GT vs Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: GT vs Super

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:04 pm

For as more originality GT had, the show itself was boring to watch, Super also had boring parts but it did had its entertaining moments (e.g: the fights), something that I can't say for GT.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:24 pm

One thing I'll say for GT also is that I'd watch the Black Star Dragon Ball and Super 17 arcs any day over the Super recap arcs (not the actual movies), which is sort of a backhanded compliment. And I appreciate the Baby and Shadow Dragon arcs more on a story level than anything in Super(the Baby arc I legitimately enjoy as a quality arc). But the fun arcs in Super like U6 and the TOP are the ones that really get the adrenaline flowing; they're just a pure spectacle. So overall they're pretty different, yet even experiences for me.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:30 am

I've seen a lot of people say that they liked the Super 17 arc over the years. Am I the only one who didn't care for it at all? Lol Anyway, maybe they'll still merge Super and GT (like so some parallel universe story or something). That's the exciting thing about Super being on-going.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:42 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:30 am I've seen a lot of people say that they liked the Super 17 arc over the years. Am I the only one who didn't care for it at all? Lol Anyway, maybe they'll still merge Super and GT (like so some parallel universe story or something). That's the exciting thing about Super being on-going.
Really? It's pretty consistently considered pretty weak from what I've seen, along with the Black Star saga, so to answer your question, no. I consider myself a fan of GT, and I find that arc to be pretty poor, with a few brief highlights.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:44 am

My only issue with the Super #17 arc is that it doesn't have much in the way of good directing or animation. It's a slapdash arc thrown together at the last second and doesn't really get a chance to live up to the potential of "Everyone from Hell comes back!" I'd have liked more character scenes in that respect.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:52 am

I actually like Goku's time in Hell in the Super 17 arc (and when he encounters Cell and Freeza), along with any moment involving 18. And I like the general concept. I just remember it overall being a dull arc.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:41 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:52 am I actually like Goku's time in Hell in the Super 17 arc (and when he encounters Cell and Freeza), along with any moment involving 18. And I like the general concept. I just remember it overall being a dull arc.
I definitely feel like the directing just doesn't pop at all. If only GT had good episode directors.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:41 am

The Super 17 arc feels like a filler/buffer arc between Baby and the Evil Dragons arc
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:47 am

ABED wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:38 pm It's a tad simplistic but by and large Super has good execution of uninteresting and often boring ideas, whereas GT has poor execution of good ideas.
This about sums it up for me. GT had some fantastic ideas but the execution was terrible. Super never tries to be anything but a nostalgic cash grab but manages to be entertaining in its low ambition.

GT is being promised a delicious feast of all your favorite meals except it turns out the chef can’t cook and the food ends up being kind of gross. Super is being offered a cookie and it’s tasty enough but it’s still just a cookie and you’re still hungry.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:07 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:30 am I've seen a lot of people say that they liked the Super 17 arc over the years. Am I the only one who didn't care for it at all? Lol Anyway, maybe they'll still merge Super and GT (like so some parallel universe story or something). That's the exciting thing about Super being on-going.
I actually see more people enjoying it than first arc of GT. I guess that's because it has Goku SSJ4, #18 plays significant role and Super 17 is just badass. For me it was easily the worst arc of GT. It was just too short. Having even 2-3 more episodes would've helped that arc a lot. Not even for Super 17 himself, but to see more villains from hell fighting. It has some values though. As mentioned, #18 is really cool. Goku vs Super 17 fight had some great visuals, like Super 17 blasting Goku across entire planet or from space.

Also it seems Goku vs 17 in DBS could've been inspired by that fight, as they also fight on island during sunset. Not to mention #17 in Super appearing in exact 20th anniversary of #17 appearing in GT. So it's cool to see that arc survived its bad reputation and still had some impact on recent stories.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:45 am

I vote for GT since I think the gag is just ok, they don't go overboard. We see character go through some development as the story progress and the transformation like Super Oozaru and then into SSJ4 is really good. We see characters ages in GT and retired fighters don't just magically gain huge power boost out of the blue.

In GT characters can do as they like in GT and Chi Chi isn't a problem in GT. Goku while he does dumb things, in GT they don't go overboard.

I bought the DVD of GT, as for DBS I don't think I will ever buy the DVD/Blu-Ray version.

The characters in GT are good, while in DBS the characters can get super annoying which affects the quality of the episode and the whole anime as a whole.

If I were to make a comparison I would say GT = Teen Titans and DBS anime = Teen Titans Go and I believe Teen Titans >>>>>>>> Teen Titans Go.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:51 am

super michael wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:45 am If I were to make a comparison I would say GT = Teen Titans and DBS anime = Teen Titans Go and I believe Teen Titans >>>>>>>> Teen Titans Go.
That is a terrible comparison. Teen Titans GO is a reboot of Teen Titans, whereas both GT and Super are sequels of DBZ. Comparing Super and DBZ to TTGO and TT is more apt.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:28 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:51 am
super michael wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:45 am If I were to make a comparison I would say GT = Teen Titans and DBS anime = Teen Titans Go and I believe Teen Titans >>>>>>>> Teen Titans Go.
That is a terrible comparison. Teen Titans GO is a reboot of Teen Titans, whereas both GT and Super are sequels of DBZ. Comparing Super and DBZ to TTGO and TT is more apt.
Forgetting about reboot and sequel, in TTG the whole cast are downgrade version of TT. Robin the leader in TTG is a loser, there is no character development but instead character regression.

The gags in TTG are not even that funny majority of the time and can get annoying.

That is why it is comparable, one is superior while the other is inferior. Lets not forget art style and colour choice.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:45 am

I doubt that massively. Since Toriyama never wrote GT (he only did some drawings/concept arts), while he indeed wrote Super, he would have no reason to work with something that he never created in the first place. Plus the characters in GT are not *his* characters, so he might not feel confident working with them.

After the new movie is released, which from the looks of things is very close to End of Z, Super will likely replace GT in the decades following the End of Z.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:11 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:45 am
I doubt that massively. Since Toriyama never wrote GT (he only did some drawings/concept arts), while he indeed wrote Super, he would have no reason to work with something that he never created in the first place. Plus the characters in GT are not *his* characters, so he might not feel confident working with them.

After the new movie is released, which from the looks of things is very close to End of Z, Super will likely replace GT in the decades following the End of Z.
Yeah, but Super did Broli twice (Broli inspired, then actual Broli), so that's why there's always a possibility. I'm sure that the comparisons to GT haven't gone unnoticed by Toei at least.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:15 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:11 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:45 am

Yeah, but Super did Broli twice (Broli inspired, then actual Broli), so that's why there's always a possibility. I'm sure that the comparisons to GT haven't gone unnoticed by Toei at least.
Well at best we'll get an arc that thematically is similar to the Shadow Dragon arcs, but that is it.

Since it is impossible for the Super 17 arc to impact Super in any way, due to the way Hell works as established by Toriyama (so Gero and some other evil scientist would never meet to make an evil copy of 17...), and the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans movie, which obviously inspired the Baby arc, has somewhat inspired the current Granolah arc but not too much. Granolah has in common with Hatchyak/Baby only the fact that he wants to avenge his people against the Saiyans, aside from that he's massively different.

Even the new Broly is massively different and is a redeemed and misguided man, while the old Broly was literally just Satan incarnate in terms of personality.

Though honestly I doubt Toriyama will ever look at the Shadow Dragon arc because it wasn't nearly as popular and iconic as the Broly trilogy, not even close, and it has a stigma attached to it due to being part of GT.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:45 am

GT over Super anyday. Especially GT: Revised (i hope it will return from hiatus one day) i remember one of main critiques for GT, was almost no Toriyama involvement, now that he returned for Super, it seemed to change :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:49 am

super michael wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:28 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:51 am
Forgetting about reboot and sequel, in TTG the whole cast are downgrade version of TT. Robin the leader in TTG is a loser, there is no character development but instead character regression.

The gags in TTG are not even that funny majority of the time and can get annoying.

That is why it is comparable, one is superior while the other is inferior. Lets not forget art style and colour choice.
The obsessive hate boner for Teen Titans Go is the most fascinating thing

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:18 am

It really is like comparing apples and oranges.

Both GT and Super were aiming for different kinds of narratives to produce. GT was an epilogue of the original story, whereas Super is more of a final pit stop before the story ends. And I think both shows succeed and fail in varying degrees for what they were going for that department.

GT certainly aimed for the stars when it came for what stories they wanted to tell and what kind of aesthetic they wanted for the show. I will die on the hill that the Evil Dragons arc is the most creative and imaginative arc to ever come out of Dragon Ball, and would have served as the PERFECT endgame story arc for Dragon Ball in its entirety. SSJ4 is the best thing GT produces and one of the highlights of the entire franchise. Speaking from an aesthetic standpoint, at the very least, it's an amazing form.

But the big problem with GT is that with all its amazing ideas, it NEVER utilizes the most of them. For example, Super Android 17 as a concept is interesting, but the show never really does much with it other than just making Android 17 evil for the sake of it. The nadir of GT's mishandling of story ideas though has to be the Evil Dragons arc. That arc had everything going for it. And it just became another glorified fighting gallery for Goku. In an alternative, that arc is the best story arc in all of Dragon Ball.

The treatment of Oob is also unforgivable. The ending of Dragon Ball, explicitly made it clear he was going to be next Son Goku, and my God, you couldn't have dropped the ball any harder with that guy. GT didn't even entertain the idea of Oob being a central character, let alone giving him a personality.

Super is more than content in playing it safe. A decision that was more than likely influenced by GT's creative gambles not playing out like Toei thought it would for the longevity of the show. But that decision has led to a lot of creative stagnation with Toriyama, Toei and Toyotaro keeping a status quo in place with regards to the development of the cast and even their aesthetic. I mean, Goku and Vegeta had new fighting gi for Ressurection F that only carried over for one arc into Super before mysteriously disappearing. It's taken even further with characters like Goten and Trunks, who fall intents and purposes, who seem as though they have a mandate against them where they're not allowed to age. Hell, the latest Dragon Ball (Super) movie to come out is shaping to have the Red Ribbon Army as the central antagonist(s)... again. As if the stakes in the story arcs of Super couldn't get any lower...

Ironically, some of the banal and derivative concepts have in turn produced some of the best content out of Super. Goku Black is the best antagonist to come out Super and one of the best-written antagonists in the entire series but is unfortunately bogged by a terrible confusing origin. And what is even more ironic is when Super realise how much it's stuck in the status quo, and just decides to go out all with its spectacle -- consequences regarding the quality of the narrative be damned -- you get some of the most visually stimulating content to ever come out of the franchise (Universal Survival arc (anime), DBS Broly and the final 1/4 of the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc).

Whenever Super decides to be creative, the story immediately backtracks to its comfort zone. Ultra Instinct was the best, and most original, concept that Super had going for it. It was thematically tied to the upper echelon characters introduced in the show and even it had a simple yet distinct and appealing aesthetic. Only for it to just become another generic power-up very quickly.

Both GT and Super, but more-so Super, had major problems moving on from the past.

GT wanted to capture the whimsy and innocence of the early days of Dragon Ball and thought that by turning Goku into a child, they could recapture that feeling of adventure, not realising that kind of story can only happen organically. But most of the time, when GT wanted to pay homage to something it was usually done in a fleeting manner, as it should be.

In Super, nostalgia is pretty much a part of the DNA when it comes to what kind of story it's going to tell. Freeza was reintroduced to the story twice, Broly got rebooted both directly and indirectly with Kale, Future Trunks was brought for just one arc back despite his story ending, and Bardock and Goku's origins were re-written. Thankfully, Toyotaro seems a bit more interested in treading into new ground, but even he's guilty of shameless pandering from time to time.

I guess when comparing the two shows, you have to ask yourself what you value more when Dragon Ball tells more stories that aren't necessarily attached to the manga.

If you're looking for a somewhat ambitious but ultimately very flawed epilogue to Toriyama's manga, GT can fill that role fine enough.

If you've settled with the idea of there shouldn't/can't be any kind of follow to the conclusion of the manga, and are more interested in something like Dragon Ball - The Greatest Hits: Vol. 2™, then Super is certainly the nostalgia trip you'll dig.

Personally, I find GT to be the lesser of two evils, but things could change if Toyotaro can step up his game with the manga or Toei can do something original.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:25 am

Uub not being a main character never bothered me. The ending wasn't about him. His being the one to take "Goku's spot" wasn't the point. It was about Goku's excitement for the future bc there were more mountains to climb.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.