Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi Launch Podcast About Vic Mignogna Defamation Case

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi Launch Podcast About Vic Mignogna Defamation Case

Post by Jord » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:45 am

Voice actresses Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi released the first episode of the "In Touch" podcast focusing on the 2019 defamation case filed by fellow voice actor Vic Mignogna. The podcast, which aims to be updated monthly, retells the events from March and Rial's perspective. The first episode lays out the timeline of events, from Funimation contacting Mignogna about its investigation into allegations of sexual harassment and terminating the company's work relationship with him to Rial and Marchi's first public statements on Twitter.

The podcast website's tongue-in-cheek description reads:

Listen to our adventures in talking publicly about being sexually harassed, getting harassed online for talking publicly about being sexually harassed, getting sued for talking publicly about being sexually harassed, having that case against us get thrown out because we're allowed to talk publicly about being sexually harassed, and the further harassment we receive for having a case against us for defamation because we talked publicly about being sexually harassed get thrown out because we're allowed to talk about being sexually harassed.
Mignogna's lawsuit against Rial, Marchi, Rial's fiancé Ron Toye, and Funimation was dismissed with prejudice in November 2019. The judge ruled that Mignogna must pay US$223,042.42 in attorneys' fees to the defendants. The judgment also ordered him to pay US$15,000 in sanctions, for a total of US$238,042.42. Additionally, the judgment listed US$287,500 in contingent fees that Mignogna may have to pay if he chose to appeal. Mignogna did file an appeal and the defendants filed a motion to dismiss the appeal in October 2019, however due to the pandemic, no further legal proceedings have since taken place.

The court found that all causes of action against all defendants asserted by Mignogna were based on, related to, or were in response to the defendants' right to free speech, the right to petition, or the right to association under the TCPA, the state's measure to protect against SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) lawsuits.

Over the course of the lawsuit, multiple witnesses and alleged victims of Mignogna's sexual advances came forward including voice actress Kara Edwards, underage con attendees, convention staff, and industry professionals.

Mignogna has maintained that he is innocent of the allegations against him.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... se/.182362

I can see why they feel the need to speak out but how much can you stretch your story out to fill a season of podcasting?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi Launch Podcast About Vic Mignogna Defamation Case

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:53 am

I hope this is cathartic for them because goodness is this saga horrifying.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:00 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:53 am I hope this is cathartic for them because goodness is this saga horrifying.
It probably will be, although I do fear this will only continue to fuel the fire for Vic defenders.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:34 am

Jord wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:45 am I can see why they feel the need to speak out but how much can you stretch your story out to fill a season of podcasting?
Looks to me like they just miss all the attention they got in 2019 and wanna relive it.

So odd. You'd think, instead of starting a podcast, their focus these last 2-3 years would be to try and build a legal case against a man who sexually harassed over 100 women and is a threat to underaged girls... but no, apparently as long as he's not dubbing Japanese cartoon characters--but still able to attend certain cons and interact with (underaged/female) fans--then women are perfectly safe now. As an onlooker, I know I'd wanna see a man like that behind bars...odd that the actual victims don't seem to care about protecting future potential victims from such a dangerous predator... they're just happy he lost his defamation case against them and is no longer voicing cartoon characters. Making me think that they think Vic isn't as much of a threat to minors and women as I thought he was :crazy:

And lol if anyone says "b-but he knows not to do that anymore, our girl bosses taught him a lesson :twisted: " lmao yeah, you expect rationality from the guy who you also think is some scary demented psychopath :crazy:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:50 am

Seen here: someone unwilling to listen, where their questions are immediately answered in the actual thing being linked, and willing to once again scorch their account (didn't I just turn off "Temporarily Banned" on you?) for the sake of… something, something, women bad?

I can't even begin to imagine how we'd get three or four years into this and someone might:

- engage in targeted harassment without reflecting on their reasoning for doing so, the results and ramifications of such, and how that's a vicious loop that literally answers their question about why certain folk don't speak up

- continue supporting the clear/obvious grifters... who are the ones who brought the case in the first place, and lost it firmly, hardly, completely, unbelievably

- still wonder why someone might keep to themselves for a while (again, answered in the show: had good lawyers, and generally you're not out there making constant public statements about something you're in a lawsuit about???)

- wonder why someone might want a little catharsis afterward, and that they're entitled to it

If y'all wanna do this again, by all means, but remember that we're under no obligation to listen to your bullshit.

(It was a good listen. Check it out. The timeline is some of the most basic ass shit that the internet sleuths still couldn't even remotely get right, and that's definitely such a fun source of the aforementioned catharsis. The one thing I'd add there, which I still don't ever see mentioned anywhere, is how the "we're done with this shit" movement started before and around January 16 beyond this one creepo: I saw it start with that Dylan / "Hazukari" dude and tons of warnings going out about him. But to my own point about fact-checking that, I'd need to see the exact dates that started, but it was certainly in and around that.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:40 pm

The fact that so many people were that passionate about defending an anime voice actor was pretty weird, but the weirdest part to me about this whole saga was Chuck Huber claiming that Chris Sabat had a casting couch thing going on, seemingly just to defend his friend. Interesting how his and Todd Haberkorn’s careers don’t seem to have been significantly impacted from this whole ordeal.

I will say this though, I think certain people on the KickVic side were a little too eager to go after Stephanie Nadolny in all this.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:43 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:40 pm I will say this though, I think certain people on the KickVic side were a little too eager to go after Stephanie Nadolny in all this.
Being in favor of #KickVic has nothing to do with whatever issue there was with Nadolny. It's like saying "people who like the color red beat up the Mariners' mascot!"
She/Her
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:47 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:43 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:40 pm

I will say this though, I think certain people on the KickVic side were a little too eager to go after Stephanie Nadolny in all this.
Being in favor of #KickVic has nothing to do with whatever issue there was with Nadolny. It's like saying "people who like the color red beat up the Mariners' mascot!"
I mean that people seemed far too eager to air her dirty laundry out in the open, and they seemed to treat it as fact that she was behind the casting couch rumor. If I recall, Monica Rial even told people to knock it off.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:51 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:47 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:40 pm

I mean that people seemed far too eager to air her dirty laundry out in the open, and they seemed to treat it as fact that she was behind the casting couch rumor. If I recall, Monica Rial even told people to knock it off.
I agree that it's dumb and useless but mentioning "people who just so happen to support #KickVic are also talking shit about Nadolny" kinda...is unrelated? Like, I'm not saying Nadolny deserved anything, just that people ganging up on a woman who there is no evidence did anything also supposedly being people who supposedly wanted Mic Vignogna removed from fan spaces is unrelated.
She/Her
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:55 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:51 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:47 pm

I agree that it's dumb and useless but mentioning "people who just so happen to support #KickVic are also talking shit about Nadolny" kinda...is unrelated? Like, I'm not saying Nadolny deserved anything, just that people ganging up on a woman who there is no evidence did anything also supposedly being people who supposedly wanted Mic Vignogna removed from fan spaces is unrelated.
Believe me, I’m not trying to put all of KickVic under an umbrella. Like I said, it’s just certain individuals who did that, which I don’t think was the best look.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 pm

I genuinely don’t remember Nadolny’s name being dragged on either side.

The worst I remember is Chuck Huber starting the Casting Couch rumor and Mic Vignogna fans jumping to the conclusion that was why Vollmer and Nadolny weren’t brought back.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:10 pm

It would be great for you, me, us, and everyone if the subsequent posts could be about the subject matter of this thread please and thank you! 🙏
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:32 pm

People are still on this topic????

I thought everyone had moved on from this by now; what happened?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:51 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:32 pm People are still on this topic????

I thought everyone had moved on from this by now; what happened?
Please read the things you are responding to before responding to them.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:17 pm

Not sure if it's good idea to kick that hornet nest again, especially with case still going on, but, if they talked to their lawyers about it...until verdict, i won't dare to speculate who is guilty...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:21 pm

coola wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:17 pm Not sure if it's good idea to kick that hornet nest again, especially with case still going on, but, if they talked to their lawyers about it...until verdict, i won't dare to speculate who is guilty...
Oh my god are we actually doing this immediately after the last person.

Yes, I am prepared to keep making this statement over and over. I'd rather not, though. I can't imagine wanting to publicly be so uninformed about something and tossing my two cents into the mix right then and there. Why would you do that?!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:21 pm
coola wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:17 pm Not sure if it's good idea to kick that hornet nest again, especially with case still going on, but, if they talked to their lawyers about it...until verdict, i won't dare to speculate who is guilty...

Yes, I am prepared to keep making this statement over and over. I'd rather not, though. I can't imagine wanting to publicly be so uninformed about something and tossing my two cents into the mix right then and there. Why would you do that?!
Sorry, i should be more specific, i was just wondering, why not wait until case close? Vic might be guilty, but we also had cases of false accusations ruinging people's life
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:51 pm

coola wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:47 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:21 pm

Sorry, i should be more specific, i was just wondering, why not wait until case close? Vic might be guilty, but we also had cases of false accusations ruinging people's life
These women are talking about their own personal experience. Not “what they heard through the grapevine” They don’t need to wait until case closed because it’s their lived experience.

The mental gymnastics people will pull to defend Dick Lasagna :crazy:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:55 pm

coola wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:47 pm Sorry, i should be more specific, i was just wondering, why not wait until case close? Vic might be guilty, but we also had cases of false accusations ruinging people's life
You don't even seem to know what "the case" is, though.

"The case" is that Vic sued these ladies for defamation. He lost. He literally told the court he did the things they said he did. He admitted to the bad things. He demonstrated how he did the things. The judge said goodbye you have lost pay their fees now. It ended. It's over.

(He appealed, sure, but woof like that's gonna go anywhere.)

So again: please actually read and listen to the things before running in going excuse me excuse me but what about the poor creepy man??? These kinds of responses shouldn't even exist if you're actually reading, actually listening, etc... and not just brainwashed by a bunch of folks whose entire purpose is to keep you misinformed, keep you angry, keep you guessing, and make a quick buck off of you.

My administrative (and personal, if you can't tell) patience on this is so goddamn thin.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:49 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:45 am ̶h̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶n̶d̶e̶m̶i̶c̶ however due to having no fucking case, no further legal proceedings have since taken place.
Sounds about right.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃