Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 80 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 80 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:27 pm

PowerLevel Science wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:48 pm The most boring saga since 1984.

Toshotaraou must be replaced now.
can't even spell "shit" right
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:51 pm

The main problem here, if I may be so bold as to say this, is that the arc is a bit too ambitious in its thematic storytelling, but ultimately fails to make ends meet, by doing nothing with it and most importantly wasting too many pages on battle scenes. A lot of sub-themes and side stories unfold side by side, each of which is insufficiently developed in turn.

You have:
- the narrative of Elec's master plan, the link to the questions at Zuno and the role of OG-73 (tie in to the last arc)
- Granolah who wants revenge on Freeza
- the battle between Goku and Vegeta initiated by Beerus and Whis, to determine who is now the strongest fighter (and which technique is the most efficient)
- the role of Vegeta's next phase Ulta Ego, and what Beerus Vegata has learned exactly (remains vague, while this is the equivalent of Gokus UI, which is properly explained in the TOP)
- Granolah's backstory and the struggle between the Saiyans and his own race
- Granolah's tragic wish and its consequences on his lifespan
- The link between Goku and the Heaters through the past (Bardock)
- Gaz, one the most boring characters ever, getting way too much screentime
- And then a lot of fighting. And there will be a lot more fighting coming up.

But unless your story isn't brilliantly deconstructed in such a way that all those puzzle pieces more or less come together, there will be too many loose ends to be able to speak of a coherent story in retrospect. I have little fate they are going to pull such a story out of the bag.
Moro wasn't the most innovative arc and fairly filled with fan service, but at least that arc wasn't trying to be so ambitious. It had a simple, straightforward story with some unexpected plot twists and interesting cliffhangers that still had you looking forward to the next chapter. Even these basics i am missing in this overambitious story that has knocked itself out.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:23 am

I don't know. I'm still looking forward to the next chapter far more than I ever was with Moro. I don't know what's going to happen with the Heatas. I don't know what will come of Granolah. I don't know how they're going to beat Gas and I don't know how Vegeta's arc and Goku's connection with Bardock will tie into the ending notes. I'm curious about all this, and it's keeping me hooked on the next chapter while enjoying what's been in the running for DBS highlights on the action front from month to month.

I was honestly pretty tapped out of Moro for large stretches, especially since it felt like such a bog-standard beat-the-bad-guy plot for so long. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Even if this winds up falling short of its premise, it's a more interesting (and more enjoyable even in serialization) attempt for me than the relative safety of the previous storyline.

Don't get me wrong: I hope the next arc is more ambitious in both scope and structure, but this being what it is, I'm still quite on board for the ride.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:43 am

Considering how both Raditz's and Zarbon's scouters broke at 22,000, it is clear that "Berserker Gas" wasn't even at that level of power when fighting Bardock.

This last chapter was too dull for me.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:16 am

Geraldo wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:43 am Considering how both Raditz's and Zarbon's scouters broke at 22,000, it is clear that "Berserker Gas" wasn't even at that level of power when fighting Bardock.
Yeah, I don't understand what's the hype behind Bardock beating Gas when he was just a low-level soldier back then.

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:28 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:14 am I think it would be more intense if Gas learned about his limited life span and had to fight in a rush to prove his worth. That way we as readers could attach ourselves to his situation more. Especially if it was really short now (I think that will be revealed, but still it should've been done earlier)
Gas was not present when Granolah said the truth about his secret?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:37 pm

Nistarkail wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:28 pm
Xeogran wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:14 am I think it would be more intense if Gas learned about his limited life span and had to fight in a rush to prove his worth. That way we as readers could attach ourselves to his situation more. Especially if it was really short now (I think that will be revealed, but still it should've been done earlier)
He was, but somehow he doesn't seem to care about it now. I'm hoping this month's chapter will move the consequences of his wish.

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:37 pm
He was, but somehow he doesn't seem to care about it now. I'm hoping this month's chapter will move the consequences of his wish.
He will self-explode after hearing that he was exploited so badly.

Aside this, I'm really curious to know if Granolah and Monaito will go to the Earth and live/train together in order to fight the strongest army/being in the world.

I suppose also that Elec, with the answers taken from Zuno, is going to farm the biggest army in the universe and then invade the Earth (again). Let's see what happens!

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:54 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:16 am
Geraldo wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:43 am Considering how both Raditz's and Zarbon's scouters broke at 22,000, it is clear that "Berserker Gas" wasn't even at that level of power when fighting Bardock.
Yeah, I don't understand what's the hype behind Bardock beating Gas when he was just a low-level soldier back then.
Can't wait for "Fukkatsu No 'A'" where Appule is somehow revived and sets his eyes upon a revenge at Vegeta for his "humiliating defeat at his hands".

PowerLevel Science

Post by PowerLevel Science » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:50 pm

I need the final chapter of this arc right now.

I always have been a Toshotaraou sucker but this chapter was too dull for school.
Programmer, scientist, writer and journalist. English is not my first language.

Ultimate power levels list (2007 - 2022):

Power levels studied since 2007.

Chronology: coming soon.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:41 am

Gas vs Granolah is done and the focus is back on Goku, so I feel like the plot will pick up this chapter as it speeds towards the ending. That's Toyotaro's usual style, a long ass final battle, then suddenly multiple developments happen in a single chapter

Been happening since the Zamasu arc.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:16 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:41 am Gas vs Granolah is done and the focus is back on Goku
The focus was never on Goku. Granolah became a bystander, but Goku has been one from the start; quite unlike the previous arc, where his relevance was gradually built up over the course of the story through his relationship with Merus.

Pivoting to Goku now is something I can see happening, but is largely symptomatic of the constant lack of focus with these characters. If I'd read the past 100 pages with no context, you'd never have convinced me that this arc is titled "Granolah the Survivor".
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:38 pm

What broke the scouters was power levels rising rapidly.

If scouters were unable to scan power levels that were high, nobody stronger than Dodoria would ever know their power level, and as we saw, they clearly did.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:44 am

I'm a little confused, are we to discuss the new chapters in threads like this or in the overall all encompassing thread of DBS manga?

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:06 am

Nistarkail wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:44 pm
Xeogran wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:37 pm

He will self-explode after hearing that he was exploited so badly.

Aside this, I'm really curious to know if Granolah and Monaito will go to the Earth and live/train together in order to fight the strongest army/being in the world.

I suppose also that Elec, with the answers taken from Zuno, is going to farm the biggest army in the universe and then invade the Earth (again). Let's see what happens!
I think Monaito will die because his Dragon Balls are too powerful, though I hope not.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:48 pm

A chapter that had good art but nothing substantial I’m curious as to what Goku and the others will do about Gas