work on Dragon Ball before get to animate something here. Imagine someone like Katsumi Ishizuka dropping an insane cut. His work on One Piece is out of this world. If they manage to one up the animation in Broly I'll be absolutely floored.

As for when this will be released, seeing that they're announcing it now and they usually release a movie a year after its announcement, I think Golden Week 2022 is a safe bet. So late April.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat May 08, 2021 7:33 am

Trouser wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:32 am I don't really care who will be the main villain of this movie, just please let it be after or during EoZ...
Why are you people so obsessed with End of Z?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat May 08, 2021 7:42 am

To be frank, I absolutely believe an "old" villain is going to appear in this film. Whether it will lead to a good or bad thing will be unknown.
What is also unknown is if the setting takes place before the Moro arc, IS the Moro arc, or after the Granola arc.

Honestly, I place 10 bucks for Moro adaptation. It's the safest bet for TOEI.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san