The Manga is no more canon than the anime right?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: The Manga is no more canon than the anime right?

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:17 am

HeroR wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:56 amYou said Toriyama didn’t reread his stuff when he is on record doing it for Battle of Gods and Resurrection ‘F’. So he’s capable of fact checking himself. So him having a poor memory still isn’t really an excuse when Toriyama, according to his own words, has reread the manga at least three times during the period of Battle of Gods and Resurrection ‘F’ so he’s capable of not just going off his memory. Because it isn’t just the two decade gap if he reread the manga again for Resurrection ‘F’ which was only three years after Battle of Gods.
I said I didn't think he actively rereads it. He forgot some details in interviews after BoG. Interviews are informal so not a big deal but I assume it wouldn't happen as often if he's rereading it before every new storyline. You gave an example of him forgetting that Vegeta should've known about fusion or that Bulma knew about Freeza in RoF. Rereading the manga to refresh his memory isn't the same as thoroughly rereading it fact check every detail.
By that logic, Broly wouldn’t have Super Saiyan Full Power since he didn’t make that either. In fact, it wouldn’t exist at all since the animators created it so it’s functioning no different than SSBE.
I recall that there was an official explanation why they included SSJFP due to how iconic LSSJ was. That's not the case with the other examples we're discussing because you're giving your own for each one. I would expect to see SSJFP if Broly powered up all the way in Super Hero or not manga or anime only forms that haven't appeared in any movie.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:21 pm

The anime is more canon than the manga because it has more people following it, that's how true canon works.

The manga isn't made to add anything to the canon. The only major thing it introduced is Ultra Ego and the concept for it is so vague, feel like Toyotaro was just tasked to design it for the official reveal in the next movie.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:25 pm

Jinto wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:21 pm The anime is more canon than the manga because it has more people following it, that's how true canon works.
This is not a thing that anyone in charge of the product has ever said and has no basis in... well, anything.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:08 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:25 pm
Jinto wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:21 pm The anime is more canon than the manga because it has more people following it, that's how true canon works.
This is not a thing that anyone in charge of the product has ever said and has no basis in... well, anything.
It has basis in money and recognition. i highly doubt anyone will even mention Moro or Merus or Granolah and as I said, UE is so vague in its execution so as to allow its official reintroduction (if it'll even get mentioned). Mastered ultra instinct ? As far as anyone knows, Goku mastered it during the ToP. See my point there ?
Why the manga has such a rushed and bland execution, why does it need to finish the current arc BEFORE the movie ? Why did it rush ToP arc after the anime one ended ? Because the manga follow the anime's lead.
Only the anime is allowed to shake up the Dragon Universe and as such, it can be taken as the "true canon".

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 am

Jinto wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:08 am
It has basis in money and recognition. i highly doubt anyone will even mention Moro or Merus or Granolah and as I said, UE is so vague in its execution so as to allow its official reintroduction (if it'll even get mentioned). Mastered ultra instinct ? As far as anyone knows, Goku mastered it during the ToP. See my point there ?
Why the manga has such a rushed and bland execution, why does it need to finish the current arc BEFORE the movie ? Why did it rush ToP arc after the anime one ended ? Because the manga follow the anime's lead.
Only the anime is allowed to shake up the Dragon Universe and as such, it can be taken as the "true canon".
wait what in the world lol, what do you think "canon" means dude

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:14 am

capsulecorp wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 am

Canon means the "official" main continuity of a franchise, every other work related to the franchise gravitate around the Canon whether it be video game, spin-off, what-if,...
It is usually the author that establish the canon but we already know Toriyama's stance on that.
GT was the main continuity until BoG became popular and replaced it.
Hence why the one to define canon outside of its author is the 2nd people in charge and it is NOT Toyotaro. I don't know the exact term if there is one but let's say "corporate" (Dragon ball room ?), and they follow what is popular to the people (the anime), everything else gravitate around that.
We have Boruto in contrast where we clearly see the anime following the manga establishing what is canon.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:57 am

capsulecorp wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 am

Good question, honestly I don't think anyone can give you a definitive, objective answer, least of all Toriyama :wink:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:06 pm

Jinto wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:08 am It has basis in money and recognition. i highly doubt anyone will even mention Moro or Merus or Granolah and as I said, UE is so vague in its execution so as to allow its official reintroduction (if it'll even get mentioned). Mastered ultra instinct ? As far as anyone knows, Goku mastered it during the ToP. See my point there ?
This post is so strange to me. You just keep projecting and assuming and making up facts.

Neither of us is privy to every single decision made behind the scenes as to why what happens with what.

You have no idea if the end of the ToP was "rushed" in the manga or not. I sure think it FEELS that way myself, too, but we don't know if that wasn't just the plan from the start.

Who says the Granolla arc is going to end before the movie comes out? The statement we got at Jump Festa wasn't definitive in setting a timeframe for that at all.

Only the anime is allowed to make up new things? Are you reading the current arc? The previous arc? Goku and Vegeta have both used new forms and techniques alike, there's new Namekian background lore, there's a revision of Bardock lore, and so on and so forth. All of this is is stuff the manga's doing all on its own.

It's OK to not know things; just admit that up front and say you're theorizing, rather than projecting facts you don't actually know for sure. I recognize this is a REALLY hard thing to do, especially when you're being directly challenged on things, but it's really important.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:06 pm
Jinto wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:08 am It has basis in money and recognition. i highly doubt anyone will even mention Moro or Merus or Granolah and as I said, UE is so vague in its execution so as to allow its official reintroduction (if it'll even get mentioned). Mastered ultra instinct ? As far as anyone knows, Goku mastered it during the ToP. See my point there ?
This post is so strange to me. You just keep projecting and assuming and making up facts.

Neither of us is privy to every single decision made behind the scenes as to why what happens with what.

You have no idea if the end of the ToP was "rushed" in the manga or not. I sure think it FEELS that way myself, too, but we don't know if that wasn't just the plan from the start.

Who says the Granolla arc is going to end before the movie comes out? The statement we got at Jump Festa wasn't definitive in setting a timeframe for that at all.

Only the anime is allowed to make up new things? Are you reading the current arc? The previous arc? Goku and Vegeta have both used new forms and techniques alike, there's new Namekian background lore, there's a revision of Bardock lore, and so on and so forth. All of this is is stuff the manga's doing all on its own.

It's OK to not know things; just admit that up front and say you're theorizing, rather than projecting facts you don't actually know for sure. I recognize this is a REALLY hard thing to do, especially when you're being directly challenged on things, but it's really important.
You are right, it IS theorizing. From now on I wont' forget to add "I think" to remind everybody my opinion is not fact.

I think however that does not take away from my point.
I think we should watch the movie and see for ourself, shall we? :angel:

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:11 pm

Jinto wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:39 pmYou are right, it IS theorizing. From now on I wont' forget to add "I think" to remind everybody my opinion is not fact.

I think however that does not take away from my point.
I think we should watch the movie and see for ourself, shall we? :angel:
Just gonna mention for posterity sake once more, since your last comment is relevant.

The movie is already very clearly drawing from the manga. Both Gohan's usage of Piccolo's gi, as well as recent promotional images that are very clearly drawing from Piccolo and Gohan using the Masenkosappo together.

You can't really ignore the manga when it comes to this movie, regardless of what continuity one wants to assume it takes place in.