Walmart Exclusive Dragon Ball Z Bluray sets *Confirmed to be the 2013 cropped discs*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Walmart Exclusive Dragon Ball Z Bluray sets

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:13 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:10 am I expect these to be the 30th too. If they're not (for better or worse) I'll be suprised. However, can't wait to see posts about people getting them :D
Yes, i'm just of the thinking that since it seems like the 2013 widescreen BD's have been yesterday's news for a long time that given the 30th masters are newer they'd just stick to that for these. It wouldn't really be logical or make sense to have it be the former given they don't even actively promote them anymore.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:14 am

They're widescreen. FedEX just dropped mine off. First thing I checked was the AR on the packaging. 16:9. Opened it up and SURPRISE it's literally the same discs. Just sold mine on eBay for what I thought was going to be a minor upgrade. Nope, just uglier packaging!

Funi just HAD to release the Dragon Boxes during the worst economy in 3 generations, didn't they?
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

NeflyteMasato
Patreon Supporter

Post by NeflyteMasato » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:29 am

Yeah, they are basically identical to the 2013 Blu-ray release. Only differences that I can see are some of the ads, and the packaging. Discs are just about identical as well.
Vegeta: “If it means merging together with you, then I choose death!”
Goku: “Vegeta, you’re already dead!”

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:39 am

Well that's unfortunate, but not surprising. Looks like tracking down the steelbooks somewhat late will be a better option after all.

...Good thing I've already got my Dragon Boxes.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:42 am

Well now I feel better about grabbing the steelbook sets as they released.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:43 am

Everyone in this thread hoping Funimation would finally do a mass market release of DBZ in proper 4:3 again, literally the most bare minimum thing you could want from an old TV show.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:57 am

SSJ Helldog wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:14 am They're widescreen. FedEX just dropped mine off. First thing I checked was the AR on the packaging. 16:9. Opened it up and SURPRISE it's literally the same discs. Just sold mine on eBay for what I thought was going to be a minor upgrade. Nope, just uglier packaging!

Funi just HAD to release the Dragon Boxes during the worst economy in 3 generations, didn't they?
I can’t say I’m surprised. I lowkey expected this to be the case. The steelbooks were going for $45 a pop there way no way in hell Funimation was going to re sell these as a significant discount. Not this soon.

Funimation repackaging their outdated wide screen release to get the money out of the “3 seasons for the price of 1? What a bargain!” is disappointing but completely predictable.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:09 pm

Once again, it's really sad and pathetic, that unofficial fanmade releases curbstomp official releases. :roll:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:32 pm

Wow, what a shocker. Way to go there FUNi....NOT!!!!!!! I guess i was expecting too much and being more optimistic of this that it was actually going to be. But then again, i already have the Dragon Boxes so this really is no skin of my nose. Yet again they drop the ball when having an opportunity to do something somewhat good.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:57 pm

Anyone have pictures of the packing? I checked ebay (both new and sold) and twitter and there is nothing :/

Venny

Post by Venny » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:25 pm

What a genuinely pathetic distributor FUNimation is. They make Blu-Ray sets that are affordable and look nice, but put a release from 2013 on there when they have the 4:3 "remasters" they just made 3 years ago sitting on overpriced ugly steelbooks. I've never seen an anime or cartoon that has had so many re-releases in the span of 5 years and had them all be this confusing and misleading. If you are gonna release shit with garbage near-unwatchable picture quality at least give people the one that has the correct aspect ratio.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:35 pm

Venny wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:25 pm What a genuinely pathetic distributor FUNimation is. They make Blu-Ray sets that are affordable and look nice, but put a release from 2013 on there when they have the 4:3 "remasters" they just made 3 years ago sitting on overpriced ugly steelbooks. I've never seen an anime or cartoon that has had so many re-releases in the span of 5 years and had them all be this confusing and misleading. If you are gonna release shit with garbage near-unwatchable picture quality at least give people the one that has the correct aspect ratio.
Wow, FUNi just can't seem to ever get it right. I'm legit baffled they decided on this, recycling an effectively obsolete version that came out eight plus years ago when they have a more recent release right there to use. They must have a surplus back stock of those 2013/2014 fake widescreen BD's laying around that didn't sell individually and decided to take the cheap lazy way out and just recycle them.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:41 pm

Just a thought: since it's a Walmart exclusive and they still are selling the Orange Bricks in store, could they have (or their sales data) pushed for cropped blurays?

Still sucks tho regardless

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:48 pm

Oh boy, how shocking. I knew there had to be some sort of catch. Especially since it's sitting right alongside the 4:3 steelbooks. I mean, it wouldn't make sense to sell the exact same thing with one being cheaper than the other. Or are the steelbooks not on Wal-Mart? Or are the cropped an online-only thing? I don't know; it's been so long since I've walked past a Blu-ray section of a store. Plus, no Wall-Marts 'round these parts.

Anyway, I'm not shocked. Since I get all the garbage they pump out upon release, I really don't feel the need to get any of these (unless the video is brand new in some way).

The joke is that the 30th anniversary set has the exact same features as the 2013 cropped crap... which is funny hearing how amazing of a job they did on the 2013 release when the subsequent release improved upon it.

Wondering how the special features are on the steelbooks and the Wal-Mart set.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:13 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:41 pm Just a thought: since it's a Walmart exclusive and they still are selling the Orange Bricks in store, could they have (or their sales data) pushed for cropped blurays?

Still sucks tho regardless
Nah I think it was just an excuse for Funimation to squeeze a little more money out of the season sets. The 30th anniversary release is the closest to a definitive blue ray release we’re gonna get (in the sense that they have the correct aspect ratio and they were complete) this release is aimed squarely at people looking for a deal and not necessarily concerned about the show being presented correctly
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:48 pm. Or are the steelbooks not on Wal-Mart?
I don’t recall seeing them but Funimation is still selling them on their website.
(unless the video is brand new in some way).
Nah its just the season sets repackaged as a 3 in 1. They did this before with a 2 in 1 with the orange bricks.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:07 pm

Kaboom wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:39 am Well that's unfortunate, but not surprising. Looks like tracking down the steelbooks somewhat late will be a better option after all.

Season 1 is already 150+ dollars on ebay...

I guess I have no choice but to get the widescreen ones. :cry:

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:58 pm

If you are interested in the stealbooks. I wouldn't look online. Most places I see them are in store and are priced at or below retail. Around here we have a place called Vintage Stock that has all of them new plus some used copies.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:34 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:07 pm
Kaboom wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:39 am Well that's unfortunate, but not surprising. Looks like tracking down the steelbooks somewhat late will be a better option after all.

If you want the 4:3 version I'd suggest getting the
Manga UK blu-rays. The packaging is great, with nice art cards and posters. They're also region A/B so will work on any US blu-ray player.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:34 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:07 pm

If you want the 4:3 version I'd suggest getting the
Manga UK blu-rays. The packaging is great, with nice art cards and posters. They're also region A/B so will work on any US blu-ray player.
Thanks but I only buy the North American releases of things I collect.
TheMajinRedComet wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:58 pm If you are interested in the stealbooks. I wouldn't look online. Most places I see them are in store and are priced at or below retail. Around here we have a place called Vintage Stock that has all of them new plus some used copies.
I think I'm just going to get the season sets. It will be cheaper ( I can get 3 for around the same price as 1 steelbook) and I can live with 16x9, I guess.

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:33 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:55 pm Thanks but I only buy the North American releases of things I collect.
The UK sets are pretty cheap... That's an odd reason to not consider them.

Also, stolen from the Blu-ray forums:

Gonna update the OP.
Looking for the following Pioneer single: