Should the psuedo 3d art style be used for the franchise in general going forward?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Should the psuedo 3d art style be used for the franchise in general going forward?

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:58 pm

https://youtu.be/oDgTdh_uM44

The semi-3d art style for the series seems to compliment the art style and enhances the fight. Also the colours are a lot more vivid and fresh with this technique. Do you think that this should be the standard for the tv series in general going forward if DB: Super (tv series) were to ever return and employ story arcs from the manga.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Should the psuedo 3d art style be used for the franchise in general going forward?

Post by Desassina » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:05 pm

I don't want the franchise to go forward more than it has. The technology is good to hire more artists from video games, or for more video games to be produced under Toriyama's style. Perhaps Cell won't be missing due to his spots :lol:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Should the psuedo 3d art style be used for the franchise in general going forward?

Post by Yuji » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:37 pm

Maybe if they improve the detail on environments and tweak the fps, sure. But ideally I would like them to keep on experimenting with different approaches if they're not keen on returning to the style of the Z anime.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:38 pm

A good blend of CGI and hand-drawn animation needs to be established. Look at Broly's new film, the animation there was superb.

If that standard can be realized on a smaller level for a TV show, that'd be great IMO.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:25 am

I rather they just keep experimenting with 2D animation again. This is a neat experiment but not my preferred look for Dragon Ball.
And fully CG anime's don't usually look as good on a TV budget and production schedule as standard 2D animation does.
I know Beastars is widely considered an exception to that rule but I'm not familiar with that show to pass out judgement.
Best case scenario is we get the Shintani style on TV like how Toei did that ad for the Annecy festival using his art style.
https://youtu.be/9d6ls6rlmUE
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:17 am

I could see it happening for movies, but for TV shows? Hell no, the budget is way too small. It will end up looking worse than the early DBS episodes.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:27 pm

It honestly doesn't matter to me as long as it isn't the souless, glossy Yamamuro style we were stuck with for so long. What's striking to me is how every single frame of the trailers we've seen so far looks good, like a manga panel drawn by Toriyama. I'm not super thrilled by how it looks in motion, though... 3D doesn't look very good with such low framerates, but I think that's something they could work at. However, it would probably look worse with fluid motion like a PS3 cutscene or something.

Better yet, just hire Arc System Works to animate the whole damn thing. Not identical to FighterZ but rather with a feature film budget and without console hardware restraints. I think that would unironically look better than anything aside from hand-drawn animation thus far. Even with FighterZ on Switch I forget I'm looking at 3D models which can't even be said for Super Hero.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:50 am

While I don't mind the occasional 3D for movie projects, I think the show should stick with 2d animation, preferably in the style used in DBS Broly. I think art styles that emphasize the kinetic movement of the fights.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:25 am

Thanos wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:27 pm It honestly doesn't matter to me as long as it isn't the souless, glossy Yamamuro style we were stuck with for so long. What's striking to me is how every single frame of the trailers we've seen so far looks good, like a manga panel drawn by Toriyama. I'm not super thrilled by how it looks in motion, though... 3D doesn't look very good with such low framerates, but I think that's something they could work at. However, it would probably look worse with fluid motion like a PS3 cutscene or something.

Better yet, just hire Arc System Works to animate the whole damn thing. Not identical to FighterZ but rather with a feature film budget and without console hardware restraints. I think that would unironically look better than anything aside from hand-drawn animation thus far. Even with FighterZ on Switch I forget I'm looking at 3D models which can't even be said for Super Hero.
I can't see Toei doing that. They seem to like keeping everything close to the chest now for all anime projects, so they can better control the project. Hence why they quit their collaborations with Q-Tech (Kai 1.0) and Pony Canyon (Dragon Box/Z/GT) for remasters before they moved to doing that in-house.
Personally I'd love to see a 3D Dragon Ball movie that does some weird experimental type of animation, just like Sony did with "Into The Spider-Verse."
However I don't think Toei is willing to spend Sony pictures money on Dragon Ball.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:12 pm

Ehh, I don't like it. It reeks of cheapness, which doesn't make sense to me because Dragon Ball should be rich as fuck.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:54 pm

Nah. "Video game cutscene aesthetic" is the only art direction this series has gone with that I like even less than the Episode of Bardock/Battle of Gods/Super artstyle.

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:09 pm

I feel the video game cutscene aesthetic, especially this blatant, never looks good. I hope they don't keep doing this in the future.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:32 am

No, I would prefer for the TV series to be drawn and animated like Super Broly. Experimental but staying true to Dragon Ball's 2D roots. I also have no problem with the video game aesthetic, but I think the video games and anime should have their own distinct looks without trying to look like the other.

I'm not sold on how Super Hero looks and hope after the movie has come and gone TOEI will leave it as a one-off experiment and a curiosity rather than a mainstay for the anime, or even the movies specifically.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:36 pm

Absolutely not, it's butt ugly.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:53 am

Nah, leave it for One Piece. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ironixie

Post by Ironixie » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:00 pm

No, I think they hit a sweet spot when they did the Broly movie. Though, I don't think they're making a CGI animation because it's cheap or something, I think they're doing it because they're low on staff or something because of covid. A lot of animations at Toei have been pushed back a few times. Now that things are starting back up, they're going to need a lot of animators.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:11 pm

I feel it's less about COVID and more about following a trend. We've seen plenty of other franchises like Lupin, Saint Seiya, Pokemon and Dragon Quest get CGI movies in recent years. TOEI probably figured now is as good a time as any to test the waters with Dragon Ball.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:38 am

Desassina wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:05 pm I don't want the franchise to go forward more than it has. The technology is good to hire more artists from video games, or for more video games to be produced under Toriyama's style. Perhaps Cell won't be missing due to his spots :lol:
Jesus drawing those spots especially in animating must have been hell.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:32 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:58 pm https://youtu.be/oDgTdh_uM44

The semi-3d art style for the series seems to compliment the art style and enhances the fight. Also the colours are a lot more vivid and fresh with this technique. Do you think that this should be the standard for the tv series in general going forward if DB: Super (tv series) were to ever return and employ story arcs from the manga.
No. If that happens I stop watching the Dragon Ball anime.