Goku is a disaster as a father, according to Akira Toriyama

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Re: Goku is a disaster as a father, according to Akira Toriyama

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:17 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:50 pm
The top 8, Roshi, Popo and Choutzu still means Chichi at the 23rd Budokai had a chance at being 11 of the top 11 strongest in the world.
Yajirobe, Tao Pai Pai, the Crane Hermit, and likely numerous incidental villains.
Tao was I'm the TOP 8 in the 23rd budokai. Crane Hermit and Yarajorbe are intreasting however to add to the list.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:39 am

My point in bringing up Chichi's fighting was that Toriyama disregarded her entire character to give her the personality that she has in Z. So, I believe that's what Toriyama wanted for Goku's relationship. So does anyone have any doubt that if Toriyama decided to pair Goku up with anyone else, from Bulma to Suno to anyone, that Toriyama wouldn't basically give them the same personality that he gave Chichi? I argue this because he's the author; he could've chosen to make Chichi any way he'd like and this is what he chose. So, I contend that it doesn't matter who Goku ended up with in the end. People's problem isn't with Chichi, it's with her personality. And her personality would be transferred onto anyone else because that's what Toriyama wanted Goku's marriage to be like.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:56 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:39 am My point in bringing up Chichi's fighting was that Toriyama disregarded her entire character to give her the personality that she has in Z. So, I believe that's what Toriyama wanted for Goku's relationship. So does anyone have any doubt that if Toriyama decided to pair Goku up with anyone else, from Bulma to Suno to anyone, that Toriyama wouldn't basically give them the same personality that he gave Chichi? I argue this because he's the author; he could've chosen to make Chichi any way he'd like and this is what he chose. So, I contend that it doesn't matter who Goku ended up with in the end. People's problem isn't with Chichi, it's with her personality. And her personality would be transferred onto anyone else because that's what Toriyama wanted Goku's marriage to be like.
Chi Chi personality was awful in the Saiyan Saga when she was introduced in Z, but little by little she improved until we got into the Buu Saga she became a great character. Then both Goku and Chi Chi like the idea of training and martial arts.
In Yo Son Goku Ova she still likes the idea of training and fighting.
In BoG we don't see anything that indicates she hates training and fighting.
In DBS manga we don't see anything she hates training and fighting. Instead Chi Chi encourage Goku to fight the villain in space, since he would get money.

DBS anime is the only one that ignores Chi Chi progress during the whole DBZ, Yo Son Goku Ova and BoG.

Saiyan Saga Chi Chi = awful
Namek Saga Chi Chi = better
Android Saga Chi Chi = better
Buu Saga Chi Chi = the best
Yo Son Goku Ova = the best
BoG Chi Chi = the best
DBS manga Chi Chi = the best
DBS anime Chi Chi the worst
GT Chi Chi = the best

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:18 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:39 am My point in bringing up Chichi's fighting was that Toriyama disregarded her entire character to give her the personality that she has in Z. So, I believe that's what Toriyama wanted for Goku's relationship. So does anyone have any doubt that if Toriyama decided to pair Goku up with anyone else, from Bulma to Suno to anyone, that Toriyama wouldn't basically give them the same personality that he gave Chichi? I argue this because he's the author; he could've chosen to make Chichi any way he'd like and this is what he chose. So, I contend that it doesn't matter who Goku ended up with in the end. People's problem isn't with Chichi, it's with her personality. And her personality would be transferred onto anyone else because that's what Toriyama wanted Goku's marriage to be like.
He didn't disregard her entire character. Her character wasn't that she was a martial artist. When we first meet her, she's a flake. It's not a leap to say that person would continue to be primarily used for comedy?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:14 pm

Chi-Chi in Z doesn't feel out of character to me. In Dragon Ball, she had an extremely naive idea of marriage and what being married to Goku would be like. When we meet her 5 years later in Dragon Ball Z, this is a Chi-Chi with 5 years of being married to someone like Goku. Being a martial artist was just one facet of who she was as a person, it didn't define her whole being the way it did for Goku (in fact, Goku was the only reason she entered the tournament at all), so it stands to reason she wasn't going to want constant training once she got married. It's the same way people who get married in real life sometimes hope their partner will grow out of their "flaws" once they're both married; then once they're married, the thing the one partner was overlooking about their significant other becomes unbearably annoying to them when it persists. That, and she was always a gag character to begin with, as others have pointed out.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:06 am

And if Bulma or Suno had Chichi's personality people wouldn't suggest they were were better picks.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:46 am

Bulma is rich, for one thing, so Goku being off training wouldn't be such a problem for her since she could hire a sitter. Although Goku would likely utilize Capsule Corp facilities and equipment like Vegeta, so he wouldn't necessarily be "away," during which Bulma would just make an offhand comment about him training all the time as sort of a "Goku will be Goku" sentiment. The other difference between Bulma and Chi-Chi is that Bulma is an adventurer at heart. Chi-Chi is a sheltered country hick who hasn't seen much of the world at all, nor does she seem to have a desire to. And Chi-Chi wasn't around Goku very much when they were kids, if we're excluding the anime filler (and even then it still wasn't much), so she never truly got to know him. He was probably one of the only boys she saw at all, and he was nice to her, which is probably what led to her being more obsessed with him than anything. Whereas Bulma actually spent time with Goku on adventures and got to know his full character. She literally witnesses him grow up from boy to man, doing occasionally heroic things, and in this case he wouldn't have been the only guy she ever liked. Whereas with Chi-Chi, her and Goku's relationship was always going to be the way it is once they were married, unless Toriyama decided to add more depth and personal growth to her character.

As for Suno, sure we don't know a lot about her, but we see she has an immediate sweet nature and takes an instant liking to Goku's character. And while she worries about him going off to fight the RRA, she seems to believe in him and supports him going.

I say all this to say that it's pretty apparent Toriyama chose Chi-Chi because he wanted Goku to have a somewhat dysfunctional and comedic marriage, as they were never a true match, even as kids (besides both being hicks). Whereas the anime occasionally and subtly plays with the idea that Bulma and Goku could end up together, and with Suno at moments during the RRA arc. Had he chosen Bulma or Suno for him, they'd be written in-line with their established characters as well, and the marriage would be a lot more functional if not occasionally comedic due to Goku's naivete.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:07 am

Toriyama admits he couldn't write romance and leaned in on Goku's family is dysfunctional and he is not a good family man.

Goku, Kuririn and Vegeta ended up with all their partners are in different ways proof of that as Toriyama unlike other manga puts characters together when he needs to.

Goku only marries Chichi because it leads to Gohan. Vegeta marries Bulma because he needs Trunks. Kuririn and 18 are the only couple that got some sore of romance and that started off a gag.

Had Dragonball being written with romance on mind I feel Goku and Bulma would have been Endgame or even more likely Chichi and Suno would have been merged.

Toriyama with his comedian style however likes Goku is a bad family man and Chichi is an overbearing wife and mother instead of them finding middle ground and eventually growing into a loving family.

For example Goku having a moment where he tells Chichi he's use to living and watching out for himself and a family is new to him and Chichi mentioning Gohan can learn Martial arts for self defense but the life and death battles are too much would be middle ground.