Why are so many DB creators becoming subject to Toei's wrath?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Why are so many DB creators becoming subject to Toei's wrath?

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:12 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:17 pm Okay, two things:

1. WHO THE FUCK IS THIS SHO PRO GUY YOU PEOPLE KEEP MENTIONING?
2. Dunno if you guys have seen this, but TNM posted another update video, and you can view it right here.
Shopro are the IP owners of Pokemon.

This story has caught on big, enough so that this has been named "the Shopro method", though this is nothing new in the legal world. It's a scummy legal practice by itself that's built on intimidating people into giving into the demands of the claimant with pressing and mounting potential legal fees.

It's even more of a dirty tactic here because this company is making sue claims via small Japanese courts instead of from the creator/audience's primary residence like YT's recent policies would ordinarily have mandated. And because they're doing so like this against a small creator, the risk of losing a legal battle on Japanese grounds due to their archaic and essentially non-existent fair use protections is too great for the small creator to really do anything.

It's scummy, dirty, petty, spiteful, unnecessary, corrupt, and something that needs to be addressed at large lest this set a precedent for Japanese companies to be able to continue to bully foreigners acting and creating in good faith into complying with their demands.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:19 am

I’m genuinely curious what the people who took Toei’s side earlier in the thread have to say about this recent development.

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:13 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:19 am I’m genuinely curious what the people who took Toei’s side earlier in the thread have to say about this recent development.
Well, one of them seems to be fine with it:
Adamant wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:01 am I'm preeeeeetty sure Youtube values the entirety of the Japanese Youtuber community far far more than the "community" of people that want to profit off videos that contain anime clips.
Don't know about the rest though: hopefully most people here realize how scummy this is.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:47 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:21 pm Recently, many Dragon Ball creators have gotten copyright strike after copyright strike from Toei due to their content. It started off with Dragon Ball Absalon being cancelled and Deliverance being copyright claimed because it looks kinda like DBS Broly. Then some Dragon Ball fan manga creators were made examples out of. And now, Totally Not Mark on YouTube just got 155 of his videos taken down, losing three years of hard work. Nine of them were drawing videos, and he tries to make all of his videos fall under fair use, since they're already transformative. (Link to video in response here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaeqXWzaizY)

But why? Why is Toei doing this now? What do they get out of destroying the livelihoods of several people? Why were they cool with it when Dragon Ball was essentially dead? I think this is unjust, and those who have suffered under Toei's wrath deserve justice.
Toei had probably had enough with non-affiliated people making money over their intellectual property. YouTube is paying these ordinary folks money by their viewings, and Toei owns the rights of these pictures of the characters, backgrounds and music - so they see it (and I agree) as theft of their works. Had these folks wouldn't be making a buck as we do here in forums, Toei wouldn't mind.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:58 am

I'm really worried about how aggressive these Japanese companies have been getting about this lately.

The recent Shopro debacle is a classic case of legal intimidation via piling on claims one after another, one that is hard to counter if you're an individual or small group compared to being a fellow corporate giant.

And the core problem is that by YT's ToS, they should be going through the creators' country of residence for their fair use procedures and take them to court on that front, not that of Japan itself. It's utter bullsh*t that Suede had to pay out for every single view if there were any Japanese views of his content at all.

We had a small victory against the corporations with Mark and Toei's case, but now we've entered dark waters again with Suede and Shopro. I really hope YT will give geoblocking to all of its content creators, because having to pay out for everything for even partial Japanese consumption is just way too scummy of a business/legal practice.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:53 pm

Geraldo wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:47 am
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:21 pm Recently, many Dragon Ball creators have gotten copyright strike after copyright strike from Toei due to their content. It started off with Dragon Ball Absalon being cancelled and Deliverance being copyright claimed because it looks kinda like DBS Broly. Then some Dragon Ball fan manga creators were made examples out of. And now, Totally Not Mark on YouTube just got 155 of his videos taken down, losing three years of hard work. Nine of them were drawing videos, and he tries to make all of his videos fall under fair use, since they're already transformative. (Link to video in response here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaeqXWzaizY)

But why? Why is Toei doing this now? What do they get out of destroying the livelihoods of several people? Why were they cool with it when Dragon Ball was essentially dead? I think this is unjust, and those who have suffered under Toei's wrath deserve justice.
Toei had probably had enough with non-affiliated people making money over their intellectual property. YouTube is paying these ordinary folks money by their viewings, and Toei owns the rights of these pictures of the characters, backgrounds and music - so they see it (and I agree) as theft of their works. Had these folks wouldn't be making a buck as we do here in forums, Toei wouldn't mind.
So do you just think the entire concept of "Fair Use" is a bad thing or what?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:26 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:53 pm
Geraldo wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:47 am

So do you just think the entire concept of "Fair Use" is a bad thing or what?
I don't think so, but I do believe that Toei, and Japan in general, needs a mentality check. As a lot of people here have been saying, Japan's stance on copyright is outdated and has not changed much, but it must be modernized. There should be a global copyright system that allows fair use for all countries (and if it does eventually come into existence, watch how lobbyists in certain countries will try to oppose this.)
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:20 pm

Most of copyright law was written for an era in which the only way for a work to reach a large audience was if it had the backing of a large corporation that can afford a team of lawyers. We're definitely no longer in that era, and the laws are taking a very long time to catch up.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:36 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:20 pm Most of copyright law was written for an era in which the only way for a work to reach a large audience was if it had the backing of a large corporation that can afford a team of lawyers. We're definitely no longer in that era, and the laws are taking a very long time to catch up.
Not to mention that fair use itself has also evolved in the ways it has become spread out. The original intention was to protect free speech in the U.S., to protect the right of people to speak out against/for whatever entity they chose no matter if it was government or corporate if their discourse required using otherwise copyrighted materials.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:52 am

dva_raza wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:05 pm
Skar wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:06 pm I could wrong but I think those definitions of parody refer to something like Airplane or Scary Movie that recreate or reference scenes from other works to parody them but not reusing existing footage. There are some parodies like Kung Pow and Kung Faux that voice-over old martial arts movies but I assume they had to obtain a license.
That's good point I'll look into that
Getting back to you on this, I checked, and I see that these movies, at least the first one for sure, had the director of the original colaborate with the guy who made the parody (so obviously they had permission).
This means that no, those are not examples of the kind of parody that those articles about fair use are talking about, because “fair use” is a defense for someone who doesn’t have the permission, (that’s basically the whole point of it).
They are though a good example of a parody that is basically a remix done with the original footage.

Which brings me to the point that was being argued with others, that I also wanted to clarify, about whether a parody (in relation to fair use) could use the original material of the work that's being mocked, or only the idea of it in order to be considered for the fair use defense, and I found clear examples in which original clips were used for parodies:

One is a parody very similar in style to Abridged:

The G.I. Joe PSAs. It’s basically a remix and redub of the original material made by this guy named Eric Fensler. In 2004 Hasbro issued him a cease and desist letter claiming that his videos violated copyright. He complied and removed the videos from his site but by then the videos had gone viral on the internet even if this was pre-Youtube. The Hasbro lawyers ended up backing down and it's suggested in the article I took this from that it was probably because "their case was weak based on grounds of the protection of parodies under the First Amendment". So that guy has had the videos on this site to this day.

And this other example:

"A pro-life video organization created two antiabortion videos by borrowing video clips from a pro-choice video and juxtaposing them with actual abortion footage. Important factors: The court characterized the pro-life videos as parodies despite the fact they did not meet the classic definition of a parody—something that humorously mimics or ridicules another’s work. In a unique holding, the court held that a parody need not be humorous, but may merely comment on, or criticize the original."
https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/cases/

So considering those, and also the fact that there’s no indication anywhere that the term “material” mentioned in the context of the “4 factors to consider for fair use”, is referred to the tangible material ONLY when speaking about a transformative educational work like Mark's, but not when talking about a parody, it think it can be assumed that the original material, whether it’s a small portion or an extensive one, is allowed to use for a parody. So in conclusion of the question raised by jjgp1112 and Masenko, the Funimation version done “for the Saban” whatever that is, is not a parody because it’s not mocking the original, it’s just a different version/edit of a dub. While Abridged is a parody based on the current definition of what parody is: "imitates in exaggerated, comedic fashion, often serving as a criticism or commentary on the original work or the artist", basically a mockery of the original, which doesn't say anywhere that has to be either analytical nor that it has to restrain from using the original material to be considered a parody.

But, again, if actually taken to court, Team Four Star would have an almost zero chance of winning when first 3 factors lean almost entirely against them, and most of all, when they wouldn’t be having that battle in America but in Japan where there is no “fair use”.

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:01 am Looking at the exact details, Sho Pro is very heavily abusing legal loopholes to undermine someone by making court sues for videos individually and sending each individual notice to YT to bypass their copyright system.
Maybe I missed something in this particular case, but I’m not sure I understand why or how is this them abusing loopholes?

I'm saying it beacuse it doesn’t seem really different from what would’ve either way been the next option by Youtube’s own process in this situation. Which is (at least 3 years ago I know for a fact that that’s how it worked):
After a claim is apealed by the youtuber I think twice or 3 times, the only next option for the copyright owner given by Youtube, is to take the youtuber to court, (or do nothing), the latter being the outcome that happened with a friend who got a few copyright claims (although nothing to do with Japan), but all of which he appealed, and in his case nothing happened, the claims were just withdrawn and the videos got monetized again.
Yes, clearly this Shopro thing is pushing for the lawsuit, but my point is it doesnt seem like they are doing a “dirty tactic” but just (somehow) skipping to what would’ve been offered to them by youtube either way..

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:58 am really hope YT will give geoblocking to all of its content creators
It would be ideal, but this Suede guy said, and I think he has a point, that that could also lead to piracy, and that makes this a problematic idea, maybe that’s the reason why Youtube haven’t used that policy (which as Mark said, is not new) in the context of copyright issues before this exception with him.

I think a solution would have been for Youtube to try to make a sort of deal with these anime companies similar to the one they made with Warner Music years ago, which allows all of those people doing covers of songs being able to upoad them legally while revenue is shared and everybody wins. But considering Youtube has been sued constantly over the years for copyright infringement over what their users upload, them not “standing up” to these guys right now is understandable, although if this makes enough noise maybe something can happen?
But for how things stand now, I think the best is for anime youtubers who have relied on using clips for their videos, should simply come to terms with the idea of making their videos in a different way, at least for now, because as unnecessary and petty it is for these companies to do this, it’s technically their right.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:07 am

The legal loophole with Shopro and Suede is the fact that they are making all these copyright court claims in small local Japanese courts rather than using YT's own system or trying to go through the creator's own country of residence and their court systems like YT's policies have dictated lately.

It's a very common and very dirty (being technically legal doesn't make it right, BTW) legal tactic to get smaller defendants to back down due to potential mounting legal costs by basically spamming them with several smaller cases and get them to settle and pay out of pocket instead of go through a protracted legal battle they're likely to lose due to not having the larger resources of the corporate entity. It's a very dick move to make, one that companies have been using against individuals and small groups for a while now.

And now Shopro is testing the waters, successfully in this case, of bullying smaller YT creators into paying up.

It's just not right. These greedy asshole fossils of the media industry are getting way too bold for my liking.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:32 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:07 am
It's just not right. These greedy asshole fossils of the media industry are getting way too bold for my liking.
Where did they get the balls...
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:55 am

Another thing to note about the Shopro-Suede case is that, under normal circumstances, the kind of rapid-fire claims that they made would often be thrown out of most courts as an attempt to force a settlement instead of actual due process.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:19 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:07 am The legal loophole with Shopro and Suede is the fact that they are making all these copyright court claims in small local Japanese courts rather than using YT's own system or trying to go through the creator's own country of residence and their court systems like YT's policies have dictated lately.

So..again.
The copyright holder filing a lawsuit against the youtuber, whether it’s a SLAPP, (that’s actually irrelevant), is literally and officially the next step UNDER Youtubes counterclaim system.

It is petty, I agree. But to say it is some form of mafia style tactic or that they abused loopholes is just inaccurate.
They did pretty much the same thing that they could’ve done and would’ve done even through youtube, is my point.

This is what happens:

And regarding country residence, there’s no reason for them to go through the “creators own country”, their copyright is in their territory. The only scenario in which they would had to go through a legal battle in the creators country is if his videos haven't been showing in Japan all along.

It's a very common and very dirty (being technically legal doesn't make it right, BTW) legal tactic to get smaller defendants to back down due to potential mounting legal costs by basically spamming them with several smaller cases and get them to settle and pay out of pocket instead of go through a protracted legal battle they're likely to lose due to not having the larger resources of the corporate entity.

That is not a thing that happened.

They filed a lawsuit, not several small ones.

And filing a lawsuit to “scare” someone from doing something ilegal instead of actually going to court, is not a “very dirty tactic”, at least it’s not any “dirtier” than just filing lawsuit with the actual intention of both parties going to court, in which the youtuber will most certainly be destroyed.

Another thing to note about the Shopro-Suede case is that, under normal circumstances, the kind of rapid-fire claims that they made would often be thrown out of most courts as an attempt to force a settlement instead of actual due process.
Don’t really see the relevance in this.

Anyway, my whole point is that as I said already, yes, it's very petty for a big company to go after a small creator who's using their clips, cause they aren't really affected, but they DO affect the creator, massively. All of that I agree with.
But I think it’s kinda important to note that vilifying the opposite party for exaggerating is not really wise, it’s better to think what you did wrong and why so you can move forward in a way that avoids the posiility of becoming a victim of a company who exaggerates if that's what they choose to do. And this guy acknowledges himself that even if this was a fight against an Amercian company, he would still have a difficult time fighting under the fair use defense, that suggests that he wasn't transformative enough.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:58 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 pm I think this internet generation just became waaaaaaay too used to violating the law, to the point of having a severely warped perception of what the law actually is. We lived in a golden era where the internet was too obscure to be as widely policed as it is now. I'm not going to act like I'm above that sort of thing with my gigabytes of pirated historical monographs and RPG sourcebooks, but let's not act surprised when the chickens come home to roost.

I'll parrot many other people in saying that a LOT of anime YouTubers are flat-out stealing shit and would not have their cases hold up in court. Not that any of them would even go to court because a lot of these "wraths" are the result of algorithms in the first place, because all but the absolute biggest YouTubers are tiny gnats on the scale of any notable media company.
Nice 👍 I wouldn’t worry about this I’m more curious if what Mark said about Toei contacting him for work is true or not? Now that’s something I wish he would address

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:09 am

KentMan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:58 pm Nice 👍 I wouldn’t worry about this I’m more curious if what Mark said about Toei contacting him for work is true or not? Now that’s something I wish he would address
If I understand it right, the company that contacted him was Toei Animation Inc., which, despite the very similar name, is not the same company as Toei Animation Co. Ltd., but a tiny subsidiary that handles the licensing of Toei's properties in certain English and Spanish-speaking territories.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:40 am

Adamant wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:09 am
If I understand it right, the company that contacted him was Toei Animation Inc., which, despite the very similar name, is not the same company as Toei Animation Co. Ltd., but a tiny subsidiary that handles the licensing of Toei's properties in certain English and Spanish-speaking territories.
Ah I see now the American partner of Toei not Toei itself. I thank you kindly for the info another question did Mark actually address himself selling bootleg t shirts?

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:57 pm

Fair Use doesn't exist in Japanese Copyright Law (at least not like it does in other countries' Copyright Laws), so that's largely the root of all of this.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:32 pm

John Pannozzi wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:57 pm Fair Use doesn't exist in Japanese Copyright Law (at least not like it does in other countries' Copyright Laws), so that's largely the root of all of this.
I’m pretty certain someone mentioned that Fair Use was a defense that would not hold up in court.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:57 am

KentMan wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:32 pm
John Pannozzi wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:57 pm Fair Use doesn't exist in Japanese Copyright Law (at least not like it does in other countries' Copyright Laws), so that's largely the root of all of this.
I’m pretty certain someone mentioned that Fair Use was a defense that would not hold up in court.
Ultimately, it depends on how the courts judge the usage of said copyrighted content. In terms of the kind that YouTube's content creators tend to portray, regions of the world with somewhat similar copyright and fair use laws to the U.S. (from which YouTube itself is based and has stood its ground on regarding foreign companies needing to judge with) will generally side with them since they aren't simply using infringing content and leaving it at that but creating an actual unique product in the vein of official movie reviews, etc.

However, that's not to say further improvements can't be made to these laws. Not just Japan, but all countries need updated policies tackling internet-based content in general due to how outdated they are, to the point that some of the latest updated policies concern RADIO BROADCAST HIJACKING IN THE 1990s in light of things like Burger King using Twitch's donation system to get cheap advertisement that's not technically illegal.

Same vein here, but in the other direction where in some places the content of this thread's topic would technically be illegal but really shouldn't be in this day and age where this type of content is quickly becoming the norm for older internet-consuming audiences to consume. Copyright is slowly becoming somewhat obsolete, at least the old standard that some companies have been trying to upkeep so fervently, in the wake of the newer generations' standards.