Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 101 - DBZ movie 13, episodes 289-291

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 101 - DBZ movie 13, episodes 289-291 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:59 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:47 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:53 am One of the writers confirmed that Gohan quit fighting, so he "lost" his form, he was portrayed as a scholar and a family man for most of the show. They were planning on bringing the Super-Gohan back by the S-17 arc, but that was scrapped. So the thought process behind it was that his new lifestyle made him lose access to it, so he only had SS.
So basically the same as in Super? Interesting, I don't think I'd heard that about GT Gohan before. Didn't the GT Perfect Files basically say the opposite though? That he trained and "re-unlocked" Super Saiyan, whatever that means. I remember a bunch of fans thinking he'd somehow surpassed Mystic, and was a "Mystic Super Saiyan" because of that quote.

I'm sure the Blue Water dub had a line from Vegeta that Gohan had trained. Goten and Trunks are complaining about having to go to space and ask why Gohan doesn't have to, to which Vegeta replies "he's not the one neglecting his training". I'm sure that line is in that dub, although I don't think it's in the Japanese version, at least not the exact line.

Honestly one of my biggest gripes with GT is how little they utilised Gohan. How badass would it have been if Baby had tried provoking him to turn Super Saiyan, only to discover that Gohan was Mystic and wouldn't transform like the others, making him much harder to enslave.
Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah, GT PF contradicts the show and its writers, and the implications of that involve contradicting the source material and the point of the ultimate form/state.

I don't remember that line being in the original japanese version, but I better leave that to the DB Rewatch team who are doing a great job, I guess this monday we'll get the first GT rewatch review.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 101 - DBZ movie 13, episodes 289-291

Post by Ssj3Engels » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:12 pm

I FINALLY got around to watching ALL 13 DBZ movies! Yay!

The movie that wrapped it all up wasn't so bad, but it wasn't very good either. Tapion is an interesting (anti?) hero, but I feel he was underused (or could have been used better). Hildegarn's design is great (as are most of the villains from the original 13 movies), but his ''personality'', well...let's say he manages to beat Broly himself in ''flatness'', character-wise.

Now that I remember, the backstory about the warlocks was quite interesting and gives the movie a sort of dark tone. As usual, it was nothing too complex, of course (but we're talking DB, after all). And ''Hoi'' (was that the main warlock's name?) is obviously inspired by Babidi (as was Janemba by Majin Buu himself in the previous movie).

Overall, midly enjoyable to me. At least the Z movies did not end on a bad note, so as to say.

P.S.: Kikuchi OST was very good (but not great) this time.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 101 - DBZ movie 13, episodes 289-291

Post by Ssj3Engels » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:52 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:12 pm I FINALLY got around to watching ALL 13 DBZ movies! Yay!

The movie that wrapped it all up wasn't so bad, but it wasn't very good either. Tapion is an interesting (anti?) hero, but I feel he was underused (or could have been used better). Hildegarn's design is great (as are most of the villains from the original 13 movies), but his ''personality'', well...let's say he manages to beat Broly himself in ''flatness'', character-wise.

Now that I remember, the backstory about the warlocks was quite interesting and gives the movie a sort of dark tone. As usual, it was nothing too complex, of course (but we're talking DB, after all). And ''Hoi'' (was that the main warlock's name?) is obviously inspired by Babidi (as was Janemba by Majin Buu himself in the previous movie).

Overall, midly enjoyable to me. At least the Z movies did not end on a bad note, so as to say.

P.S.: Kikuchi OST was very good (but not great) this time.
I think I meant to say/(wrote?) "mildly".