Toyotaro must stop copying kishimoto

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Toyotaro must stop copying kishimoto

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:58 pm

Yes seriously... after so much shit that I have seen in the previous chapter and the current one it is clear to me that Toyotaro is only recycling things that he has seen in the generic shonen and forgetting what made dragon ball feel like dragon ball .. .
-we have granola as an avenger of his race as sasuke :roll:
-we have gas using ninja techniques... capable of damaging planet destroying guys.... :thumbdown:
-we have flashback after flashback of the main character's father as an eternal fanservice.... :crazy:
what's next now?

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Toyotaro must stop copying kishimoto

Post by Lionel » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:32 pm

I actually got more Enishi vibes from Granolah but that might have to do with some of the aesthetics chosen for him, namely the hair.

Having said that, I've also noticed certain things that seem to be more than a tacit nod to Kishimoto's work -- Granolah's perception enhancing red eyes, Goku's ki avatar used briefly against Moro, ect. Inspiration and pointers from a fellow artist is fine but I think Toyotaro could stand to be a bit more subtle about it. I assume he also looks to others besides Kishimoto for inspiration, yes?

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:45 pm

I could say the same about certain YouTubers that will not be named. I tend to look at this as him being respectful and showing his respect to his fellow mangaka.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:43 am

So does this mean that Granolah will sacrifice himself to save Goku and Goku will say that he was the coolest guy? :think:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:53 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:58 pm-we have flashback after flashback of the main character's father as an eternal fanservice.... :crazy:
No, thanks. Though, for sure, I would agree that Dragon Ball doesn't need to have flashback as often and as many as Naruto does, as it stands, Dragon Ball does need to use more flashbacks.

I never saw anyone complaining about flashbacks in One Piece, so maybe the amount of it in there might be the perfect balance (not too much, but not too little. As all things should be). If Dragon Ball can reach that balance, all will be well.

Hopefully the usage of flashback as we are seeing in Granola saga becomes a bit more frequent from now on. Some of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z sagas, as well as Baby saga could have really used it too.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:38 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:43 am So does this mean that Granolah will sacrifice himself to save Goku and Goku will say that he was the coolest guy? :think:
That brought back the cringe I had when I first saw that, to be fair Granolah is nothing like Obito.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:42 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:53 am
Tai Lung wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:58 pm-we have flashback after flashback of the main character's father as an eternal fanservice.... :crazy:
No, thanks. Though, for sure, I would agree that Dragon Ball doesn't need to have flashback as often and as many as Naruto does, as it stands, Dragon Ball does need to use more flashbacks.

I never saw anyone complaining about flashbacks in One Piece, so maybe the amount of it in there might be the perfect balance (not too much, but not too little. As all things should be). If Dragon Ball can reach that balance, all will be well.

Hopefully the usage of flashback as we are seeing in Granola saga becomes a bit more frequent from now on. Some of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z sagas, as well as Baby saga could have really used it too.
I was one of the unknown many that despised the flashbacks in One Piece and Naruto

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:07 am

Super entirety was full of "inspirations", maybe from less known shonen. Not a lot of people here noticed how much from BAKI THE GRAPPLER was 'inspirational' (let's say that) to U6 Arc.

In the years of DB absence, shonen genre evolved a lot and so it's hard to find something actually new. But some situations are a bit too extreme to be just 'references'.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:27 pm

KentMan wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:42 am
Grimlock wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:53 am

I was one of the unknown many that despised the flashbacks in One Piece and Naruto
OH NOOOO, yeah, I also really dislike the abuse of flashbacks in many manga and was really disappointed to see it in the Broly movie and the Granola manga. It's a real pacing killer and, honestly, the fact that Dragon Ball doesn't spend so much time explaining and justifying its character's history and actions is part of what makes it so fun to read.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:41 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:58 pm -we have granola as an avenger of his race as sasuke :roll:
Read Hunter x Hunter.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:10 pm

batistabus wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:41 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:58 pm -we have granola as an avenger of his race as sasuke :roll:
Read Hunter x Hunter.
it has more resemblance to sasuke especially in how granolah was manipulated

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:22 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:27 pmthe fact that Dragon Ball doesn't spend so much time explaining and justifying its character's history and actions is part of what makes it so fun to read.
It's also one of the factors why the characters and their motives are generally so shallow and underdeveloped.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:05 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:22 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:27 pmthe fact that Dragon Ball doesn't spend so much time explaining and justifying its character's history and actions is part of what makes it so fun to read.
It's also one of the factors why the characters and their motives are generally so shallow and underdeveloped.
Yes and no. On the one hand, its true that DB is more of a plot-oriented story than a character-driven story. But on the other hand, there is some subtlety to the characters that a lot of people don't seem to appreciate. I certainly wouldn't call most of the cast "underdeveloped".

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:27 pm

Toriyama showed a flashback of at most 3 panels which was often enough...
with toyotaro going to extremes you have toppo explaining jiren's past in a giant speech bubble and now he spends an entire chapter on bardock FB ...

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:32 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:27 pm Toriyama showed a flashback of at most 3 panels which was often enough...
with toyotaro going to extremes you have toppo explaining jiren's past in a giant speech bubble and now he spends an entire chapter on bardock FB ...
Well I’m not complaining the TOP manga version was fine as it is. The Moro and Granolah arc is something else though.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:51 pm

I'm not sure if these were necessarily inspired by Kishimoto but I think DBS took some inspiration from modern shonen like for some of the antagonists. Also the concept of Beerus and Whis being masters introduced early on and the main character working the whole series to surpass. I've only seen that in modern anime since new masters in the original were usually surpassed within the same saga. I don't mind since DB was inspired by several stories that came before it so why not some that came after :thumbup:.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:02 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:51 pm I'm not sure if these were necessarily inspired by Kishimoto but I think DBS took some inspiration from modern shonen like for some of the antagonists. Also the concept of Beerus and Whis being masters introduced early on and the main character working the whole series to surpass. I've only seen that in modern anime since new masters in the original were usually surpassed within the same saga. I don't mind since DB was inspired by several stories that came before it so why not some that came after :thumbup:.
What are you talking about? Jiren and Broly are above Beerus well actually I don’t know about Broly though. Than you have Whis and his dad. But that being said shinobi or the things they do aren’t invented by Kishimoto. Anyone who knows Japanese history and culture would know.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:46 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:10 pm
Read Hunter x Hunter.
Ah yes, I forgot Granolah was Goku's best friend. I had completely forgotten all the time Granolah and Goku spent together prior to this arc. I also forgot how Granolah was betrayed by his brother, Flakes, who helped kill all the Cerealians.

The red eye that can see well isn't particularly unique (because it's in a lot of stuff), but equating him to Sasuke just because he went through a genocide is pushing it. They're much more different than similar. And whereas Sasuke's whole character arc is one of descension until the very end, Granolah's is very much the opposite.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:27 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:46 pm
Read Hunter x Hunter.
Ah yes, I forgot Granolah was Goku's best friend. I had completely forgotten all the time Granolah and Goku spent together prior to this arc. I also forgot how Granolah was betrayed by his brother, Flakes, who helped kill all the Cerealians.

The red eye that can see well isn't particularly unique (because it's in a lot of stuff), but equating him to Sasuke just because he went through a genocide is pushing it. They're much more different than similar. And whereas Sasuke's whole character arc is one of descension until the very end, Granolah's is very much the opposite.
it was manipulated to go against the protagonist and good characters...basically like sasuke against naruto or itachi

a but if apart from red eyes, you add shadow clones, ninja attacks and FB use that occupy entire chapters ... you literally can't deny it

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:53 am

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:27 pm
Dragon Wukong wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:46 pm

it was manipulated to go against the protagonist and good characters...basically like sasuke against naruto or itachi

a but if apart from red eyes, you add shadow clones, ninja attacks and FB use that occupy entire chapters ... you literally can't deny it
Yeah but as I said earlier Kishimoto did not invent those. They had clones before in the original dragon ball. They did have ninja attacks I found anyone remember ninja Murasaki. And even before that it’s part of Japan’s history with real shinobi and Samurai.