Copyright Law and Dragon Ball GB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Copyright Law and Dragon Ball GB

Post by Adamant » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:57 pm

Aim wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:07 am Couldn’t mark technically have a case for suing Toei for being responsible for taking away his income? So even if it does take a lot of money to sue, couldn’t he equally sue to have double the money given back to him for the damages they caused?
If your income is 100% dependent on you using the property of someone else without their permission OR objections, you should probably reconsider your career.

(Also this Mark dude is a literal bootleg artist that seemed to unironically believe bootlegging was completely legal, his understanding of the law is kinda lacking).
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:15 pm

Adamant wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:57 pm
Aim wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:07 am Couldn’t mark technically have a case for suing Toei for being responsible for taking away his income? So even if it does take a lot of money to sue, couldn’t he equally sue to have double the money given back to him for the damages they caused?
If your income is 100% dependent on you using the property of someone else without their permission OR objections, you should probably reconsider your career.

(Also this Mark dude is a literal bootleg artist that seemed to unironically believe bootlegging was completely legal, his understanding of the law is kinda lacking).
Yeah I forgot about the T-shirts, but going after videos that are fair use isn’t right.

Overall Toei is a sack of shit. If it weren’t for the fans they would be nowhere. It has taken fans doing hours of work to correct their dog shit releases.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:24 pm

KingVegetto wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:25 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:47 pm
KingVegetto wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:45 am

Not remotely the same thing, Mark isn't a "thief", that's just ludicrous. It's not like he's just uploading full episodes of the show or anything like that, THAT would be stealing.
What do you call someone using someone else's stuff without their consent?

I've watched, and enjoyed, a large portion of Mark's channel over the years. But he was in fact using something he didn't own, on a platform he doesn't own. And that's why it was able to be taken down so easily.
Have you never heard of fair use? By that logic no Youtuber is EVER allowed to review a movie by using clips from it because they are a "thief", that does not make any kind of logical sense in any universe :?

He was taken down so easily because Youtube are too cowardly to stand up to big corporations.

Sorry but your claims about Mark are not remotely true in the slightest.
As in if you leave you car running on the street warming up in winter, I can hop in and take it for a ride?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:49 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:24 pm

I've watched, and enjoyed, a large portion of Mark's channel over the years. But he was in fact using something he didn't own, on a platform he doesn't own. And that's why it was able to be taken down so easily.
Have you never heard of fair use? By that logic no Youtuber is EVER allowed to review a movie by using clips from it because they are a "thief", that does not make any kind of logical sense in any universe :?

He was taken down so easily because Youtube are too cowardly to stand up to big corporations.

As in if you leave you car running on the street warming up in winter, I can hop in and take it for a ride?
I dunno, can you?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:01 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:24 pm

That's the most nonsensical comparison i've ever heard :?

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:53 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:49 pm I dunno, can you?
KingVegetto wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:01 pm That's the most nonsensical comparison i've ever heard :?
Apparently, around the corner from where I live multiple cars parked on street warming up have been stolen. What other reason is there for that sort of behavior?

I mean, we all understand the concept, right? We all know that thee companies and artists own the works they produce. And the concept of using someone's stuff without their permission. We know that there's a lot of looking the other way happening here. We know no one has said "Use whatever you want, wherever you want, as much as you want" in regards to their stuff.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:40 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:53 pm
KingVegetto wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:01 pm That's the most nonsensical comparison i've ever heard :?
Apparently, around the corner from where I live multiple cars parked on street warming up have been stolen. What other reason is there for that sort of behavior?

I mean, we all understand the concept, right? We all know that thee companies and artists own the works they produce. And the concept of using someone's stuff without their permission. We know that there's a lot of looking the other way happening here. We know no one has said "Use whatever you want, wherever you want, as much as you want" in regards to their stuff.
Wow you really don't seem to understand the concept of fair use :shock:

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:12 pm

KingVegetto wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:40 pm

To be fair, Japan and most countries don't either, so he's not alone with that

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:37 am

Aim wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:15 pm

Yeah I forgot about the T-shirts, but going after videos that are fair use isn’t right.

Overall Toei is a sack of shit. If it weren’t for the fans they would be nowhere. It has taken fans doing hours of work to correct their dog shit releases.
Toei doesn't need criminals like Mark in order to make tons of money

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:14 am

Jord wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:37 am

Since when is Mark a criminal?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:19 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:14 am

Since when is Mark a criminal?
Since he started selling unauthorized merchandise.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:22 am

Criminal is a strong word.

I have been reading what you've wrote guys and the only thing I can say is: I love parody content, which according to me it has always been copyright free. Making money from YT views in a video with jokes that you thought yourself is probably fair, selling Tshirts or plushies with a parody image of a copyright character, probably not...

Mexico is the king of bootleg products. And most of the times, Japan seems to be ok with it, except for that one time when we had a copyright issue when the Jiren VS Goku fight was being transmited as a Box fight in a sports bar so they were charging a significative fee, by showins an anime episode that was freely available for everybody https://www.deviantart.com/saiya6cit/ar ... -866166297

Why is YT becoming so hard about it? I don't know it seems like the new world order wants to tax everything. They remind me of the pixies from fairlyoddparents when they took away all the fun in the worlds....

In the meantime a mexican youtuber has decided to stop using toei animation images completely and instead using "copyright free images" to tell the dragon ball story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THqtbuOMKMg

as a way to protest against Youtube

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:27 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:22 am Why is YT becoming so hard about it? I don't know it seems like the new world order wants to tax everything. They remind me of the pixies from fairlyoddparents when they took away all the fun in the worlds....
Because YT has become so gigantic without any serious competition. While it started as a mostly creative outlet has turned into a big business where large corporations have gotten more power. From companies like TOEI to American companies such as NBC. They use YT as an actual outlet to make money. Google doesn't want to lose those big names so they got more strict in striking down copyright offenders.

Besides, it's fairly easy to scan videos for copyrighted content due to technology advancements. Seeing as how YT values a client such as Toei more than Mark it's really easy to rule in favor of the copyright owner. When TOEI would leave Youtube, both Google and YT visitors would care. When Mark's channel shuts down a lot less people would care.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:11 pm

If you take away the fans, Toei loses significant revenue.

Also, criminal is a really disgusting way of describing someone who took a character from a franchise and used it on some t shirts.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:01 pm

KingVegetto wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:40 pm

It doesn't matter what the law says. Cuz, ye kno, the law also says they can sue Mark and anyone else in oblivion for using the copyright in certain ways as well. Some companies just look the other way when someone infringes.

And like the other poster pointed out, different countries have different laws regarding copyright.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:03 pm

Aim wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:11 pm

Also, criminal is a really disgusting way of describing someone who took a character from a franchise and used it on some t shirts.
Still accurate, though. Nothing changes that. Not sure about the laws where he lives, but some places would have given him jail time.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:10 am

If they force some youtube channels to close down, it won't have any significant impact on their profits. Heck, maybe they will sell more officially licensed shirts instead of people buying bootlegs.

And yeah, "took a character from a franchise and used it on some t shirts" is a cute way of acknowledging that someone breaks the law while leeching on someone else's IP for monetary gain.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:44 am

Jord wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:10 am

If they force some youtube channels to close down, it won't have any significant impact on their profits. Heck, maybe they will sell more officially licensed shirts instead of people buying bootlegs.

And yeah, "took a character from a franchise and used it on some t shirts" is a cute way of acknowledging that someone breaks the law while leeching on someone else's IP for monetary gain.
Even if you're right, which you probably are, you still come off as harsh and kind of a dick.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:45 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:03 pm

Still accurate, though. Nothing changes that. Not sure about the laws where he lives, but some places would have given him jail time.
Lots of places would have jailed Mike and some of us as well, doesn’t mean it’s right? What’s this appeal to authority some people have?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:09 am

Aim wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:45 am
Anonymous Friend wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:03 pm

Lots of places would have jailed Mike and some of us as well, doesn’t mean it’s right? What’s this appeal to authority some people have?
Yeah, I won't even reply to that whataboutism. This is not about others. It's about Mark.

Strictly looking at Mark I feel it's wrong to make money by bootlegging other people's creations. It doesn't' matter if that creation belongs to an individual or a corporation. It's wrong and just lazy. If you want to make money come up with your own stuff instead of just copying someone else's hard work and leech from their success.