How many countries received the Big Green dubs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

How many countries received the Big Green dubs?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:56 am

This pertains to home media releases specifically, because the only broadcasts I'm aware of are the Toonami UK airings in 2005.

The earliest releases I know of are the Bridge Entertainment DVDs (not sure if they were released on VHS) of Z movies 1-9 and I think the two TV specials.

Z movies 2-4 were released on VHS and DVD by AB Groupe in association with Warner Vision in the UK and Ireland around late 2003.

I'm also aware that there were Scandanavian DVDs (not sure which countries in particular) which included these dubs.

Interestingly I've never heard of these dubs being released in France, even as an extra audio track, which for me casts doubt on the claim that AB Groupe (who distributed the series DVDs in France) produced them, and makes it seem more likely that much like the Westwood dub they only distributed it, possibly giving the dubbing studios strict deadlines to get them on TV and put on the physical releases.

OG Dragon Ball movies 1-3 and the GT special have never received a home release and were exclusive to Toonami UK, although luckily fan recordings have survived.

Is there any other releases I'm missing information on?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: How many countries received the Big Green dubs?

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:15 am

I can only speak for the Netherlands, but we got some of the movies (2-4 like you said) on VHS with that dub. They were actually my introduction to Head Cha La and Kikuchi's score!
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:47 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:56 am I'm also aware that there were Scandanavian DVDs (not sure which countries in particular) which included these dubs.
They didn't include them, but the Scandinavian dubs were translated from them (much like how a lot of other European dubs were translated from the French dub). They were released in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:43 am

Planet Manga released DBZ Movies 1 - 3 on VHS in 2001, French dub, Polish voice over, guess Big Green dub was based on French translation, since there are lots of identical/similar lines.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:12 pm

So I've been doing some more research on the Big Green dubs' release history, and got some stuff to add here.

Having searched a number of Dutch sites now, it appears that at least the first 6 Z movies with the Big Green dub were released in the Netherlands in 2001. They were distributed by Bridge Entertainment on DVD as well as VHS, and interestingly it seems they were released in pairs, or at least the first couple were.

Over the years I've heard 2001-2003 being thrown around as the timeframe these DVDs from Bridge were released, but I figured it would be a neat idea to document some precise release details.

I also find it interesting the movies were seemingly released in such a short space of time, as it gives credence to David Gasman saying they were recorded in a hurry.

As of now, I can't find any info on when Z movies 1-2 and 7-9 were released. Rough guess now is early-mid 2001 for the former, 2002/3 for the latter, maybe with a gap between as the second article I list below seems to indicate Bridge's release of the series was planned for January 2002.

In this article Eric van Ballegoie reported August 21st 2001 was the release date for movies 3-4.
Similarly, here is confirmation movies 5-6 were released November 6th that same year.
Can anyone confirm when exactly Z movies 1-2 and 7-9 were released on DVD/VHS in the Netherlands? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: