GT vs Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: GT vs Super

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:54 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:30 pm
NickLord wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:47 pm Super Manga (Post-ToP) > Super Anime > GT > Super Manga (Pre-Moro)

That's how I view things. GT has better ideas but worse execution in almost everything.
I kind of want to say that the Super manga is better than the anime too... which is better than GT. Maybe because the manga is my preferred way to experience the series. It's quick, it's easy, it's drawn well, and I can pick it up and put it down (particularly the digital version) whenever I want. So, I might be biased in that way.
I agree with this. Apart from all the notorious issues with the animation and art style, the anime has a lot of trouble with characterization and pacing... not to mention the extraordinarily low quality of the "filler" material.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:41 pm

The manga goes WAY too fast at times and it lacks both the actors and the score, which account for A LOT.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

NickLord
Banned Alternate Account

Post by NickLord » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:07 am

ABED wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:41 pm The manga goes WAY too fast at times and it lacks both the actors and the score, which account for A LOT.
This is especially true for the manga version of the ToP saga, though super fast pacing is just one of many of that arc's severe problems.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:16 am

DBS Anime has a lot of problem, such as taking a gag too far. A character doing dumb thing or saying dumb thing is funny. But the anime doesn't know when to stop and continue and continue until it becomes predictable, which gets tiring and annoying.
In GT Goku did dumb things, but they didn't go overboard.

In GT they didn't allow Pan to go into space, but they dropped the whole not allowing quickly. In DBS with Goten and Trunks Toei had them only appear to just have the other character stop them or keep secret all the time.

I never found DB/DBZ/DBZ Kai/GT annoying, I found them enjoyable.
I never found DBS Manga annoying, I found it enjoyable.
DBS anime while it was enjoyable, it was extremely annoying.

Toei was really obsessed with making their character look bad, especially when it came to Goku and Chi Chi the worst characters of all time.

DBS anime doesn't care about training method or what method character does to get strong, they just get super strong from weak training. They don't care about power scaling at all.

Toei before DBS Anime used to be good.

The characters in DBS manga were written good, maybe there was some questionable writing but not enough to ruin my enjoyment.
DBS Anime there was time I was thinking when are Toei going to stop with that writing, it is getting annoying.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:25 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:16 am I never found DB/DBZ/DBZ Kai/GT annoying, I found them enjoyable.
Yeah, it kind of comes down to this for me, too... though I did at times find the DBZ anime annoying too. Ultimately, the DBS anime causes more heartache than it's worth. It feels very "seat of the pants", like they don't really know what they're going to do next, and end up planting seeds for ideas that never go anywhere, or build up emotional and dramatic scenes only for them to end up being completely meaningless at best, or misleading at worst (TOP was notorious at this).

For all its faults, the DBS manga at least feels like it respects the source material and has some thought put into it.

NickLord
Banned Alternate Account

Post by NickLord » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:12 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:16 am DBS Anime has a lot of problem, such as taking a gag too far. A character doing dumb thing or saying dumb thing is funny. But the anime doesn't know when to stop and continue and continue until it becomes predictable, which gets tiring and annoying.

In GT they didn't allow Pan to go into space, but they dropped the whole not allowing quickly. In DBS with Goten and Trunks Toei had them only appear to just have the other character stop them or keep secret all the time.

Toei was really obsessed with making their character look bad, especially when it came to Goku and Chi Chi the worst characters of all time.

DBS anime doesn't care about training method or what method character does to get strong, they just get super strong from weak training. They don't care about power scaling at all.

The characters in DBS manga were written good, maybe there was some questionable writing but not enough to ruin my enjoyment.
DBS Anime there was time I was thinking when are Toei going to stop with that writing, it is getting annoying.
There's far more stupid character moments in the DBS manga (especially from Goku in general and pretty much everyone in the manga ToP) than in the anime version. And the power scaling in the DBS manga is even worse, especially with Gohan, who randomly goes from Piccolo level to Kefla level in the same arc, and Goku Black.

Pre-Moro DBS Manga is just horrible all around.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:32 pm

NickLord wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:12 pm
super michael wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:16 am DBS Anime has a lot of problem, such as taking a gag too far. A character doing dumb thing or saying dumb thing is funny. But the anime doesn't know when to stop and continue and continue until it becomes predictable, which gets tiring and annoying.

There's far more stupid character moments in the DBS manga (especially from Goku in general and pretty much everyone in the manga ToP) than in the anime version. And the power scaling in the DBS manga is even worse, especially with Gohan, who randomly goes from Piccolo level to Kefla level in the same arc, and Goku Black.

I would like you to name all the stupid things Goku and others has done in DBS manga, in DBS Anime there was an entire episode dedicated to Goku being stupid, which was the Beerus costume one. Goku thinks Krillin screaming Taiyoken and Taiyoken flashing light = Monaka transforming.

We have the humans performing better than Gotenks. Then we have Goten and Trunks struggling against weak humans who has no power or worse even against a normal snake.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:23 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:25 pm
super michael wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:16 am I never found DB/DBZ/DBZ Kai/GT annoying, I found them enjoyable.
Yeah, it kind of comes down to this for me, too... though I did at times find the DBZ anime annoying too. Ultimately, the DBS anime causes more heartache than it's worth. It feels very "seat of the pants", like they don't really know what they're going to do next, and end up planting seeds for ideas that never go anywhere, or build up emotional and dramatic scenes only for them to end up being completely meaningless at best, or misleading at worst (TOP was notorious at this).

For all its faults, the DBS manga at least feels like it respects the source material and has some thought put into it.
Interesting, I felt they more or less knew where they were going. What seeds were planted that never got reaped?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:22 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:23 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:25 pm

Interesting, I felt they more or less knew where they were going. What seeds were planted that never got reaped?
I remember thinking they built Jiren up way too much, for example his pointless meditation time-out and the scene where he tanks a ton of hits from Goku in all of his forms.

Another big one was Freeza using destruction energy right after he gets revived.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:31 pm

They did pay off Jiren's power. It took the combined efforts of Goku, Freeza, and 17 to win.

I don't understand your issue with Freeza using destruction energy after being revived. How was that a build up?

NickLord
Banned Alternate Account

Post by NickLord » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:08 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:32 pm

I would like you to name all the stupid things Goku and others has done in DBS manga, in DBS Anime there was an entire episode dedicated to Goku being stupid, which was the Beerus costume one. Goku thinks Krillin screaming Taiyoken and Taiyoken flashing light = Monaka transforming.

We have the humans performing better than Gotenks. Then we have Goten and Trunks struggling against weak humans who has no power or worse even against a normal snake.
When have Goten & Trunks ever struggled against any Humans in the DBS anime? And Gotenks was never a competent fighter to begin with, he's a gag character, a fusion Yamcha lol.

The ToP manga even had Goku regressing as a fighter just so he can learn UI from Roshi is a stupid way, which involves Roshi teaching Goku a lesson he already learned as a kid in OG DB. And if Roshi knew the basics of UI all along why didn't he ever do it in the OG Manga or Z? Doesn't that defend the whole point of his retirement?

And speaking of other characters, nearly everything Goku Black does in the manga comes from him being a hot headed idiot despite him supposed to be the same person as Zamasu, to the manga version of the U6 arc having Vegeta being a neglectful idiot by pointlessly wasting his SSB energy on weaker fighters before facing Hit, etc.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:37 pm

NickLord wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:08 pm

When have Goten & Trunks ever struggled against any Humans in the DBS anime? And Gotenks was never a competent fighter to begin with, he's a gag character, a fusion Yamcha lol.

The ToP manga even had Goku regressing as a fighter just so he can learn UI from Roshi is a stupid way, which involves Roshi teaching Goku a lesson he already learned as a kid in OG DB. And if Roshi knew the basics of UI all along why didn't he ever do it in the OG Manga or Z? Doesn't that defend the whole point of his retirement?

And speaking of other characters, nearly everything Goku Black does in the manga comes from him being a hot headed idiot despite him supposed to be the same person as Zamasu, to the manga version of the U6 arc having Vegeta being a neglectful idiot by pointlessly wasting his SSB energy on weaker fighters before facing Hit, etc.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/drago ... ain-760351
We see Goten and Trunks all injured with broken clothes. Perfect Cell tanked Vegeta full power kick without getting hurt.
Gotenks gave Super Buu trouble, almost killed Super Buu had fusion not worn out.

I have to agree with what you said about ToP Goku and Master Roshi in the manga. You are correct there.

Goku Black and Zamasu are from different time lines, meaning they lived differently.
Vegeta wasting energy wasn't exclusive in the manga only, this happened in the anime U6 Tournament. Still was lame, since they criticized Freeza not being aware of his drain, but Vegeta wasn't aware of his drain.

NickLord
Banned Alternate Account

Post by NickLord » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:09 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:37 pm
NickLord wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:08 pm

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/drago ... ain-760351
We see Goten and Trunks all injured with broken clothes. Perfect Cell tanked Vegeta full power kick without getting hurt.
Gotenks gave Super Buu trouble, almost killed Super Buu had fusion not worn out.

I have to agree with what you said about ToP Goku and Master Roshi in the manga. You are correct there.

Goku Black and Zamasu are from different time lines, meaning they lived differently.
Vegeta wasting energy wasn't exclusive in the manga only, this happened in the anime U6 Tournament. Still was lame, since they criticized Freeza not being aware of his drain, but Vegeta wasn't aware of his drain.
Vegeta didn't waste his energy in the U6 arc anime version because SSB doesn't have the same stamina problems in the anime, so him showing Cabba what SSB is like for a few seconds doesn't cost anything. Also, Vegeta never used SSB against Frost in the anime.