Has the "less cuts" in the YTV airings of the Westwood dub claim ever been verified?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Has the "less cuts" in the YTV airings of the Westwood dub claim ever been verified?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:48 am

For those unaware when the Westwood Media dub of Dragon Ball Z, which featured the revered Ocean Studios cast aired on Cartoon Network and its sister channels CNX and Toonami in the UK back in 2001-2005 there were a number of edits made to this dub on top of Funimation's existing edits, which it inherited due to using the same video for the vast majority of its run.

Examples of cuts exclusive to the Westwood dub include:
  • Super Boo being shot
  • Removal of Super Boo jumping down the gunman's throat and killing him, instead cutting to Boo reforming
  • Gotenks fart joke in the bath
  • when Z edited episode 238 first aired in the UK, Bee (the puppy) being shot was shown and the episode cuts to Boo's shocked face, abruptly ending and going straight to the commercials, although this change would be undone for the CNX and Toonami airings
However over the years there have been claims about the YTV airings being less censored, although given recordings appear to be rarer than any of the broadcasts from said UK channels the jury is still out on this.

It's worth noting cases of deviations within specific cuts per region and per channel are not uncommon. For example Kix aired Kai with the same edit (that was produced by Ocean no less) that was shown on Nicktoons with the addition of the farmer's death being removed, so it's not out of the question to assume a similar case could have occurred with the Canadian and UK edits of the Westwood dub also having differences.

Can anyone who has seen the YTV recordings, or seen them back in the day remember if these claims hold any truth?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Has the "less cuts" in the YTV airings of the Westwood dub claim ever been verified?

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:53 am

I'd be interested in knowing this too. It just seems odd how the CNX broadcast of the Ocean Fusion episodes was more cut than the Funimation version they already aired previously. If a less cut Ocean version truly existed surely they would have aired that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Has the "less cuts" in the YTV airings of the Westwood dub claim ever been verified?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:23 pm

Well I don't know the YTV broadcast dates to confirm, but given my understanding is that the UK aired most, if not all of the Westwood dub episodes before Canada one possibility I've considered is that the cut less versions were only shown once and thus recordings are rare.

I've heard the scene where fat Boo tries to look "handsome", and asks a woman if she finds him attractive was only aired once by YTV, and later cut, although every time I saw it back in the day that scene was retained. So maybe Cartoon Network at one point thought certain scenes were appropriate when they aired the Funimation versions but later backtracked.

Sadly it's been so long ago now that the likelihood anyone would remember why these decisions were made is slim.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:38 am

The only differences I'm aware of between YTV and Toonami UK for the Westwood dubs are motion blur filters (to reduce epilepsy risks) applied to the UK airings. Allegedly GT episode 64 also had its full montage present on YTV whereas in the UK it was cut to remove the Japanese text scroll, but I've never seen a genuine YTV capture of episode 64 to confirm this. Someone once directed me to an alleged clip of this, but it would have been really easy to fake it, so I wouldn't take it as evidence since it's just the one clip.

I've heard anecdotal accounts about OG DB being less cut on YTV, but the accounts are always vague and there's never any evidence anyway.

Maybe one of these days we'll get DVDs of the Westwood dubs and they'll confirm these things by being the less-cut masters while we've only ever seen captures of the UK versions go around for the most part. But IMO it's more likely that if we did have access to both the UK and Canadian versions, we'd find basically no differences.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:08 pm

In one of the two copies of the Blue Water dub of "The Emperor's Quest" available online (a poor audio rip over what seems like the Blue Bricks footage, the other being a genuine Toonami UK rip), the already edited "no balls" scene has been edited further, removing the back shot of Goku looking at Bulma and cutting straight to the pan while he screams, and Goku scared over Bulma having no balls, going from Bulma waking up shocked to her running to her box.

According to a video by (the now gone) YouTube user "jamie guy random dump" comparing the Blue Water dub and the Toonami USA edit of the in-house FUNimation dub, the version with the scene edited further was used by YTV.
Last edited by Gilby1385 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:19 pm

Gilby1385 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:08 pm In one of the two copies of the Blue Water dub of "The Emperor's Quest" available online (a poor audio rip over what seems like the Blue Bricks footage, the other being a genuine Toonami UK rip), the already edited "no balls" scene has been edited further, removing the back shot of Goku looking at Bulma and cutting straight to the pan while he screams, and Goku scared over Bulma having no balls, going from Bulma waking up shocked to her running her box.

According to a video by (the now gone) YouTube user "jamie guy random dump" comparing the Blue Water dub and the Toonami USA edit of the in-house FUNimation dub, the version with the scene edited further was used by YTV.
Sounds less censored than the edited Funimation dub which goes straight from Bulma getting mad at Goku for falling asleep on her to Turtle approaching their house and Goku and Bulma being awake for the morning. Completely ditching Bulma checking on the dragon balls after being wakened up by Goku

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:38 am Allegedly GT episode 64 also had its full montage present on YTV whereas in the UK it was cut to remove the Japanese text scroll, but I've never seen a genuine YTV capture of episode 64 to confirm this. Someone once directed me to an alleged clip of this, but it would have been really easy to fake it, so I wouldn't take it as evidence since it's just the one clip.
I also noticed the Toonami UK edit of that scene (not sure about the YTV version, it could be edited the same way for all I know) uses the TV recording of "Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku" for the most part, rather than the album recording which the Japanese version used. The sound effects of the Nimbus taking Goku away and disappearing into the sky also occur at a slightly earlier point than in the original version.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:51 pm

I guess it's also worth noting Blue Water DB had a different Opening/Ending on Toonami UK than it did on YTV (although Toonami would occasionally slip up and air the YTV OP/ED).

From what you guys are saying it sounds like the Blue Water DB and GT airings differed in other minor ways too. I actually remember the GT montage thing being mentioned before.

When it comes to Westwood Z there doesn't seem to be any specific examples, aside from YTV having a different ending for the Buu saga. Basically I've never seen any proof of a less cut version, but absence of evidence isn't necessarily proof it doesn't exist. It's just strange that CNX would choose to go with a more edited Ocean version if a less edited version existed, as they had no problem airing the less edited Funimation version.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:52 am

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:51 pm I actually remember the GT montage thing being mentioned before.
Interesting. Do you happen to remember if the Japanese credits were present there?
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:51 pm Basically I've never seen any proof of a less cut version, but absence of evidence isn't necessarily proof it doesn't exist. It's just strange that CNX would choose to go with a more edited Ocean version if a less edited version existed, as they had no problem airing the less edited Funimation version.
It is possible the Westwood dub was also edited this way from the start, but we probably won't know until we have YTV, CN NL and Yorin airings to confirm this.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:35 pm

Gilby1385 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:52 am
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:51 pm I actually remember the GT montage thing being mentioned before.
Interesting. Do you happen to remember if the Japanese credits were present there?
I meant I'd seen someone else mention it on this forum before, more than one person actually. I've only seen the UK broadcast myself, which as others have mentioned was cut down to avoid showing the Japanese text.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:05 am

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:35 pm I meant I'd seen someone else mention it on this forum before, more than one person actually. I've only seen the UK broadcast myself, which as others have mentioned was cut down to avoid showing the Japanese text.
Oh, right. Guess I misunderstood.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:09 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:38 am The only differences I'm aware of between YTV and Toonami UK for the Westwood dubs are motion blur filters (to reduce epilepsy risks) applied to the UK airings. Allegedly GT episode 64 also had its full montage present on YTV whereas in the UK it was cut to remove the Japanese text scroll, but I've never seen a genuine YTV capture of episode 64 to confirm this. Someone once directed me to an alleged clip of this, but it would have been really easy to fake it, so I wouldn't take it as evidence since it's just the one clip.
I remember seeing a possible YTV capture on YouTube over a decade ago. It didn't look like something edited, but I'm not very sure because YTV doesn't have the watermark. I found a CNX recording after that and was surprised that it lacked the entire montage scene.

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:10 pm

I have every episode of DB and DBZ recorded on VHS from YTV in SP speed all digitally transferred. I can check any particular scenes if anyone can specify.

Its been a few years since I've been active in this community to prevent burnout but I've recently decided to make a return again. From the top of my head if I can recall there may have been a few scenes that were altered I'd have to check and search.

Regarding GT episode 64 it has the full credit scroll and I know because I own my own recording of that. YTV also does have watermarks it appears periodically every 5 minutes or so as an animation, that clip your referring to had it because it was mine. Heavily compressed and uploaded it just to show some people it existed since they kept asking me.
Last edited by DBGod on Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:40 pm

DBGod wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:10 pm I have every episode of DB and DBZ recorded on VHS from YTV in SP speed all transferred. I can check any particular scenes if anyone can specify.

Its been a few years since I've been active in this community to prevent burnout but I've recently decided to make a return again. From the top of my head if I can recall there may have been a few scenes that were altered I'd have to check and search.

Regarding GT episode 64 it has the full credit scroll and I know because I own my own recording of that.
That's great! Hopefully you can get them all digitised and uploaded someday!

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:54 am

Gilby1385 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:40 pm
DBGod wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:10 pm I have every episode of DB and DBZ recorded on VHS from YTV in SP speed all transferred. I can check any particular scenes if anyone can specify.

Regarding GT episode 64 it has the full credit scroll and I know because I own my own recording of that.
It's too bad he's lying his ass off. He just has handouts from various people, including me and ran off with these things, but he has nowhere near what he's leading on. I'm sorry to potentially get another thread locked but I don't want anyone actually engaging with this guy.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:57 am

Arian wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:54 am
Gilby1385 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:40 pm

It's too bad he's lying his ass off. He just has handouts from various people, including me and ran off with these things, but he has nowhere near what he's leading on. I'm sorry to potentially get another thread locked but I don't want anyone actually engaging with this guy.
Oh yeah, I've heard about that. Maybe someone else can help out with that.