Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 78 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 78 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by redon » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 78 full summary that I can share with you.

PD: I posted it in the other thread but my post was deleted. I think now it's OK here.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:37 pm

redon wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:31 pm Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 78 full summary that I can share with you.

PD: I posted it in the other thread but my post was deleted. I think now it's OK here.
Thanks as always!

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:39 pm

redon wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:31 pm Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 78 full summary that I can share with you.

Redon I love you. You madlad.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:29 pm

No judgement on the story's quality so far, but this is a very odd arc structure. Making this same wish twice in the same arc in the span of a few days is to me inherently off-putting but I'll see where they go with this.

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:36 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:29 pm No judgement on the story's quality so far, but this is a very odd arc structure. Making this same wish twice in the same arc in the span of a few days is to me inherently off-putting but I'll see where they go with this.
Goku "So that's the reason...."

FINALLY we shall know if Granolah has UI and Hakai!!! But based on Gokus text, he knows why Granolah has "similar moves"

I think this was just the "first wish" Let's not forget Elec still has the Dragon Ball Radar, a ship, and a scheme.
It's still possible we get another big twist wish that leads to some of my theories. OG-73 Army, knowledge wish etc.
Want to see Jamaican Super "Gas" Buu

As for the condition, I think Moros power may still be dormant in OG-73, and that "Genki" or lifeforce may be used, to power up Gas. However Elec will betray Gas....for his own wish.... which may be a knowledge wish of epic porportions, like a OG-73 army or Zuno knowledge

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:43 pm

Really? We still won't get to see Bardock fighting and humiliating these random folks? This was the perfect opportunity to show it... Oh well, guess this is it, then. Unless I'll have to wait another ten months for that.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:52 pm

I just can't get over Monaito, this arc's shitty writing has led to the creation of the most useless character in Dragon Ball history.

Not only did he refuse to use the Dragon Balls to do ANYTHING about the genocide of the Cereleans, he then also let Granolah work for the people who killed his mother for DECADES. What kind of a "friend" is that!?

His excuse of "where would the Sugarians live if the Cereleans came back?" is so fucking stupid. These Dragon Balls reactivate immediately. Just wish for a new hospitable planet, wish for the Sugarians and all their infrastructure to be teleported there and then wish for the Cereleans to be revived.

Toyotarou is just an awful writer and a mediocre artist, he is nowhere close to being a worthy successor to Toriyama, he was given more freedom in the arc and he gave us Granolah... outside of his character design and decent backstory everything about him is just so dull and boring, he's the "strongest in the universe" yet he puts me to sleep anytime he's on page, Ultra Ego Vegeta amounted to a worthless wet fart and we can't forget "Good Guy Bardock (TM)".

If this level of awful writing is all we have to look forward to then the sooner this manga is cancelled/ends the better.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:00 pm

Casual reminder that -- *checks clock* -- it's still Tuesday, November 16, and you in all likelihood have not actually read this chapter. You do not have the full 45 pages of artwork and professionally-translated dialog in front of you.

Consider this when making your posts, particularly of the exasperated kind.

Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 78 releases in the January 2022 issue of V-Jump, which hits Japanese shelves on Saturday, November 20. The official international digital release hits at midnight Japan time, which in most of those timezones is actually Friday, November 19.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:00 pm Casual reminder that -- *checks clock* -- it's still Tuesday, November 16, and you in all likelihood have not actually read this chapter. You do not have the full 45 pages of artwork and professionally-translated dialog in front of you.

Consider this when making your posts, particularly of the exasperated kind.

Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 78 releases in the January 2022 issue of V-Jump, which hits Japanese shelves on Saturday, November 20. The official international digital release hits at midnight Japan time, which in most of those timezones is actually Friday, November 19.
You beat me to the punch by one second. :lol:

What he said.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:11 pm

The more I look at it, the more the Granolah arc reminds me of Broly: it centres around the past actions of Saiyans in a vengeance-motivated 'fated meeting' tale, with a constantly escalating battle as an immovable centrepiece of the arc.

I'm glad that we're looking to get the Chapter sited principally in the present, as I suspected we might - it would've been weird to drop the most important plot development of the arc early in the Chapter and then go "anyway, now to finish off Monaito's scattered reminiscences of Bardock for completeness' sake...". And while it still looks pretty decompressed in terms of pacing, at least the subject matter appears to warrant drawing out the plot beat due to its importance.

I also appreciate that the arc is giving us a twin-track story set both in the past and the future and unfolding at the same time in the reader encounter (which is a marked difference from Broly, which gave us the past as context and pretext for the combat and then basically forgot about it), and arguably it always has been, as the day the Cerealians were destroyed has been progressively unfolding for us since Chapter 68, as the plot in the present goes on - I figure given the developments of this Chapter, this twin unfolding will become significant to the outcome of the story, as (getting into possible spoiler territory now):
Looking forward to reading the Chapter, and seeing where it goes afterwards.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Are we almost done with this arc?

It feels like we are almost done with this arc.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:28 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:29 pm No judgement on the story's quality so far, but this is a very odd arc structure. Making this same wish twice in the same arc in the span of a few days is to me inherently off-putting but I'll see where they go with this.
eh it actually happened in the namek saga with reviving people but tori was smart and made the characters had to fight for that.

this does highlight Toyo's biggest draw and flaw. He is a fanboy.

he knows dragon ball, using the balls to increase power is a theory i have always seen fans speculate and he remembers things about the series that toriyama forgot. The problem is he doesn't know how to dragon ball without truly understanding why the moments he replicates worked.

though this arc is better than the last one and it doesn't have as many wtf moments.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:03 pm

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:05 pm

One thing I am very curious to know is what was the downside of the Heeta's wish? Does Gas know how many years of his life have been shaved off? I bet this will come into play in a big way.
The Monkey King wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:52 pm
His excuse of "where would the Sugarians live if the Cereleans came back?" is so fucking stupid. These Dragon Balls reactivate immediately. Just wish for a new hospitable planet, wish for the Sugarians and all their infrastructure to be teleported there and then wish for the Cereleans to be revived.
I get where you're coming from, but this is most likely because he didn't have a means of finding the Dragon Balls to repeatedly make wishes. He didn't have a radar, and the 2nd ball was missing for decades before Granolah made his wish... but then you can say "why didn't he wish for a radar?" or "why didn't he grab the balls like how Goku once immediately grabbed the 4 star ball" and it gets messy :P

Maybe the balls aren't capable of any wishes without some kind of monkey's paw sacrifice.
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:11 pm
This is a cool prediction, I can see the story going that way.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:10 pm

Wonder when Oatmil will play a role. I'm assuming he'll be the one to save everyone when Gas beats them all

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:23 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:10 pm Wonder when Oatmil will play a role. I'm assuming he'll be the one to save everyone when Gas beats them all

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:19 am

ZodiacBeast wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:23 pm
OLKv3 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:10 pm Wonder when Oatmil will play a role. I'm assuming he'll be the one to save everyone when Gas beats them all
Ah so basically like the MCU, where

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 am

The Monkey King wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:52 pm I just can't get over Monaito, this arc's shitty writing has led to the creation of the most useless character in Dragon Ball history.
I've not read the spoilers and won't, but this kind of hyperbole is so goddamn silly.

First of all, he's a minor supporting character. They don't tend to be deep because the story isn't about them. Some characters can exist just to further the characters you're supposed to care about. This isn't the MCU where every character onscreen is going to get a shitty spinoff tv show or movie.

Secondly... some old guy is the worst character in all of Dragonball? Really? Of all the shit Toei/Bandai have put out there over the last 30 years (and continue to put out with each new Dragonball Heroes event)... this guy is the worst? Man...
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:07 am

Dragono wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:23 pm Are we almost done with this arc?

It feels like we are almost done with this arc.
Nahh, Toriyama worked on it's outline longer than on the Moro arc.
This claim alone confirms it will last a few chapters more than the previous one. Elec will probably do another wish or something while everyone's busy punching each other. Gas won't be the final boss here either.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:55 am

I can't get excited. From the looks of it, the fight will be close range. Boring ! Step up the game Toyo, Gas is strongest ? Granolah is strongest ? Why should we care ? Their fight blew up some trees and made some hole in the street, Big deal ! why should we care ?
Wasn't this arc supposed to be about Vegeta ? We cared about that ! Now what ? Why suddenly shift the attention to Granolah ? Are we supposed to care about his revenge ? Where is the spectacle, where is the presentation ? So much potential ! Why all this waste !