Dragonball Super doesn't feel like Dragonball

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragonball Super doesn't feel like Dragonball

Post by buutenks » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:16 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:11 pm
CrazyPenguin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:37 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 pm I mean, people like you also complain about the FT arc ending, even though it was the most original and unprecedented ending for any DB storyline ever.

If that ending was a copy-paste of DBZ, it would have stopped at ep. 66 (hero kills the villain with really strong big attack, uses Dragon Balls to wish everyone back, happy ending).

You'll complain regardless, even when they are doing their own thing and subverting the tropes established by DBZ.

It is amusing to me how people can complain about Trunks coming back to ask for help, while simultaneously complaining that he DIDN'T get a happy ending like in Z. Do you want a copy-paste or not?
Never complained about FT arc ending, I complain about Super ruining what DBZ made good. Super revived all of that and ruined it by lazy writing. FT ending was a lazy witting, call in ZENO erase everything, problem fixed. Why don't they just use ZENO to erase all villain's then, Moro, Broly, ect.. screw doing anything, just sit back and relax.

Again never complained about any happy ending, don't even care for happy ending.

Again this is not their own thing, this is a bad COPY/PASTE from DBZ. They are REPEATING the same things just to get a quick buck from it. Frieza, Cell, Vegeta's sacrifice, Red Ribon, ect... I can't understand how fans can't notice something so obvious and still support it.
The logic can be applied to DBZ too.

Why don't they just wish for Frieza/Cell/Buu to be teleported right in the middle of the sun? Let's not act like DBZ had stellar writing because you can easily find loopholes like this one.

Everyone noticed that Vegeta's fight against Toppo was a callback to his fight against Buu, they literally put the flashback there. People still didn't care because Super was genuinely entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

In the end, even the hate watchers were always back each week to discuss the new episode.
Because they could not. If a person's PL surpasses the creator of the DBs, the wish cannot affect that person without that person's consent.

As for the topic. Sadly DBS is mostly poorly done. Its basically DBZ anime filler level, most of the filler makes no sense to the overall story. This happened with Super also. Plus the awful animation didnt help either.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:07 pm

buutenks wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:16 pm
CrazyPenguin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:37 am

Never complained about FT arc ending, I complain about Super ruining what DBZ made good. Super revived all of that and ruined it by lazy writing. FT ending was a lazy witting, call in ZENO erase everything, problem fixed. Why don't they just use ZENO to erase all villain's then, Moro, Broly, ect.. screw doing anything, just sit back and relax.

Again never complained about any happy ending, don't even care for happy ending.

Again this is not their own thing, this is a bad COPY/PASTE from DBZ. They are REPEATING the same things just to get a quick buck from it. Frieza, Cell, Vegeta's sacrifice, Red Ribon, ect... I can't understand how fans can't notice something so obvious and still support it.

Why don't they just wish for Frieza/Cell/Buu to be teleported right in the middle of the sun? Let's not act like DBZ had stellar writing because you can easily find loopholes like this one.

Everyone noticed that Vegeta's fight against Toppo was a callback to his fight against Buu, they literally put the flashback there. People still didn't care because Super was genuinely entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

In the end, even the hate watchers were always back each week to discuss the new episode.
Because they could not. If a person's PL surpasses the creator of the DBs, the wish cannot affect that person without that person's consent.
Which is completely disproven by Shenron teleporting Broly to Planet Vampa at the end of the movie.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:08 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:07 pm

Which is completely disproven by Shenron teleporting Broly to Planet Vampa at the end of the movie.
That is DBS, in DBZ Kami states the DB cannot affect anyone above him in power. And this is proven when Porunga was unable to teleport Goku to earth from Namek because Goku refused. Another example is when Krillin asks shenlong to transform the androids into humans, but shenlong says he cannot because the androids are more powerful than him. So krillin wishes to remove the bombs inside them instead, which was possible because ti did not affect them.

In DBS it could be a retcon, or the writers forgot or did not know. Wasnt Broly unconscious when he got teleported? Or severely beaten? If so he could have simply been super weak, so shenlong was above him in power.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:27 pm

buutenks wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:08 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:07 pm

That is DBS, in DBZ Kami states the DB cannot affect anyone above him in power. And this is proven when Porunga was unable to teleport Goku to earth from Namek because Goku refused. Another example is when Krillin asks shenlong to transform the androids into humans, but shenlong says he cannot because the androids are more powerful than him. So krillin wishes to remove the bombs inside them instead, which was possible because ti did not affect them.

In DBS it could be a retcon, or the writers forgot or did not know. Wasnt Broly unconscious when he got teleported? Or severely beaten? If so he could have simply been super weak, so shenlong was above him in power.
It might be DBS but it was still written by Toriyama, and so according to Toriyama, Shenron is capable of affecting a conscious Broly as he is fighting Gogeta Blue.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:46 pm

I don't get it. Broly flat out wanted to leave the fight because he knew he was in grave danger otherwise.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:57 am

From what we see of Dende, he is much more powerful and skilled than Kami ever was. Upon his first introduction, he casually powers up Shenlong. Perhaps, since he received Dragon Clan knowledge firsthand, he and his dragons are capable of feats that Kami could only dream of.

Comparing Dende to Saichorou, perhaps Saichorou's focus was on repopulating the Namekians and stewarding them, whereas Dende can solely focus on his duties as a Dragon...mancer. Dende is likely even a prodigy compared to Saichorou and Moori so I can understand why his Shenlong seems to have different rules ... he has tweaked it at least twice so far.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:34 am

Dragon Ball Super actually feels closer to OGDB than it does to Z. At least going by the anime. I think it's the comedy and reinclusion of the older and newer characters.