How Many Times have You Seen DB All the Way Through?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

How Many Times have You Seen DB All the Way Through?

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:22 pm

In the 25+ years I've been a fan, I've read the manga only once, but I've seen the whole anime all the way through maybe 10 times over the years. I'm counting watching the dub and original as separate times. I don't know how many times I've seen the original 53 DBZ ocean dub episodes, especially since I watched them on VHS as they came out and rewatched certain tapes over and over again before the run was complete.

I also watched twice when new releases of the series came out: As in I watched once for the dub, then the JPN version for the singles, season/saga sets, and then DBoxes.

How about you?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: How Many Times have You Seen DB All the Way Through?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:31 pm

Maybe two or three times for the first three series. I've only seen Kai and Super once so far.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:37 pm

i've seen the original DB at least 3 times, all dubbed. Seen most of it subbed too. Z.... I'm not sure i've watched all of the Buu saga in its entirety in original Z, but if we go arc-by-arc then I've seen all the Ocean dub episodes probably 3-4 times each between when they originally aired and watching the rock the dragon set, the Funi redub maybe once, all of Namek, Androids, and Cell's Funimation dub at least twice (original airing and once via orange box), about half of the Buu arc funimation dub. Seen almost all of Z subbed minus the back half of the Buu arc. (I keep stopping around there for whatever reason!)

I've seen Kai twice, both dubbed. The Final Chapters once, dubbed. GT once dubbed, and all of Super at least once altogether.

One of these days I keep meaning to sit down and watch everything (DB/Z, maybe GT and some movies?) in japanese, especially with the broadcast audio out there now, but you know how things get. Never enough time!

Regarding the manga, I do own physical copies of all of it, but I've only read up until around the end of the Red Ribbon arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:34 pm

I think the episodes I've watched the most are the first four ocean dub DBZ episodes (Arrival VHS), DB episodes 14-19 when they came out on VHS in 01, and DBZ episodes 68-74 when the first in house dub episodes came out in spring of 1999.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:26 pm

It's impossible for me to remember how many times I've seen Z. I watched it countless times when it aired on UK TV, and have watched it at least 5 times all the way through on the various home releases. On TV it was a mixture of Funimation and Ocean. I've watched the remastered dub 3 times, the old Funi singles once, the Rock the Dragon set 3 times, and the Japanese version once. And that's not even counting Kai.

I saw the Saiyan and Frieza arcs of Kai at least 3 or 4 times on TV, and the Cell arc once or twice. On Blu-ray I've watched all of Kai including TFC once so far, and will be watching it again sometime soon.

Super I've only seen all the way through once so far.

OG DB I saw on TV twice all the way through via the Blue Water dub (it hardly got any reruns). I've watched the entire Funi dub 3 times on DVD, and the Japanese version once.

GT I watched about 4 times on TV via the Blue Water dub, twice on DVD with Funi's dub (once with Menza and once with Tokunaga), and once in Japanese.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:13 pm

I watched Dragon Ball all the way through twice--once for the dub, once for the Japanese version. I've seen the first 13 episodes probably like 20 times. I'm currently in the process of watching the Blue Water dub. I like it!

With Z, I watched the dub all the way through three times (one time as the Weatwood dub, which I really like) and the Japanese version all the way through twice. I'm not really counting the first two arcs for the dub, though. I saw the Ocean dub countless times, but only saw the redub one time through. This includes the TV specials.

I've seen GT twice--once for the Japanese version, once for the dub. This includes the TV special.

I saw DB movies 1, 2, and 4 countless times (dubbed). Saw movie 3 once (dubbed). I saw Z movies 1-3 countless times (dubbed). The rest once (also dubbed).

I watched all of Kai dubbed once. I tried the Japanese version, but gave up. Then, I had it sitting on my shelves forever and finally had it on all the way through in the background while working from home in 2020.

I watched Super (dubbed) once. I would watch the Japanese version, but I'm always doing other things, so subtitles are a no-go for me.

I read the original manga maybe three times. I am currently reading the Super manga amd just got into the Moro arc. But, I'm going back.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:30 pm

I normally don’t go past the original Dragon Ball (and I usually disregard the wedding dress arc entirely) not counting the Toonami run, where I don’t think I saw past the Krillin vs Chaozu fight I’ve seen the dub and sub about three times each all the way through. I only ever watched the Wedding dress arc one time in subbed form

I’ve seen all of Z once in Japanese and once in the English dub with the Japanese music. I did watch the original broadcast dub on Toonami casually in the Ocean days more religiously right around the time Goku turned Super Saiyan up through the episodes that aired in 2002. Never did see the Kid Buu episodes that aired in 2003 as they were on Toonami. I did watch the Ocean/Funi dub once in a form that played the audio over Dragon Box footage that was…..interesting. I own the first 5 movies from that 5 movie pack and mostly watched those movies (the first 3 in particular) a number of times. Mostly in Japanese but the dub at least once

I watched all of Kai 1.0’dubbed as it aired on Nicktoons. I watched the uncut version up through Freeza but then stopped because I didn’t like the placement of the Kikuchi score. I saw a decent bit of Kai in Japanese but mostly spot checking scenes out of curiosity

I saw GT once in Japanese on Hulu. Never did really watch the dub outside of seeing the odd episode here and there on Toonami and checking some clips out on Youtube out of curiosity.

And then I saw Super once in English because that’s what Hulu had.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:08 pm

Hard to say for full series watchthroughs, as I often watch random arcs depending on what I'm in the mood for, and I sometimes watch arcs from different series concurrently.

That said, I've seen all of original Dragon Ball, Z, GT and Super in Japanese once each. I've seen a good 60 episodes of Kai in Japanese but haven't finished it. I will get around to it, just prefer the dub for Kai specifically. I'm also in what I hope to be my second watchthrough of Z in Japanese via the 2020/21 Manga UK Blu-Rays as they are repackaged of the 30th anniversary set and I've been curious about the picture quality in motion.

For English, I've seen every episode of the Westwood and Blue Water dubs about twice, then once each for the Funimation dubs of each series, although I've seen the first 3 seasons of Z with the broadcast dub countless times via the old singles and the Cartoon Network UK airings. I saw Funimation's dub of Kai several times on Kix and on the Blu-Rays, but I've only seen TFC once all the way through. Then there's rarities like the BLT, Bang Zoom and Harmony Gold dubs, which I've seen once each.

Movies and specials I've seen once each in Japanese and English, although again there are exceptions. I have the Pioneer trilogy box set and have seen those versions a couple of times. I've also seen the Big Green dub of World's Strongest a good few times as it was the first Dragon Ball Z DVD I ever got, and it was a gift from my mam so quite sentimental in that regard.

I've yet to read the manga all the way through, but I've read most of the early volumes and all the major battles in isolation.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:46 pm

I've viewed all of the original anime run (DB/Z/GT) and most of DBZ Kai in terms of 1.0 plus all the OG DB and Z movies and 2013 onward films plus the Bardock and Trunka specials, but still haven't caught all of Kai: The Final Chapters cut of the Majin Buu arc and as far as Super goes i've only watched scattered episodes here and there after the Battle of Gods/Revival of F adaptation arcs.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:56 pm

DB, DBZ and GT - 2 times, local channel reran whole of DB and DBZ before starting GT, and I had GT ripped with subs on a computer for a second watch (or maybe first).

Kai once, Final Chapters didn't, Super also once.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:26 pm

Oh gosh, I never did watch more than a fee episodes of Japanese broadcast Buu Kai. What a fucking shit show.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:26 pm Oh gosh, I never did watch more than a fee episodes of Japanese broadcast Buu Kai. What a fucking shit show.
The sad part is the Japanese broadcast was the improved version. Less filler, a significantly better opening theme

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:58 pm

I did it once. Maybe I'll do it again
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:09 pm

In the original run, I dunno, many, many times I've seen DBZ. They would air 40 episodes and then start all over, so I've watched the saiyan, Namek and android arc way too many times. The Buu arc probably I've watched it like 5 times 20-25 years ago. GT I've watched like 3 or 4 times.

After the 2010s, with the DVDs on my shelf, I've seen DBZ like 4 or 5 times, GT probably like 5 times since I got it on DVD. DB only once, yes.

DBS I've only watched it twice, during the original run and then again on DVD once, prior to the release of the Broly movie.

The original manga I've read all the way through like 5 or 6 times. Maybe more. Ever since the pandemic started I've read it twice.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:18 am

I've watched everything at least once and have done rewatches of arcs several times. I wanna say I watched all of DB at least twice, at least three times if you count rewatches without filler, and I've seen the OG hunt for the DBs many times over. My DB watches were mostly subbed, though I did watch through the 21st Budokai at least twice since I caught it on Toonami back in the day and since rewatched certain stretches dubbed with my niece (though at times I'd only be supervising while do something else.

I've seen every episode of Z subbed once, though I never watched it from back to front. However, I still count it because after finishing all of Kai 1-98 on home video I received the last three Dragon Boxes as a gift and watched the Boo arc subbed that way, then watched the other Dragon Boxes in order as I collected them. The only time I've only extensively watched the dub was on TV when I was a kid; by the time I started collecting the OG Z on home video, I had already been converted to the Japanese cast as my favorite (though I love the dub from Kai onwards). Funnily enough, I didn't really get into the series until the Freeza arc and wasn't fully invested until the Cell arc and never caught much of the Saiyan/early Namek stuff on TV. This means my main exposure to those earlier parts were through the games, and the first time I ever watched the arcs in full was through Kai. I also watched a lot of the Boo episodes early by renting dubbed tapes from Blockbuster, including the Gotenks, Vegetto, and Chibi Boo fights. I would finally go back and watch the majority of the rest of the arc on Toonami to get the full story, but only saw the final Tournament when we rented it well after the series finished its Toonami run (at the time I think we moved or lost cable or both). I don't really rewatch Z all that much, opting for Kai whenever I get the itch. I do occasionally throw on an episode, though.

As probably the biggest Kai fan on the planet, it should come as no surprise that I've seen all of it several times and will rewatch batches of episodes semi-frequently. I kept up with fansubs until at least the point where Goku touched down on Namek (but then got the computer I downloaded fansubs on infected with a virus so that was that until the dub came out), then watched all of the Nicktoons cut, rewatched it uncut with the home release, occasionally checked in on the CW broadcast, then finally rewatched it all subbed later on and with the Kikuchi score to boot. I also watched it all with my niece when she finished DB (though we had to do a mix of Boo Z and subbed Boo Kai when she had the patience for it since the dub was still a ways away). I kept up with Boo Kai's Japanese run from beginning to end, and rewatched it all dubbed as the US home releases came out. This does mean that my one full watchthrough of Boo Kai in Japanese was the Japanese cut. While I've mostly watched Kai dubbed, these days it's a coin toss whether I choose the dub or Japanese track when rewatching random episodes.

I saw a bit of GT dubbed on Toonami or whenever I could rent a tape or DVD from the video store (catching stuff like the "A Grand Problem" clipshow, the SSJ4 transformation, Super 17's defeat, and a fair bit of the Shadow Dragons including the final episode), but the only time I watched the series all the way through from beginning to end was subbed not long after Super was announced. I also did a semi-sorta rewatch through the Blue Water dub when I synced it to the uncut video for a project.

Super isn't particularly interesting: I watched it once through subbed as it came out, then once again dubbed as it came out. I rewatched my favorite episodes a ton of times like with DB and Kai.

I don't know if this counts as part of the question, but I've seen all of the movies at least twice, seen most of the dubs, but definitely seen them all subbed. I don't think I've seen the first three Z films all the way through with the in-house dubs, nor do I really care to since the Ocean cast dubs are just so damn good and in-house Tree of Might uses the TV dub script as its base (though, funnily enough, the TV dub was the first time I saw that movie). I rewatch those films with the Ocean cast dubs just as much as the Japanese version. I also watch the Bardock special a lot with my crew's fandub. I'm really proud of that one. I have seen the Japanese version many many times, of course. I tried the official dub and it took only two seconds before I decided to abort. One of Funi's worst ADR scripts by far, if not the worst.

As for the modern films, I've rewatched Battle fo Gods many times both in Japanese (raw and subbed) and dubbed and watched it in the theater three times. Ditto for F and Broly, though Battle of Gods is my most rewatched Dragon Ball film by far.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:03 pm

Never watched all the way through the original three series, and I don't know if I will ever do it. I did watched KAI 1.0 from beginning to end SUPER I almost watched it all the way, skipped like 5 episodes during the Tournament of Power post Goku vs Jire round 1.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:39 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:18 am I). Funnily enough, I didn't really get into the series until the Freeza arc and wasn't fully invested until the Cell arc and nev
This part is pretty similar to my experience. I knew of the show when it came to Toonami and caught episodes here and there (I fairly distinctly remember the Gohan and the orphan episode and the Catch Bubbles episode). But I really didn’t understand the show. I got that this Goku guy was dead and in heaven and that there were some talking animals like a talking pig and a floating cat thing and this Gohan kid was being trained by that Piccolo guy who was kinda mean (in hindsight Funimation going out of their way to make Piccolo a lot nicer to Gohan in the edited dub was amusing) and then I caught more of the show when it went to Namek and thought Frieza was a woman and that Bulma was some random teenage girl every one knew. By the time of the Goku vs Frieza fight I was invested, probably due to the imagery of Namek going to hell as their battle ground and Cartoon Network’s lax censorship meant this was one of the few cartoons I saw as a kid where characters bled. Missed the original run of the Garlic jr saga in the spring of 2000 but I remember being very pumped when I saw the season 4 promos with Cyborg Frieza and the Cell saga ending up being l when I was most into the
the show as a kid. Then of course I started going online and reading about the Buu saga and GT on fansites and Cartoon Network stretching out the Buu saga for a year and half with endless reruns of season 5 on loop was not fun.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:00 pm

I've watched the whole series through several times...probably as much as OP. I've never watched it all the way through in Japanese though. Inf act I've only ever watched the Frieza saga substantially in Japanese. Last time I did a watchthrough was a few years ago, where I started with the DB dub and then switched to Kai.

Then again, I've never included GT in these watchthroughs. Matter of fact, I've still never seen all of GT period :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:38 pm

Sort of...1 and a half. But I had a very cramped up (but special) experience with this franchise.

I had only seen the Android and Buu saga when I was like 12, and after that ended I was aware of GT (and imagined it to be super cool), but never saw it and for years, I didn’t follow this series.

Until a few months ago. I was browsing the tv one day and discovered Kai on Warner Channel (from the Saiyan Saga, so this was the first time I was seeing Goku VS Vegeta 1st fight!).
So, I kinda began watching from there, casually at first, (and it was actually fun to “tune in” each night like it was the 90s, there was something exciting about that), but also while that went on and because it had sparked my interest, I searched for Dragon Ball Super.
So simultaneously I started watching that in english, while ALSO having just discovered DBZ Abridged and I absolutely loved it and it made me happy (I haven’t finished it actually, I “saved” the first arc for later on). Then I saw some movies (probably 10), and then GT in spanish (my LEAST favorite, I actually skipped about 30 episodes), while also begining to read the manga but starting at the most recent arcs. Then I saw the whole saga in Japanese from begining to end. And then I found out about Dragon Ball Heroes and I saw that in like a week.

All of this happened within like a month and a half. Probably sounds too intense but it happend right after the breakup with my gf and me feeling like I was in an alternate reality for weeks and not wanting to do anything, until this re-discovery happened by chance and it immediately became like an escapism and I think I put the obsession I had for my relationship onto this thing.
So anyway, since november I’ve been wanting to watch the whole saga in spanish but haven’t had the time.
But when I say the “whole saga”, and I know it's incorrect, but I actually mean parting from Z.

I have never seen Dragon Ball and I don’t want to.
I know you will judge me probably, but I'll just say that I understand and respect that the story and characters start with Dragon Ball. I acknowledge that begining. But that doesn’t change the fact that that series itself has a different tone, different humor, different style of fights, like pretty much a different personality, and it's one to which I am just genuinely not drawn to, something about it doesn’t make me feel the excitement I feel with DBZ and while I’ve seen some parts of it, considering it doesn’t affect at all my understanding and enjoyment of Dragon Ball Z and Super, I don’t think I need to watch it if I know I won’t enjoy it and it would almost seem like work or something.
I saw a scene in which Goku and Krillin learn to put their mind in blank and that did stick with me for years, and I recalled that when I saw Super now and the whole thing with Ultra Instinct began (I love UI, the whole concept of it). But anyway, that’s one thing I remember about Dragon Ball. I relate Ultra Instinct to that time they were doing something that seems very much like the base of UI, allowing the body to react by itself.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:15 pm

DB: 1
DBZ: 2
DBGT: 1
DBZK: 1
DBZS: 0
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.