How can i meet a woman who likes anime / cosplay / Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: How can i meet a woman who likes anime / cosplay / Dragon Ball?

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:38 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:50 am You know who I'd like to see try to find a lady? Yamcha. Poor bastard could use a W for once in his miserable life.

no seriously, y'all niggas is bored.
Uh excuse me Yamucha has his niche being Chichi's "the other man."
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:41 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:09 am If you want to meet someone, you’d probably be better off using a dating website or something. There’s no reason to just walk up to someone you know nothing about with the intention/hope of starting a relationship. That’s weird. Doing it at a club or something would certainly be less awkward/potentially creepy than doing it a grocery store or what have you, but you’d still know nothing about that person.
The difference is, at a club being chatted up is almost to be expected, most other places like grocery stores, gyms, airports, etc aren't the kind of environments women are used to men approaching them with the intentions of wanting to date them, so it's more confusing, and often they just want to enjoy their day and don't want to have to think about relationships. Though, I don't think a lot of us would expect to find girls who like Dragon Ball at the club :lol:

I don't know much about dating apps, having been in a relationship since before they took off, but a lot of my single friends use them, and from what I've heard they're fine when it comes to meeting someone and being able to suss out their interests or hobbies beforehand.

In general though, I think it's better to find someone who loves you for you and accepts your interests or passions, rather than focus on them liking the same thing. If they like the same thing, great, but it's not a necessity.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:01 am

Nagyzöld wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:06 am

Just keep in mind that the love for Dragon Ball and cosplay isn't enough for a healthy and productive relationship. Maybe you find someone who you're getting along with really well, but is not big on anime, but if you're both open-minded you can share interests. If you want my two cents, I wasn't big on Dragon Ball until my ex, many years ago, who sparked an interest in me to the point where I became even more passionate. In my actual relationship, I'm the "sparkerer". People change.
yeah, trying to find a relationship with someone who shares the same interests as you isn't the most healthy thing to do, obviously you want to share some common interests whether it be media, hobbies, and that type of thing, but it shouldn't define your relationship i guess ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:12 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:41 am
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:09 am If you want to meet someone, you’d probably be better off using a dating website or something. There’s no reason to just walk up to someone you know nothing about with the intention/hope of starting a relationship. That’s weird. Doing it at a club or something would certainly be less awkward/potentially creepy than doing it a grocery store or what have you, but you’d still know nothing about that person.
The difference is, at a club being chatted up is almost to be expected, most other places like grocery stores, gyms, airports, etc aren't the kind of environments women are used to men approaching them with the intentions of wanting to date them, so it's more confusing, and often they just want to enjoy their day and don't want to have to think about relationships. Though, I don't think a lot of us would expect to find girls who like Dragon Ball at the club :lol:

I don't know much about dating apps, having been in a relationship since before they took off, but a lot of my single friends use them, and from what I've heard they're fine when it comes to meeting someone and being able to suss out their interests or hobbies beforehand.

In general though, I think it's better to find someone who loves you for you and accepts your interests or passions, rather than focus on them liking the same thing. If they like the same thing, great, but it's not a necessity.
If you randomly bring up Dragon Ball in the club, girls will think you're a nerd. Clubs are more for hooking up and not for anything serious.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:16 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:12 am

If you randomly bring up Dragon Ball in the club, girls will think you're a nerd. Clubs are more for hooking up and not for anything serious.
I…..I don’t think that was Ireland’s point?!?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:49 am

So wait, you're saying women are shallow and only fuck non-nerds? Because one's nerdiness makes them unacceptable for casual sex?

Even putting aside the weird portrait you're trying to paint of women, who the fuck would want to fuck someone who turned you down for being a fucking nerd? How is that not a tremendous turn off?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:44 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:49 am

So wait, you're saying women are shallow and only fuck non-nerds? Because one's nerdiness makes them unacceptable for casual sex?

Even putting aside the weird portrait you're trying to paint of women, who the fuck would want to fuck someone who turned you down for being a fucking nerd? How is that not a tremendous turn off?
Women aren't shallow - people are shallow. Case in point, the whole second paragraph of your post - men wanting casual sex from a woman they'd ordinarily despise. When it comes to casual sex most people make that decision on the more shallow, immediate criteria. For instance, Bulma tried to proposition a guy five minutes after he bragged about slaughtering aliens and Krillin nearly screwed over the entire universe because a robot kissed him! :D

Having lived with five women in New York City for the past half year I can say that street harassment is definitely a problem - but what they say they hate is the disrespect as opposed to the interaction in and of itself. They like respectful compliments from someone they could see themselves with, especially since New York City folks are extremely cold and aloof and are only ever outwardly nice and complimentary when they're trying to scam you.

It's the difference between a Krillin and a Master Roshi, you see.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:33 pm

Lol what is this thread. I'll try to help in the simplest way I can.

Do not put too many qualifiers on your love. Dragon ball or anime is really such a tiny thing compared to the bond between two people.

My wife doesn't care for anime or dragon ball or even visual media (yeah it's rough) but she loves my enjoyment of it. Look for someone like that. The anime enjoyment could be a cherry on top.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:37 pm

I swear I've read a thread just like this before... and you're the one who made that one too. I think this "make Kanzenshuu threads" approach might be the wrong way to go about it.
In general... I'm not gonna tell you what you should or shouldn't look for in a potential romantic partner, which is why I just gave some concrete pointers last time... but if you ask me, common interest in a media franchise is flimsy grounds to build a whole relationship on. It's much better to find someone you actually get along with than it is to find someone who just likes the same things as you. I guess I can mainly only talk about my own perspective, but I see tons of guys out there who like the same stuff I do but are still completely undateable to me because they're "weird" (the Norwegian word I'm trying to translate here is "sær", it doesn't have a proper English equivalent apparently) or they're arrogant or ill-tempered or obnoxious etc etc. Beyond checking that the two of you don't have dealbreaker interests in each other's eyes, focus on compatability and personality and let things like fondness of Dragon Ball (or, more realistically, anime in general) be lower priority.

Also, and this is gonna be a bit of a cultural thing since Norway has a generally more introverted culture than some other countries, but to the whole "find someone at the store and talk to them" idea... Do not do that. We don't live in an RPG where you can just walk up to strangers and press A to chat. You'll be seen as a weirdo or a creep almost every time.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:59 pm

How do y'all think people met prior to the explosion of chat rooms, social media and dating apps?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:23 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:59 pm How do y'all think people met prior to the explosion of chat rooms, social media and dating apps?
How long do you think women have been pressured into relationships with men that they don't want to be in for fear of their safety or because society kept telling them they were worthless unless they got themselves a man?

Also: spaces for hook-ups existed before the internet.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:52 pm

That's not answering my question but hell, even in arranged marriages the women can still choose to be with the guy they're being presented with or not. There's still the power of choice in the matter its just the families do the majority of the vetting instead of the son or daughter in question.

Also y'all keep mentioning Hook Ups when that's not what I spoke about or what the topic is about. If you talk to any regular person in real life they'll tell you that bars and nightclubs are the worst places to look for a potential significant other because most people who frequent those places are there for a good time not a long time.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:23 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:59 pm How do y'all think people met prior to the explosion of chat rooms, social media and dating apps?
Arranged marriages, high school romances, stuff like that I assume.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:03 pm

bars and clubs? Again, no one is saying that you cant talk to people its just that if your main concern is to date, then there are better avenues to do so than following women in grocery stores.

If you talk to any regular person in real life they'll tell you that bars and nightclubs are the worst places to look for a potential significant other because most people who frequent those places are there for a good time not a long time.
gonna need a citation on that.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:21 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:03 pm
If you talk to any regular person in real life they'll tell you that bars and nightclubs are the worst places to look for a potential significant other because most people who frequent those places are there for a good time not a long time.
gonna need a citation on that.
Can confirm from my own personal experiences. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:56 pm

I think what everyone needs to succeed in dating can be summed up with one word - confidence. That confidence can be built in any number of ways. As someone that used to go to the club frequently I can say that while I didn't meet potential dates or my now wife there they did help me become more confident when meeting people out and about, including people I found attractive, and that's what I would recommend anyone to go to them for. Also, if you go clubbing go with the intention of enjoying yourself, everything else will fall into place when you've built up courage.

The more confidence you have the less you worry about someone having similar interests because you are content with who you are and what you have to offer in a relationship. I'm not saying anyone should stop caring about a potential partner liking Dragon Ball, but it's important to accept it may or may not happen, and if it doesn't that's ok.

Plenty of couples have different interests but it still works for them. I would say great relationships should ideally have a healthy balance of shared and unique interests, because its good for two people to have been exposed to different things so they can learn from one another, as having all the same interests can be detrimental too (albeit not in all cases) by preventing both partners from becoming more open minded.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:38 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:52 pm That's not answering my question but hell, even in arranged marriages the women can still choose to be with the guy they're being presented with or not.
In most cases no?
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:52 pm How do y'all think people met prior to the explosion of chat rooms, social media and dating apps?
From my experience - college, workplaces, friend groups etc. How do you think people met before dating apps?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:49 am

Honestly, you find people easier when you are not looking for them. Chances are that you may bump into the right person at the right place and time. I never had much luck dating with women after only having two girlfriends in my life and one friends with benefits with a guy. Also,
the key to good conversation is a certain level of confidence. I know it's easier said than done, but if you're relaxed, you won't feel bad about yourself. Stepping out of your comfort zone can be difficult at first, but it will become second nature after a while.

I also recommend finding people who are not into the same hobbies as you. As long if she likes you for who you are, it won't be matter. Also, it does not hurt to introduce people to new things too. Just don't interoduce people to something too freaky (I learn my leason with that ages ago).
goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:38 pm
On another note I'm almost curious as to how some of you function day to day with all this fear jammed into your heads, YBM you almost speak as if every non-LGBTQ guy out there has some innate urge to hurt you, or people like you in particular and that just plain crazy.
Both Trans Men and Trans Woman have been victims of rape and murder because they are trans. I can see why Julie does feel worried about meeting up with CIS Straight Men. Brandon Teena is one of the most well known people that has been killed for being a trans male and has their story adapted into Boys Don't Cry (I recommend it BTW).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:59 pm

Confidence is key...but it's not about walking in a room with your chest puffed out. People like that tend to be those with very low confidence and feel like they need to over compensate for that.

Basically its understanding that shit's not that serious. Maybe it'll lead to something, maybe it won't. But it doesn't matter. It's more about making social connections and just talking to someone. You also need situational awareness: knowing when and where is a good time to do something. That's why I don't recommend walking around grocery stores or malls trying to get a date. You might be thinking what you're doing is innocent and naive, but I guarantee that most people think you're being kinda creepy.

I mean we have so many different resources available that there's really no reason for any one to be doing stuff like that.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:49 am
Both Trans Men and Trans Woman have been victims of rape and murder because they are trans. I can see why Julie does feel worried about meeting up with CIS Straight Men. Brandon Teena is one of the most well known people that has been killed for being a trans male and has their story adapted into Boys Don't Cry (I recommend it BTW).
Also pretty much all of my women friends have told me stories that range from creepy dudes following them to outright assaults. There's a reason why plenty of women are terrified of random men just coming up to them and hitting on them--because they don't know if this is going to be a situation they can walk away from.

To homeboy: You're not entitled to getting people's benefit of the doubt.