A Kai Version of DB (1986 OG Series)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

A Kai Version of DB (1986 OG Series)

Post by PrinceVegetto » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:27 pm

I personally would love to see a Kai version of DB that follows the manga closely :D but unlike DBZ Kai I'd want it to have completely new animation like the new Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai does.

Would you like to see DB Kai someday? Do you think it would be a good move on Toei's part for the franchise as a whole?
Last edited by PrinceVegetto on Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: A Kai Version of DB (1986 OG Series)

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:34 pm

I'd like it I guess, but at the same time feels like a waste of resources since original DB holds up just fine.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:39 pm

I am okay with the fancut of DB that's out there. I'd rather see a new DB anime following the story and proper HD remasters. I guess if someone clip a DB Kai from a proper HD remaster without worrying to do any new art it could be something. As long as it doesn't get in the way for new projects.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:47 pm

I'd love to see it, but like with a true HD Blu-Ray remaster, more material with the Ocean cast, etc its just one of those pipe dream projects that will never become a reality. TOEI condensed the first 153 episodes into a brief recap when they made Kai for a reason, they don't think it's a worthwhile investment.

Hell, even the fact for their own Blu-Ray release of the movies TOEI prioritized the Z movies just goes to show - in their eyes OG Dragon Ball is an afterthought at best and not something they are interested in serving the fans of sadly.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:19 pm

Original DB is a classic. No jk

Compared to latest digital/cgi-era animation where everythin feels plastic, OG DB though grainy & has aged, its got authentic, realistic touch. And its animation is really good for its age.

If ur a newbie to the franchise, its normal that after you watch Cell & Majin Arc's fantastic artwork & animation you wud feel OG DB looks dated

Reality is OG DB has a lot more consistent animation & is really good for its age. It took over a decade for me to appreciate it.

And DB fillers mostly serve their purpose. Training arcs mostly iirc. I even enjoy DBZ fillers, so DB fillers are minimal & fun to watch for me

Kai-fication of Dbz itself is a joke. Toriyama-cut, filler-free & yet has tons of fillers, contradictory filler scenes, music plagiarism (tbh, bgm was poor), voice acting was so-so (understandably most seiyuu's have aged, but some did wannabe immitation of their work frm Z esp Wakamoto' Cell) & green tint😂And TOEI despite earning billions frm DB fans over 30 years didnt even bother to reanimate the material by recent standards (retainin old 90's animation intact) & only new aspect was the reanimated OP, Eyecatch & ED.

Kai u ask?😅

Its always positive to stay hopeful though.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:23 pm

Why did you put 1986 original series if you intend to have it reanimated, just say "OG Reanimated" or "First Half of the manga Reanimated".
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:45 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:23 pm Why did you put 1986 original series if you intend to have it reanimated, just say "OG Reanimated" or "First Half of the manga Reanimated".
I think he meant by his statement that he was clarifying what he was talking about so people wouldn't be confused on if he was talking about Z too, since the manga doesn't call it Z and keeps calling it Dragon Ball (except for English), and also so that nobody would think he was talking about the original name for Dragon Ball Z Kai, AKA Dragon Ball Kai.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:48 pm

Milkman's DB Recut is already enough for me.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:10 pm

I've been working on a "Dragon Ball Kai: The First Chapters" project that cuts down the show, but it's very much a spare time thing so it won't be done for a long, long, long while. And it focuses on the Funi dub, so those wanting the Japanese original will be left out of the loop.

I think a recut is the best approach though; a new series would require new VO work, and the current Japanese actors just aren't where they used to be when the show started all those decades ago. That in mind, yeah, Milkman's Recut is best thing right now.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:15 pm

Having seen some of KBABZ's work on T1C, I can confirm it will be pretty spectacular when it's eventually finished.

But Milkman's is very good from what I hear, and watching in Japanese is highly recommended to those able to read subtitles anyway.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:40 pm

I wouldn't mind an all new adaptation with all new voice actors someday.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:42 pm

Honestly most of the filler in the OG series was really good and enhanced the story more often than not...a Kai recut isn't needed as desperately as the most glacial parts of Z.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:26 pm

I don't think filler really became a problem until the Red Ribbon Army arc.

The first two arcs were actually very reasonable, with good reason - they were produced years after the manga release. The first 54 chapters of the manga were adapted into 28 episodes of the anime, meaning that even with the filler there were still averaging two chapters per episode.

Once Red Ribbon hit though, ho boy. The last 125 episodes of the series adapt the last 140 chapters from the relevant portion of the manga.

Still, I feel like the filler did a lot to flesh out and expand the series at a time when Toriyama was racing forward. Once you get to the Z years and fights are already going on forever, it becomes unbearable.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:09 am

The filler in DB that I dislike is stuff like Chichi and Gyumao appearing after the first arc, Tenshinhan appearing in the filler arc before the 22nd Budokai, and Taopaipai running up Karin Tower for the Holy Water. That kind of stuff can definitely go.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:07 am

If reanimated from scratch, don't let Yamamuro near it :) As for Kai, nope, badly cut with terrible, sticking like sore thumb redrawned scenes...I think Kai also bombed saleswise in Japan...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:36 am

Dragonball Kai should have started when Goku met Bulma.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:28 am

The original Dragon Ball even without removing anything is still shorter than Kai. 153 vs 159 or 167 episodes. If Kai is an ideal length for people I don’t know why the original Dragon Ball as is wouldn’t be. .

I’d also be skeptical of brand new animation given Toei’s track record. I also don’t think Sumitomo would be up to snuff in scoring it.

I am excited to see KBABZ’s Kai inspired recut when it’s done though.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:07 am

I know marketeers and tv producers check on this forums cause they belong to the Kanzenshuu, so pay attention guys:

Yes, DB needs a kai version.

No, I am not happy to imagine how they will completely cut it, since this is 2022 and everyone gets offended so easily...

Perhaps they can do an animated version of Dragon Ball SD and we call it a day?

As a side note, kakarot the videogame starts at DBZ, so yeah, it could be concerning that newer generations might never truly watch original 1986 DB series :o

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:08 pm

id prefer an actual hd version of dragon ball

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:55 pm

I'd love it for no other reason than to get a new dub of that material with the Kai cast. Pacing-wise, there would be improvements, but not as much as Z got from Kai. In addition, losing the Kikuchi score and not having Hiromi Tsuru and Joji Yanami would be huge blows for the Japanese track. I'd be satisfied with a redub of the original show, but that's probably not in the cards. Because of that, a Kai version of the OG DB would be worth it to me for a new dub alone.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube