Burst Limit's appeal

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Burst Limit's appeal

Post by Peach » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:36 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:32 am
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:46 pm Yeah, I don’t see how the Budokai style could have any actual appeal left at this point, outside of a couple of gimmicks like the beam struggles.
The Budokai style can be adapted for competitive esports. Infinite World had the right idea (combining the best elements of all the Budokai games) but unfortunately it was rushed and a budget title.

An ideal game would have Infinite World's gameplay with Budokai 3's fatigue system and story elements, Shin Budokai's customization system (supers and ultimates should be integral to characters) and real-time ultimates, and Burst Limit's graphics.
When you say fatigue system, you mean the games requiring you to charge up right?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:09 pm

Peach wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:36 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:32 am
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:46 pm Yeah, I don’t see how the Budokai style could have any actual appeal left at this point, outside of a couple of gimmicks like the beam struggles.
The Budokai style can be adapted for competitive esports. Infinite World had the right idea (combining the best elements of all the Budokai games) but unfortunately it was rushed and a budget title.

An ideal game would have Infinite World's gameplay with Budokai 3's fatigue system and story elements, Shin Budokai's customization system (supers and ultimates should be integral to characters) and real-time ultimates, and Burst Limit's graphics.
When you say fatigue system, you mean the games requiring you to charge up right?
The little icon around the health gauge in B3. When it's red, you get fatigue while having less than 1 ki gauge and get knocked back.

It's different in Burst Limit and Infinite World as fatigue has its own meter and you get fatigue whenever it's full regardless of how much ki you have.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:40 pm

Modern_Dingus wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:19 am
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:41 pm
coola wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:16 pm I remember game was rated pretty low for being so barebones compared to BT3, "That's what Burst Limit 2 will be for" sadly, it never came out.
The game had decent scores from review sites and it sold better than the Raging Blast games. It probably could’ve gotten a sequel.
The way I see it, Burst Limit kind of feels like the last spark from the Budokai-esque game play. Not to mention that coming off the heels of Shin Budokai, BT3, and with Raging Blast already in the works trying to offer a semi-new perspective on what a DBZ Arena fighter could be I'm a little surprised they made the game instead of doing a port / re-release for that years game instead of making what seems like a new game engine / assets.

I think anything BL ( or a spiritual successor / Sequel ) wanted to accomplish is already satisfied by what we have now. FighterZ for anything remotely serious, Xenoverse 2 is our current sandbox, and Kakarot is the RPG ( though I would say Kakarot could use some more fresh ideas personally )
Ehh id gave to disagree. The Budokai series and FighterZ have little to nothing in common. FighterZ story was kinda boring and half-assed compared to any of the Budokai game and it didn't have the extra modes or fun factor Budokai (aside from the gameplay) had. The Budokai games while aimed at casuals , was just a better game series overall.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:35 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:40 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:41 pm

The game had decent scores from review sites and it sold better than the Raging Blast games. It probably could’ve gotten a sequel.
The way I see it, Burst Limit kind of feels like the last spark from the Budokai-esque game play. Not to mention that coming off the heels of Shin Budokai, BT3, and with Raging Blast already in the works trying to offer a semi-new perspective on what a DBZ Arena fighter could be I'm a little surprised they made the game instead of doing a port / re-release for that years game instead of making what seems like a new game engine / assets.

I think anything BL ( or a spiritual successor / Sequel ) wanted to accomplish is already satisfied by what we have now. FighterZ for anything remotely serious, Xenoverse 2 is our current sandbox, and Kakarot is the RPG ( though I would say Kakarot could use some more fresh ideas personally )
Ehh id gave to disagree. The Budokai series and FighterZ have little to nothing in common. FighterZ story was kinda boring and half-assed compared to any of the Budokai game and it didn't have the extra modes or fun factor Budokai (aside from the gameplay) had. The Budokai games while aimed at casuals , was just a better game series overall.
That's fair, I can see the argument for something like that. I guess really what I wanted to get across is it sort of feels like that Dragon Ball "Feel" is matched pretty well right now. I suppose it's just a little unfair to compare Budokai to FighterZ since they're aimed at different audiences with different goals. But do you think that if they released a game similar to Budokai would there be that much of a point to have it around? Not that I'm necessarily against one, but it just seems like our fighting itch is scratched for the foreseeable future, which I'm okay with because I'd like to see Dragon Ball start to experiment more with what it can do.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:00 pm

Modern_Dingus wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:35 pm
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:40 pm

That's fair, I can see the argument for something like that. I guess really what I wanted to get across is it sort of feels like that Dragon Ball "Feel" is matched pretty well right now. I suppose it's just a little unfair to compare Budokai to FighterZ since they're aimed at different audiences with different goals. But do you think that if they released a game similar to Budokai would there be that much of a point to have it around? Not that I'm necessarily against one, but it just seems like our fighting itch is scratched for the foreseeable future, which I'm okay with because I'd like to see Dragon Ball start to experiment more with what it can do.
Well for one FighterZ is strictly on a 2D plane no? and I think Budokai is 2.5D so there's a difference in gameplay I would think. It honestly depends on how much time and resources/Love they put into a game like that. Is the Dimps that worked on Budokai 1-3 and Burst Limit the same employees who worked on Xenoverse?
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:39 am

I bought and loved Burst Limit. It looked awesome at the time (and still holds up) and I liked how they tried to make the game more like the anime with the events you can trigger mid-fight. (Although I do prefer to turn them off during vs matches). The music is awesome as well.
It felt like a cool remake of Budokai 1.

And that's exactly the problem. Coming after Budokai 3 people, including me, expected more of the roster. We waited so long for a decent roster with plenty of Buu saga and movie villains so the roster in this game felt like a step back. Adding to that, the game was clearly rushed as seen during the credits in which we see a lot of 'unused' cutscenes that should (and probably would) have been part of the main campaign. If the game spend a little more time in development it would feel a lot more polished.